Now you can throw your mirrors away!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wonder how it is at night - glare could be horrible, I would think, without some filtering.
Apparently they thought of that! ;)

The optic system has a filter that filters brighter light. not as much natural light. If the Sun is too bright from behind it reacts with the filter. The best thing is to get the lid or speak to someone with one They will explain how great the system is. You have to try it, I know its a bit of sickner for those who have just purchased another helmet without the rearview option. I would also be bit sick about that

Very slick but I wasn't comfortable with the forward view reduction. Maybe they had it pulled down more for the cameras but it seemed a big blind spot. I'd look like a rear deck quppie doll trying to keep it updated.

Apparently it only works if you're driving on the wrong side of the road :lol:

I can barely make out my instruments clearly now. How will I be able to focus on something only inches away?

I'm pretty intrigued by this. Motorcycle mirrors in general are a big weak point to me, and the FJR's in particular aren't even among the better ones IMO. I rode a bicycle to work for several years and really liked the clip-on mirrors sold in every bike shop for about $10 that just fastened to the left temple piece of glasses or sunglasses and offered a very complete rear view with just a tiny head motion--took virtually no time to get used to. Something like this:

62.gif

Nothing like that would work on a moto helmet, mostly because it would get knocked off or bent every time the helmet was laid down. I tried a product called "Bug Eyes" mirrors, supposedly for m/c helmets, but immediately rejected them for that same reason.

greenhelmet.gif

So now there's this. It looks promising, even if it means another helmet purchase. I'd have to try one on though, and so far can't seem to see where to find them. Looks like they've been around--in England, anyway--since about '05, so it seems like they should have some U.S. distribution. Anybody know?

Very slick but I wasn't comfortable with the forward view reduction. Maybe they had it pulled down more for the cameras but it seemed a big blind spot. I'd look like a rear deck quppie doll trying to keep it updated.

I concour; however, it could e just a matter of setting the helmet on the head correctly, and not so far down.

My other concern is the $500 price tag. A bit steep now...hopefully that will come down.

Over all, very slick idea! Look forward to trying one in the futers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe Wheatie is thinkin 'close up' .. :chickawow: Probably not a wide field of view at pillon range but with enough complaints they could fix that. :p

Marty's got a good point though. It's gotta be easier to ignore the drumming on your helmet when you wick it up if you can't see it coming. :eek:

Back on topic :rolleyes:

...I can barely make out my instruments clearly now. How will I be able to focus on something only inches away?
IIRC from my optics class, your eyes will be focusing on whats behind you, not the surface of the mirror.

...You could redirect the camera ...
I realize this was humour, but just for clarity, there is no camera... it's a series of mirrors!
I wonder how well it would work in moist air in the cold. Don't think you'd see a thing.

And I'd think there is potential for it to get dirty and it'd be a PITA to remove liner pieces to clean.

At the $500 price they are talking about I think I would have to have a test ride first.

I'm still interested. Looked at several sites where they were reviewed, incl. an article in WebBikeWorld, and their own website. Reviewers liked it--the optics part--and agreed that it's a short adjustment period only. Minutes. This is in line with my own experience with the sunglasses-mounted mirrors I've used riding a bicycle. The mirror isn't "in the way" any more than the rear-view mirror in the middle of the windshield of your Toyota is.

I'd have liked to see/try on one of these, but couldn't find any info on US dealers, so I sent an email to Reevu. They replied today with a link. It seems they are only now beginning to ship worldwide, and anybody interested still has to order from them in the UK. Cost is 249 Euros, right now about $350. Here's the link. I probably won't be sending for one--largely because I really don't like a full-face helmet. It's just too claustrophobic for me, so I use a modular. But I'm still tempted, and if they put one in a flip-up, I'd be all over it.

I hope somebody here decides to give it a go. I'd love to hear what you think.