numb throttle hand gone forever

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stu

Reaction score
Just thought that I would post the results of my installation of Helibar risers on my 05 FJ--NO MORE NUMB THROTTLE HAND!!

Vibration?? -- not the cause. Stiff Throttle Springs?? only if you have the hands of my great grandmother should it be a problem. Get the weight up off your hand with these risers and you will ride with a lot more comfort. My hand was going to sleep within 15 minutes . Last week I did a seven hour ride up through Algonquin Park with no numbness-- the day after Heli Risers went on. Heli risers are offset so that htey move the bars up and back.

Also installed some rider foot peg extensions---- probably contributed to a more comfortable position also but the handlebars were no longer just there to prevent me from sliding forward---- therby creating too much pressure on the palm and arterioles supplying the muscles in the hand with the blood carrying O2 needed to rebuild the ATP in the muscle cells. Yes I am pleased and when I pick up my custom seat from Lew in Whitby this week I feel that I can now ride all day with no butt breaks or hand breaks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Stu

curious, how tall are you?

and second, where/what brand are the foot peg extensions?

Stu,

I had the same problem with my throttle hand. Put the risers on. Helped some. I had to have the center spring cut on the throttle cable to release the tension on the throttle. This helped a lot, but voided my warranty on this. Prior to cutting the middle spring my Throttlemeister did not even hold the throttle. You have minor symptoms of a carpal tunnel syndrome. You have been putting pressure on the median nerve in the hand. Try the throttle deal if you still have trouble. If you still have trouble with your hand consider the surgery.

Brain Surgeon

I had to have the center spring cut on the throttle cable to release the tension on the throttle. This helped a lot, but voided my warranty on this.
This will not void your entire warranty! The only way Yamaha can deny a warranty claim is if they can claim that your modification caused the failure. So if your ignition switch fails, there's no way they can claim that your reduced throttle return tension cause that failure and deny warranty.

What the hell is an "arteriole"? Is it kinda like a hemorroid in your hand?

Way I understand it, the Helis offer two positions - one a bit sporty and the other for increased comfort. Would love to see pix so I can compare the two. (I have the risers paid for and on on order, so I need to decide their position.)

Hey Stu baby, think you're tickled with THAT farkle? Try a set of "Tacki Grand Touring Grips".

You'll thank me later. This info is coming from a confirmed carpal tunnel sufferer in BOTH wrists. Bar risers did nothing.

The Grand Touring grips solved the problem immediately.