Nova Scotia Road Trip July 2009

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sport,

Cool, I have your MSN page book marked, though I did not leave a message. I will keep in touch, this sounds like a once in a life time ride.

S76 - Hey man, lets' do this!!

Ari - hope you can do this ride as well and ... whats this "NAFO Karting Champion, 2010" business under your Avatar?? Dude, in your dreams! Though I didn't make it to Golden, CO for the carting in time (too busy riding down from South Dakota with donaldb and Wombow) I think you didn't even make the top five?? Thought, hope springs eternal, doesn't it? :rolleyes:

V.

Last edited by a moderator:
Right on Violione.

I know Bigdaddy Dan has opened an invitation to the Concours Forum and I believe another Kawai forum. It has already been discussed that if/when the group grows, we'll pair the groups in 3 to 5 riders, as anything larger creates more concern than enjoyment. At that point, we'll look into providing overnight points so that each rider/group can meet up at the end of each day. Just an unrefined thought.

Really? I so want to do this ride. The guy I usually travel with (don't read into that) probably can't do this one, so I started planing to do it solo. I had it all mapped out for the GPS but didn't save it before someone else decided to use the computer. Oh well that's half the fun.

Not keen on camping too much but I have all the stuff needed and did do it once! LOL I can at least be your entertainment there.

Two years ago the wife and I attempted to ride around the Gaspe Penninsula in August and turned around because it was very cold and raining. We just weren't properly prepared for it. I'm just saying, you gotta have your basess covered when you head up there. Just because it's summer don't count on it feeling like summer.

If you guys come through CT on your way up there you will pass within 5 miles of my house. If not I can meet you whichever way you go.

Are you thinking of doing a loop around the whole Island? That is what I had planned but don't really care. Cabot trail a must of course. Takes several days 5/6 (?) to get around the whole thing and leave time to site see. (I'm guessing, didn't finish the route and do the math.)

Going to be interesting to see how this shakes out.

Cape Breton Island does not take 5 days to cover unless you stop at a few of the local watering holes. :rolleyes:
Correct me if I am wrong here Scott, but I was under the impression that these stops were mandatory. :clapping:

Pete

What Island are you referring to? Cape Breton Island does not take 5 days to cover unless you stop at a few of the local watering holes. :rolleyes: Canadian FJR
No I was guessing as to how long it takes to ride all the way around Nova Scotia and Cape Breton Island. How long does it take?

Total loop without doing Amherst is about 1000 miles but you couldn't run highway speeds the complete loop. In most parts you can go faster. :rolleyes:

New Glasgow is pretty much mid point. From home around the Cabot trail return is 400 miles (7-9 hours). To Yarmouth and back is around 550 miles (10 hours).

Canadian FJR

Hey S76 (Bob),

Oh yeah, this sounds like fun and it will make up for the KY ride you had to bail out on this year. :rolleyes: (kidding) Oh, riding up I will most likely be camping ... in hotels that is. But from what I have read about doing this trip is: A) it is some times hard to find a room in that part of Nova Scotia in the summer B) A sub - one Star Motel can cost each person $150 USD in peak season or more a night and C) The provincial parks are top notch, but some are primitive at best so do your home work. I think it to be a most wise plan to carry even the most elementary camping equipment if one is to ride the entire Island of Nova Scotia in the summer!

Sport,

Sound like fun even with other riders joining. I love motorcycles and I am not a Brand/model snob by any means! I like riding with other bikes/bikers; there's more questions to ask and bigger lies to tell. ;) I'll be watching for a few weeks and by the end of January, early February I should have a definite YES or NO as to my ride status.

Carry on Ladies and Gentlemen

P.S. So Ari, did I scare you off Ole Kaptian of the Karting Klub? :)

Canadian FJR,

Pardon moi, I never looked at the map between Sackville and Amherst that closley, damn there IS land there! However; the northern tip of Nova Scotia IS an ISLAND, dammit! [Cape Breton Island, Nova Scotia] LOL :rolleyes:

Two years ago the wife and I attempted to ride around the Gaspe Penninsula in August and turned around because it was very cold and raining. We just weren't properly prepared for it. I'm just saying, you gotta have your basess covered when you head up there. Just because it's summer don't count on it feeling like summer.
IMHO it's more rainy around here in July than in August. Girlfriends and I rode the Gaspe mid September 2007 and it was beautiful - except for the pouring rain on Sept 15 from Campbellton NB to Fredericton ;)

IMHO it's more rainy around here in July than in August. Girlfriends and I rode the Gaspe mid September 2007 and it was beautiful - except for the pouring rain on Sept 15 from Campbellton NB to Fredericton ;)
Thanks for the input.

You guys hear what Mary Ellen said. Dryer in August or September. Just a thought.

Mary Ellen,

You going to join us?

Thanks for the input. You guys hear what Mary Ellen said. Dryer in August or September. Just a thought.

Mary Ellen,

You going to join us?
Thanks for the invite! I'm still angling to go to CFR. But if I don't get out to BC (highly likely I won't), I have to do SOMEthing so joining you is a distinct possibility. I haven't done the NS coast yet (just Cape Breton and part of the Sunrise Trail from Pugwash to Wallace). I'm a nurse so getting time off is always a major pain but I'll keep an eye on your plans :)

Thanks for the input. You guys hear what Mary Ellen said. Dryer in August or September. Just a thought.

Mary Ellen,

You going to join us?
Thanks for the invite! I'm still angling to go to CFR. But if I don't get out to BC (highly likely I won't), I have to do SOMEthing so joining you is a distinct possibility. I haven't done the NS coast yet (just Cape Breton and part of the Sunrise Trail from Pugwash to Wallace). I'm a nurse so getting time off is always a major pain but I'll keep an eye on your plans :)

Perfect credentials! The way we ride a nurse is the second most needed thing after gasoline. :)

Hey S76 (Bob), 

Oh yeah, this sounds like fun and it will make up for the KY ride you had to bail out on this year.
:rolleyes: (kidding) Oh, riding up I will most likely be camping ... in hotels that is. But from what I have read about doing this trip is: A) it is some times hard to find a room in that part of Nova Scotia in the summer B) A sub - one Star Motel can cost each person $150 USD in peak season or more a night and C) The provincial parks are top notch, but some are primitive at best so do your home work. I think it to be a most wise plan to carry even the most elementary camping equipment if one is to ride the entire Island of Nova Scotia in the summer!

Whoa! $150 PP is too steep for me. Camping it is then. Put me on your Campee training list. And by the way if you and Sport are going up through Ct on I84 I am in the northeast just a few miles off the highway and can accomodate a few people for an overnight stop. We have a house we are renovating and it has three beds, hot water and all. You are welcome to it going up and coming back if you want. It's 650 miles to Moncton NB from that point, one day easy.

Edit: It's 500 miles from V Beach to Stafford. It's 330 miles form York PA to Stafford CT. This could be the meeting point for us all. From Stafford Ct we would go up through Worchester MA and up 95 through Maine.

Just a thought.

Last edited by a moderator:
OK for the record ....

First, Canadian FJR ..... that first ride with you was a test - that I failed :blushsmiley: So YOU should be the one to show the US guys a good time

Second, the only camping I'd be doing is on a double (queen is better) bed :p

Third, I'm an OR nurse and you DON'T want to be going there! ;)