OEM Top trunk Backrest doesn't fit well..(question)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mihalis fjr

Reaction score
I tried to install the oem backrest in my top trunk and i noticed that it doesn't fit well..

I screwed firstly the four front bolts and i noticed that the upper piece of the backrest where it fits in the upper side of the trunk with the two bolts doesn't alignment with the upper line of the trunk..There is about two inches+ space between the backrest and the trunk.I must bend it two+inches to screwed the two upper bolts,but i am afraid if i will do that it wιll break..

Have you noticed this when you installed the backrest?Is it normal?Or something going wrong with my backrest?It is brand new 5jw-w0772-00

Thanks in advance for your replies!

I just installed a new backrest on a new OEM trunk for myself, as well as fixing up a used one on my buddy's FJR.

Yes, I noticed the same thing.

The installation requires drilling the holes with the provided guide. I then installed the portion of the backrest on the front of the trunk (portion that sits against the pasengers back) with the provided screws - as you did.

I found the top porion of the rest needs to be bent into place and then the screws installed; however, the provided screws are too short. Additionally, on the used trunk I fixed, I noticed that the provided screw had been used and had pulled through the plastic from the inside. Essentially, the screws provided for the top portion of the rest are too short and the head is too small.

I went to the local hardware store (Lowes) and obtained two longer dome screws of the appropriate thread and two fender washers (large overall diameter of approx 3/4" with small hole). The extra length of thread and the washers were installed inside of the trunk and they have worked lkike a charm for 2000 miles!

My wife didn't want the backrest installed on the OEM trunk because it pushed her too far forward. With the back armor in her riding coat she is perfectly comfortable.

It should not be happening this..It is a factory and expensive accessory..

The backrest don't following the shape of the trunk and the screws are not the correctly..

Really,it should not be happening..

Only, i don't know if some pieces are faulty from the factory..

Perhaps some more guys where they will read this thread and they have installed this they can say if the same happened and to them..

So waiting for more replies..

I just installed a new backrest on a new OEM trunk for myself, as well as fixing up a used one on my buddy's FJR.
Yes, I noticed the same thing.

The installation requires drilling the holes with the provided guide. I then installed the portion of the backrest on the front of the trunk (portion that sits against the pasengers back) with the provided screws - as you did.

I found the top porion of the rest needs to be bent into place and then the screws installed; however, the provided screws are too short. Additionally, on the used trunk I fixed, I noticed that the provided screw had been used and had pulled through the plastic from the inside. Essentially, the screws provided for the top portion of the rest are too short and the head is too small.

I went to the local hardware store (Lowes) and obtained two longer dome screws of the appropriate thread and two fender washers (large overall diameter of approx 3/4" with small hole). The extra length of thread and the washers were installed inside of the trunk and they have worked lkike a charm for 2000 miles!
Thanks for the detailed info!

Some guys pm me and told me that this shape is not normal..other guys told me that it is normal..

I really don't know what is going wrong here with the mama Yamaha..?!Perhaps a faulty lot..??!!
rolleyes.gif

Anyway..Thanks for your replies!
smile.png