OEM Top Box Questions

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve Scheer

Reaction score
So after reading some of the old posts about top boxes in general, I have a couple questions about the OEM top box for the current models (say 2010 on up):

1) The older top box design required an installation bracket which I assume replaced the cargo/tie down platform on a stock bike. Does the current design still require that platform? If so, once you have it on, it just stays there all the time, whether you have the top box or not?

2) My understanding is that the top box comes off when not needed or to take inside the hotel room, etc. as desired. Am I correct?

The only time I had a top box on an FJR was when rented a couple bikes, and they were not the OEM boxes, and I did not try to take them off. I do NOT like the appearance of any top box on an FJR, but I'd like to have one to use when I travel for multiple days or even make those grocery store runs a little more practical.

Thanks in advance for the answers I know y'all will be quick to post.

--Sven

My 06 has a plastic base plate that sits on top of the rear deck. It can be removed if not using the top case. If you were taking your case into the motel room, of course the base plate would remain on the bike.

Steve, The OEM box DOES require an additional mounting rack, (for an additional fee) to be mounted over the factory rack. The box does a quick release so it is very easily made portable for safety or convenience. It looks good in matching paint.

The down side is it only holds 1 helmet due to the sturdy 2-wall constuction. Also, there is a recall requiring a metal base be added for rigidity on the bottom of the box (for free).

You'll get more stuff in the box with a Givi or a Shad. The OEM box is tall and narrow, and while the post above called it sturdy double-walled construction, that's a polite way of saying it ain't nowhere as big inside as it is outside.

If you've been reading, you know also that the Givi steel-tube rack is way stronger than the factory plastic rack.

MaineFJrally002.jpg

Here you can see the oem trunk base plate that gets bolted to the bikes rear rack but I modified a givi rack and attached the base plate to it. Like one of the others said the yamaha rear rack is only plastic.

NewapartmentandFJR004.jpg

Then this is the trunk on the back of the bike. So it does come off and on easy and I like the fact the bike is keyed the same for everything on the bike. Yes the trunk doesn't hold as much as the aftermarket ones. but I like the oem stuff and it works for me. I hope the pictures help some.

Thanks to all for the quick responses and the "dumbed-down" answers. I especially appreciate the pix.

I saw a black one with the OEM top box with the backrest accessory last night on Beale, but I never saw the owner. Otherwise i could have had a quick demo.

I know from reading the previous threads that a lot of people want the top box to hold two helmets. As I mentioned, every top box I have seen on an FJR (OEM or otherwise) looks ungainly...too tall and too wide to look right. My ideal top box would be smaller, color matched and key matched...about the same size of the side cases.

On the rentals, I found I used the top box as the place to hold the things I used a lot on the road: camera, maps, snacks, jugs of gatorade, one helmet while stopped,..basically a glorified glove box!

Oh well, as some old codger sings: "You can't always get what you want...."

Thanks!

I just bought a top box for my 2006. There are 4 pieces that complete the box. They are the box, the mounting bracket, the foam back rest and the lock. It was quite pricey. Twice a year the local Yamaha dealer a 25% off sale. That's when I bought mine.

I'm told the lock cannot be keyed to match the ignition and side bags. I also read somewhere that the factory included the top box lock with all bikes in case the owner wants to add a top box.

Last edited by a moderator:
You're told wrong about the lock. It can be keyed by ANY competent locksmith.

And yes, every bike comes with three locks that match the ignition key. Two are used by the dealer to set up the side cases, and the third is stored under the seat for use if the Yammy topcase gets purchased. Ignorant savages don't know what the lock is for and lose it, resulting in poor slobs like you having to buy one somehow. Or just as likely, ignorant dealers keep them, hoping the buyer doesn't realize he's supposed to get it.

I bought my topcase from a fellow member and had it rekeyed by a locksmith. It was no big deal, about 20 bucks and he threw in a few keys :yahoo:

On the rentals, I found I used the top box as the place to hold the things I used a lot on the road: camera, maps, snacks, jugs of gatorade, one helmet while stopped,..basically a glorified glove box!

Oh well, as some old codger sings: "You can't always get what you want...."

Thanks!
then you want a Corbin smuggler - not cheap, but really expensive way to go, but way cool

(takes the place of the passenger seat by temporarily covering it over)

and about the oem trunk mount rack, I believe / think the recall was only for Gen 1 bikes

google "fjr smuggler"

GalaxyBlue_FJR1300_trunk_sm.jpg

FJR1300AE_Corbin4.JPG

I bought a used Smuggler and a used top box, (both in the only good color these things were ever painted, Black Cherry), and it's nice to have all the options....

And yes, every bike comes with three locks that match the ignition key. Two are used by the dealer to set up the side cases, and the third is stored under the seat for use if the Yammy topcase gets purchased. Ignorant savages don't know what the lock is for and lose it, resulting in poor slobs like you having to buy one somehow. Or just as likely, ignorant dealers keep them, hoping the buyer doesn't realize he's supposed to get it.

"Poor Slob" I'm solidly middle class thank you very much. And I bathe when needed.

I suspect the dealer kept it in this case. The original owner who kept everything (and I mean everything) wasn't aware of this lock. He did indicated that he got into a p*ssing contest of sorts with the dealer (which he won) over documentation fees.

Very helpful info here and it's good to know about keying the lock.

Gotta go, smells like it's time to take a bath.

"Poor Slob" I'm solidly middle class thank you very much. And I bathe when needed.

I suspect the dealer kept it in this case. The original owner who kept everything (and I mean everything) wasn't aware of this lock. He did indicated that he got into a p*ssing contest of sorts with the dealer (which he won) over documentation fees.

Very helpful info here and it's good to know about keying the lock.

Gotta go, smells like it's time to take a bath.

Luv it!

I bought a used Smuggler and a used top box, (both in the only good color these things were ever painted, Black Cherry), and it's nice to have all the options....
Like jmdaniel, I've got them both too, I don't do bitch, so I don't need a passenger seat, as my wife got her own ride. For me the OEM box together with the smuggler, priceless, I was able to fetch both for about 40% less of Ebay, so I was able to spare me too much pain in my wallet. Corbin is truly charging an arm and a leg for the smuggler.

The lock also off ebay was reeked like the other already stated, 15 buck and 30 mins did the trick.

You can detach the box in the same fashion as the saddle cases, so you can carry it were ever you want to.

Since you want color-keyed and reasonable but useful size, I'd recommend a Givi 46, or a Coocase. Shorter, cheaper and more useful than the OEM top box, IMHO. I have the OEM with the recall plate, it's never been abused, and it has stress-cracked at the front and the bottom..... ruined. I have been meaning to post up some pics.... soon. The aftermarket boxes are more robust.

Can anyone with the OEM top box tell me if the bolts used to secure the plate are longer than the original bolts that are installed on the bike. The box I bought didn't come with bolts, and I know if you buy new, new bolts are included.

Can anyone with the OEM top box tell me if the bolts used to secure the plate are longer than the original bolts that are installed on the bike. The box I bought didn't come with bolts, and I know if you buy new, new bolts are included.
I went and took a bolt out, those are M8 x 50mm, about 2.5" long with a 5mm Allen head.

I hope this helps.

I went and took a bolt out, those are M8 x 50mm, about 2.5" long with a 5mm Allen head.

I hope this helps.
Thanks! That's what I needed to know!

@RaYZerman19

Would you mind showing a few pics! I've got a few Q's, i hope you don't mind:

-How did you get the recall plate for the OEM box, I've bought mine of Ebay,

-Can I just walk up my dealer and request it?

-What do you think makes those stress cracks? To much load or plain structural integrity?

Thanks a lot