OEM Saddlebags, anyone have a viable alternative?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
If there is one thing about my FJR1300 that just drives me batty, it is the saddle bags. I absolutely hate them! Side open bags are always bad to begin with. Having to key lock/unlock all the time stinks. Their stowage capacity sucks (as is the nature of side open bags). Stuff constantly gets jambed in the closure making it a battle to close the bags. Anyone out there have or seen a viable way to mount decent aftermarket (or factory TOP OPEN Yamaha) bags to the FJR? Has anyone found bags that work well? Look like they belong there? If there is already a thread about this, I welcome the link!

Most brands of after-market cases could be mounted to the FJR. They would look a bit "different" but might serve you well. None of them are cheap.

You would have to take the mounting kit and probably do some fabrication.

I believe Givi actually made a mount for the FJR, but I can't be sure. Givi has the Trekker range ... Expensive but they look good.

Although the OEM bag liners have their own share of bulk, I use those. Also I've learned to carry less, lots of us have too much shit in there. Top box helps, but I keep it minimal too.

I know that an owner has fitted a Givi E41's on a Gen 2.

I don't know how he modified the wing racks from a Gen1 ?

The only company, I know of, that makes pannier racks for a Gen2/3 are H&B

I've had the Journey panniers on 3 FJR's, about 42L side loading

You could fit the top loading Gobi panniers.

The locks and levers are balky, and stuff does get hung up easily, but they come with nice factory liners if that's a problem for you. Their stowage capacity is excellent. Big time. Once you get the hang of it, it's easy to use them. There isn't a readily available aftermarket alternative, but they're pretty darn good as they are. If you want easy in easy out without bending over, with a smooth lock, with similar or greater storage capacity, get a Givi 357 rack and a top case. Get two keys cut, grind them down and put a radio knob on there if you don't want to use a key. I had two extra keys cut and put "remove before flight" flags on them. I toss them in the glovebox or tour pack when not in use. The flags make them easy to find and grab.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know of any replacements. Never looked for any...

I have no problem with my side cases. Using a key is fine with me. I don't want to leave them unlocked anyway. They hold everything I need to carry and nothing seems to get jammed.

Sorry... can't help you.

If you don't put a some loctite on the little screws on the locking mechanism inside... you will really hate them...
smile.png

You know, now that you mention it, while bavarian bags don't open from the top, the city cases I had on mine had a partition going a third of the way up the bag from the bottom, so when you opened the case, there was still a wall partway up keeping things from falling out. Very convenient. Of course, this same feature prevented larger items or liners from being used in the cases easily. Definitely prevented putting a 12 pack in them. Not that I ever tried....
no2.gif

Bill Lumberg posted: Get two keys cut, grind them down and put a radio knob on there if you don't want to use a key. I had two extra keys cut and put "remove before flight" flags on them. I toss them in the glovebox or tour pack when not in use. The flags make them easy to find and grab.
Ding! Ding! Ding! Saw the flags on your bags while in Kingsport, but only at a glance. My only beef with the factory hardcases is the mandatory key requirement. Your multi-key solution is a great idea, and I'm stealing it. Added benefit is that you have multiple keys if you lose or break one.

Most brands of after-market cases could be mounted to the FJR. They would look a bit "different" but might serve you well. None of them are cheap.
You would have to take the mounting kit and probably do some fabrication.

I believe Givi actually made a mount for the FJR, but I can't be sure. Givi has the Trekker range ... Expensive but they look good.
Twigg, thanks for the imput. I am not surprised that GIVI came up, they seem to be the most involved in the sport touring....

Although the OEM bag liners have their own share of bulk, I use those. Also I've learned to carry less, lots of us have too much shit in there. Top box helps, but I keep it minimal too.
Yes, I have learned over the years to downsize, but my Harley spoiles me sometimes! I use a soft bag for the 'top box' I don't want a big ole box there all the time. I am considering just going to soft bags as much of to time I tool around town or hit the twisties with the bags off.

I find the OEM cases to be high quality, waterproof, good looking and wholly inadequate for rallying and touring. They are a horrible shape and too small inside. I know others vary on this point.

I would love to be able to fit a set of "Adventure-style" panniers for those trips. The only reason I haven't yet investigated is cost.

The locks and levers are balky, and stuff does get hung up easily, but they come with nice factory liners if that's a problem for you. Their stowage capacity is excellent. Big time. Once you get the hang of it, it's easy to use them. There isn't a readily available aftermarket alternative, but they're pretty darn good as they are. If you want easy in easy out without bending over, with a smooth lock, with similar or greater storage capacity, get a Givi 357 rack and a top case. Get two keys cut, grind them down and put a radio knob on there if you don't want to use a key. I had two extra keys cut and put "remove before flight" flags on them. I toss them in the glovebox or tour pack when not in use. The flags make them easy to find and grab.
Right on, already got the keys cut and like the knob idea, was wondering how to handle that.

Givi makes the PL357 mount for the FJR1300. The problem is finding one - I got mine several years ago from a bike shop in England. It cost as much to ship it as the cost. I can now use any Givi Monokey luggage. On long trips I use two E35 side cases and an E45 top case.

https://www.motozone.co.nz/products/accessories/luggage-road-dirt/other-2/givi-pannier-hardware.aspx

With these mounts you could use any Monokey top-loader cases.

scroll down the page above and you'll see it shows as in stock in a New Zeland shop.

GEN III liners work a heck of a lot better than prior versions. Although capacity is less than others, the OEM bags just took the SO and me on a two week trek to Spearfish w/o too much drama. Key is to pack less $h!t and use what ya brung!

OTOH, my Tenere with top opening bags probably holds double what the FJR does...

YMMV

--G

GEN III liners work a heck of a lot better than prior versions. Although capacity is less than others, the OEM bags just took the SO and me on a two week trek to Spearfish w/o too much drama. Key is to pack less $h!t and use what ya brung!
OTOH, my Tenere with top opening bags probably holds double what the FJR does...

YMMV

--G
I think the side opening design is actually the bigger issue with me than the reduced capacity.