Now Garmin's making me mad

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm having problems with my 660 right now. My voice prompts are using different volume levels at different times.
I don't know if this is a 66x feature, but with the latest 550 software, the volume will cut about 50% when you are stopped or moving less than about 10 mph. It returns to full volume after you return to speed. I'm just assuming they carried that to the 66x series.

My Garmin 660 is also shutting down pretty regularly! It is getting old and when I call in it now goes to VM and they want me to leave a message? Really, Garmin needs to step up their game.

My Garmin 660 is also shutting down pretty regularly! It is getting old and when I call in it now goes to VM and they want me to leave a message? Really, Garmin needs to step up their game.
update your firmware to 3.90. its suppose to stop the shutdown issue.

greygoose

Does the 660 fit in that little compartment in the left front fairing of gen II's? I don't have an FJR yet.
it does not fit in the compartment.

GreyGoose

I don't know if this is a 66x feature, but with the latest 550 software, the volume will cut about 50% when you are stopped or moving less than about 10 mph. It returns to full volume after you return to speed. I'm just assuming they carried that to the 66x series.
I've never seen that before. I should watch that next time I'm using it. I have not seen any reference to this in the manual. I also spent over an hour on the phone with a tech support guy and his unit worked fine with the same firmware as mine. His unit did not waver from its volume while mine was flipping between different volume levels. We were both using simulation mode.

His suggestion was send the unit back to get a replacement. But then I have to pay for shipping and then I get a refurbished unit back. Mines only 3 weeks old!

Since it has a 1 year warranty I'll wait till winter to return it.

update your firmware to 3.90. its suppose to stop the shutdown issue.
greygoose
Thank you I thought I was running the latest version. It will be nice to not have it turn off all of the time on its own. :yahoo:

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, the update came sooner than I thought. Looks like I won't have to call Garmin.
The other day while Patch was trying to get a hold of a person at Garmins Tech-support, he got on the internet support site and reported the problem. Their response was that they would get back within 3 days...We were not sure if that was true, but get back they did...He called me about 9:45pm our time and told me he had just gotten an email with the solution. We have NO idea why the guy on the phone didn't tell him to try this, but that sure woulda made our lives easier...So, the fix was to do a Master Reset.

Since the phone support guys at Garmin want to make you beg for it, I'll post it up here just in case:

With the unit off, use your finger or a pencil eraser (I used the eraser) and touch the bottom right corner of the screen as if selecting a button. Then press and hold the power button until the unit turns on and release the button.

The unit will ask you if you are sure you want to reset the unit and give you "yes""No" boxes. Choose yes if you want to reset and then follow the other prompts just like when you took it out of the box...Like you want it to speak English.

Viola...Problem solved.

Now I don't have to yell at anyone and my unit is working fine. How stupid is that?

Thanks for those that helped, especially Ashe, who called me right before Alex did and tried to walk me through a fix.

It's too bad the 660 wont support .WMA files because now I am going to have to convert about half my music. I guess I don't really have that much anyway, so it shouldn't be so bad.

Man, I'm relieved that I don't have to deal with this anymore...I think I'll wait on the next update...haha.

Thanks, HotRodZilla! I just sent my NFG zumo 550 in and rec'd a replacement "refurbished" unit. For $150, of course. It Looks absolutely brand new. It seemed to be working normally but when I actually used it for the first time this morning, it didn't seem to have any maps installed. It showed only the major state road I live on. When I went to enter an address to navigate, I tried to spell the name of the state. It never heard of Maine. Well, that's understandable, so I tried Texas, Utah and a few others, same result.

I tried this procedure and everything seems to have come back to normal. Great!! I really dreaded having to sit around all day to get connected with Garmin CS again and get the usual run around.

I've never seen that before. I should watch that next time I'm using it. I have not seen any reference to this in the manual. I also spent over an hour on the phone with a tech support guy and his unit worked fine with the same firmware as mine. His unit did not waver from its volume while mine was flipping between different volume levels. We were both using simulation mode.

His suggestion was send the unit back to get a replacement. But then I have to pay for shipping and then I get a refurbished unit back. Mines only 3 weeks old!

Since it has a 1 year warranty I'll wait till winter to return it.
OK, that is different..... I would send it back. The "refurb" one will likely be a new one. Waiting will let them get the other bugs out.

Last edited by a moderator: