Nuvi 500 + GPX Files -- How?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mohan

Reaction score
I have a hard time loading GPX files into my Garmin NUVI 500. I think i did try all permutations and combinations. Still No Luck - Not sure what is wrong. Ayone have a Primer/101 on this (Any links/clues)?

The typical way is to open the route in MapSource while you have your GPS connected via USB, then just use the "Send to Device" icon. When you unplug after the transfer, the GPS then should boot up....... may be a button under "User Data" which allows you to import new data... if it doesn't come up automatically.

If the Nuvi has an SD card which shows as another drive letter, copy the file to that, then do the "Import new data" sequence. Sorry, I'm not a Nuvi user.... you can also go to the Garmin website for support and their FAQ for your model.

I have a hard time loading GPX files into my Garmin NUVI 500. I think i did try all permutations and combinations. Still No Luck - Not sure what is wrong. Ayone have a Primer/101 on this (Any links/clues)?
I use the ride planner from the HD website. You plan your route, click on GPS Synchronization and it will automatically load on to your Garmin. If you don't have the necessary plug in from Garmin it will prompt you to download that first. All very, very easy...and completely free. Check it out.

https://www.harley-davidson.com/wcm/Content...;bmLocale=en_US

I have a Streetpilot 2730, and don't know if it can take a GPX file and use it. I open the GPX file in Mapsource, then have it recalculate so it becomes a regular route with turns and all that, give it a cool name, then send it to the GPS.

From what I see of the manual on Garmin's site, you can copy a GPX file to the GPS using the drive letter it appears as to the PC, or you can transfer a route from Mapsource to the device. If you already have a GPX file and don't need mapsource, then when it's connected to the PC the GPS should be a drive letter, just as if it were a USB hard disk or thumb drive. Use Windows to just copy the file over. They should be available under the "My Data" menu, Import route from file.

I don't have a 500, this is just what I glean from the manual online at Garmin.

Last edited by a moderator:
hmmm i have a nuvi 550. i open the gpx file in mapsource and then mapsource "transfer" > "Send to device" then a box opens saying find device. assuming your nuvi is usb connected, the nuvi500 will appear in the device box, chose what you want to send (map, waypt, route, track) and press send...