Not sure if FJR is right for me

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You might take the time to try the FZ-1. There is a touring pak that you can order. You won't have the nice electric windshield, of course, but that is not too important to some.

Another option for the FJR is to convert the handlebars to a moto-style bar. I believe there are several conversion kits.

I had to do pretty much all the same things you did to my bike too. I also put on a taller windshield it should take some of the pressure from the wind off. I can ride 400 to 500 miles in a day without to much trouble. I had a burning feeling in the back of my neck after just a short ride to. That's when I started changing things, I'm not sure which one or the combination of all of them. But I don't have the neck pain anymore.
I have the Cee Bailey taller windshield, crampbuster also, I don't know what else I can do. I will try concentrating on riding position. I don't have the pain no other time, only when I'm riding maybe I can build up those muscles, I willing to try anything.

I had to do pretty much all the same things you did to my bike too. I also put on a taller windshield it should take some of the pressure from the wind off. I can ride 400 to 500 miles in a day without to much trouble. I had a burning feeling in the back of my neck after just a short ride to. That's when I started changing things, I'm not sure which one or the combination of all of them. But I don't have the neck pain anymore.
That's exactly what I'm feeling its a burning feeling behind my neck in my trapezoid muscle I'm not in bad shape for my age (52) could it be my helmet? I have a KBC FFR modular, it is on the heavy side but all modulars are I've using the same helmet for 3 yrs now you would think I'd be used to it by now.

Going to and from Americade, I had a lot of time to make some observations about my bike, it feels like I'm riding on top of bike instead of on the bike, if you know what I mean. I'm still getting pain behind my neck no matter what I try. I have a Corbin seat, grip puppies, throttlemeiser, Heli triple clamp. I had Harleys and I didn't like them either. I love the look, the speed the handleing of the bike but after while on the bike I start getting the pain. The trip is only a 160 miles from my house and we stopped once due the rain coming in, but I get the pain on shorter trips also. I'm not sure what is the right bike for me, any suggestions would be appriciated.
Pat, all of the above suggestions are good ones, but I have one suggestion that may be very useful: GIVE THE BIKE AND

YOURSELF SOME TIME TOGETHER. Farkles are great, and they help customize the FJR to your personal requirements, but

it takes time and miles to identify and understand exactly what continues to hurt, and what is merely pain associated from

muscle groups that you have not exercised for some time. I promise that your riding pleasure will grow with additional

time spent on the FJR. Relax, enjoy, and give yourself the time to discover the true joy of a great sport-tourer. :rolleyes:

Gary Green

Pain in the upper back (shoulder blade area and up) is indicative of leaning on the handlebars. Google the Master Yoda riding position mentioned in the previous post. It works. Instead of rolling your lower back forward to get to the bars, you roll forward at the hip joint, keeping your back straight. You back and thighs support your upper body, the same as they do while walking, and you should have no weight on your arms and shoulders.
To find out if you're doing it right, let go of the bars. If you had to shift your weight to let go, then you're not in the correct position.
I've read the Master Yoda riding position, I must be stupid, I really don't understand when it says bend at the hips not at the waist. Isn't that the same thing? I'm not sure how to apply his method, I willing to try anything because I really do like the bike.
Think "make your back concave" rather than "slouching". Make sure your arms are relaxed (simple check: can you easily draw your elbows in to clear them from your view in the mirrors? Flap them, even!). Don't grip the handlebars tightly. In general, relax; learn to use your thighs and buttocks to hold your position, not your arms and back.

Then build up your saddle time gradually.
I try to remember to arch my lower back a little and take the weight off my arms and shoulders as often as I can, but find myself slipping back to bad habits frequently. I think it takes a lot of saddle time to get this posture as second nature. But it does work. I try to ride with my hands just barely resting on the controls.

I really don't understand when it says bend at the hips not at the waist. Isn't that the same thing? I'm not sure how to apply his method, I willing to try anything because I really do like the bike.
Generally, the motion you make to lean forward, like a stage actor taking a bow, is to bend at the waist. That would be the wrong motion. Imagine taking that bow, but keeping your back arched as much as possible so as to stick your ass out high. The spine remains as straight as possible, you're bending at top of your legs.

Put the bike on the centerstand and sit on it, hands on the bars. Arch your back while still leaning forward towards the bars, and feel how your ass rolls up. It feels like you're sticking your ass out for someone to kick! :) That's the difference between leaning forward from your hip (ass stick back) and leaning forward from your back (slouching.)

Main thing is what I said before. If you have to shift your weight to let go of the bars, then you're probably slouching, bending at the waist (spine curve) instead of the hip joint. Your back shouldn't bend to reach forward.

It was an adjustment I had to make. I still have to remember it sometimes, I find myslef slouching to what feels more comfortable, but then I realize the comfort is short lived, and the pressure on my shoulders will catch up with me. I got excrutiating pain in my shoulders, not my neck, when I first got the bike.

It will also help to keep the pegs under the ball of your foot and not the arch, although I move my feet around quite a bit to help my aging knees.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bear with me here. Last year was was doing some cleanup and maintenance around the farm after a tornado went through. Next morning my neck was killing me. Thought it was just cause I was old. Long story short, I now have 2 1/2" of titanium attached to my cervical spine. Pain free.
I didn't know there was an issue. That day of work aggravated the problem enough to get my attention.

