OEM Trunk

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

motoman47

Reaction score
Hey Gang! I have a trunk that cracked on lower front portion. It's the newest one with the metal plate (stamp on inside shows to be made 07). I wanted to know if it is possible to remove the inner portion of the bottom trunk? I have taken the screws out and have ran a razor knife around the edges. It loosened up but wont separate yet. I have noticed a few pop rivets but have not gone any further. I wanna make a sandwich repair using JB weld, aluminum and stainless screws,and fender washers. I would like to get to the inside portion to make the repair. Any suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Matt

From Texas

How is happened?Overloaded or your passenger leaves all his weight on the backrest?Did you drove in gravel roads?

Had the same problem with my OEM sidecase. Contacted Garauld from this forum. I shipped it to him, he repaired the crack and repainted the lid. Can't even tell it was ever broken.

I've heard this happening on the Yamaha OEM top case as well as folks cracking their sub frame directly below the case.

Do as Ieclairk suggest and contact Garauld. He does some pretty amazing repairs from everything I've heard over the years.

Baring repairing the OEM case... If it were me, I would get a Givi Monokey Top case as others have done. It has the 3 contact points of the OEM truck but also two beefy side bars that connect into the frame below the pillion seat..

If you go this route, make sure you get the Monokey version (not the Monolock, the Monolock is a bit flemsey. Givi intended the Monolock version to be used on scooters).

When you have Givi top case mount you have several case options. I have a B33 for day rides and a larger E55 Maxia for over nights. The nice thing about the Givi trunks is if you have multiple bikes, you can easily move the cases from one to the other. Also, the cases are water proof like the OEM case.

Pictured: E55 Maxia - fits 2 full face helmets!

php0GTegB.jpg