If you've tried other bikes, other positions, and you're sure you're not super tense when you're riding then go get it checked out. Might be something going on that you otherwise wouldn't know about.

Having said that, all the above are great ideas...especially the Ms Yoda position practice.

Good luck.
Slade,

Same thing with me, C5-C6 fused in May 2007 (titanium plate, like you), May 2010 C4-C5 fused. I'm a real active guy, with an outdoor job, love to cut firewood, ride mules, ride FJR's Hike, fly in helicopters/small planes, hunt fish, you name it, etc.. Right now (since I can't ride until August 1 while I recover), I'm figuring out ways to make the FJR less hard on my neck. I ride via the Master Yoda position, I just ordered a Rifle windscreen to hopefully reduce buffetting, etc. and am going to at least put some "risers" on the handlebars to bring my arms up. I can't even imagine not riding, so I'm doing what I can.

What brought on the latest "pain in the neck" was clearing an acre of land of trees (in less than 4 hours) for an employee via chainsaws (after a winter of relative inactivity, re: out of shape). I'd bet similar to cleaning up after a storm!

If one gets neck, shoulder, back pain that goes unabated for awhile, one might want to see their Doc! Like you, after surgery, I'm pain free!

I added a Sargent seat, peg lowering kit, and risers which allow the bars to come back further than stock. This provides a more classic seating position.

I added a Sargent seat, peg lowering kit, and risers which allow the bars to come back further than stock. This provides a more classic seating position.

I want to thank everyone for their great suggestions. I will try Master Yoda's way, but as some suggested to get more time in the saddle I had this bike since 07, I'm not sure how much more time I need. I will also try to strengthen those muscles involved to see if that helps, like I said before I really don't want to sell the bike.

I also played with the angle of the bars I took one of the pins out so I could rotate them even more. I had the same pain so I know what you are talking about. I try to remember to ride with my back arched to take the pressure off my hands. It seems I have more thing hurt when I'm slab riding. As long as I'm riding a curvy mountain road all is good. I guess you are moving around more and you thinking and working harder so you don't have time to think about the aches and pains as much. It took me time to get it all worked out, my wrist will still hurt a little sometimes. That burn in the back of your neck is hard to deal with. I'm not sure what made it stop for me, but I'm sure glad it has. I love my FJR now and wouldn't take anything for it. I wish you the best and hope you get this work out!

Could it also be pressure from the windshield? I recall having some issues with air pushing me forwad forcing me to push on the bars before I did the Cal-Sci style cutouts on my stock shield. Take a spin with no shield on it at all and see if that helps.

In addition to all of the great suggestions you have received, I recommend wearing a back support brace, the type that you wear when you're doing heavy lifting, when on the bike.

In addition to providing extra support to your core muscles, it basically forces you to ride in the correct posture that everyone is describing where you bend at the hips instead of arching your back. I've been using one for years and it is essential for me if I'm going to be on the bike for more than an hour or so.

Can't believe we have to buy so much and do so much to ride comfortably.

I try to remember to arch my lower back a little and take the weight off my arms and shoulders as often as I can, but find myself slipping back to bad habits frequently. I think it takes a lot of saddle time to get this posture as second nature. But it does work. I try to ride with my hands just barely resting on the controls.
to this day i will occasionally find myself tensing up. it's a gradual thing that i don't notice as it's happening. i just cover it in the routine i do every half hour while riding.

try to flap my elbows to make sure i'm not tensing up.

check my posture

extend my left leg and flex at the knee a few times, then rotate the ankle a few times

extent my right leg (after putting the left back on the peg) and do the same thing

go through a stretching/isometric routine with my right arm (elbow extended against muscle tension, rotate wrist, arm@shoulder, etc.)

repeat for other arm

stretch my back forward and backward and rotated around at the waist

repeat every 30 minutes

occasionally stand on pegs

occasionally dangle my legs (or alternate legs)

if you think you can sit in one position all day while riding, think about sitting in one position all day in your favorite easy chair. you can't do it without changing position (or getting up) occasionally. even the best situation requires you move around some to avoid pains and aches.

oh... and speaking of Cx fun and games... how about C5-C7 fusion 18 months before the 2003 IBRally? My biggest challenge was the fire running down my back starting on day 2 and never letting up while on the bike for the rest of the rally. From the top of my choulder blades down to the bottom of my rib cage my spine felt like someone had poured gasoline on it and set it on fire. I had to do lane change head checks by swivelling at the hips by day 4. truly a case of being my own competition (completion at all v "winning"). an honor to be invited and gad i wasn't forced to decline. believe me when i tell you isometrics help a lot while riding.

surgery.jpg

It's a wonder we even enjoy riding motorcycles anymore, you have to be conscious of everything around you when you go out for a ride since there are so many jerks on the road, I thank the lord every time I come home safely. Now there is one more thing I have to be conscious of, my riding posture. I don't want to sound like I'm complaining, but remember when we were in our teens and early 20's and we used ride we didn't have care in the world, how things change.