OES Frame Slider Install question...?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rexford

Reaction score
Okay....getting ready to install my OES frame sliders. Any of you guys that have them on your bike, can you answer a quick question for me? The install notes inform me to remove engine mount screw then lightly lubricate supplied screw and install the frame slider and torque to 35 ft lbs... what type of lubricant? Like Antizeize?

Awaiting with baited breath....and thanks alot.

Rexford

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't have my instructions in front of me, but I think it said to use blue loctite. That's what I used and I have had no problems.

Okay....getting ready to install my OES frame sliders. Any of you guys that have them on your bike, can you answer a quick question for me? The install notes inform me to remove engine mount screw then lightly lubricate supplied screw and install the frame slider and torque to 35 ft lbs... what type of lubricant? Like Antizeize?

Awaiting with baited breath....and thanks alot.

Rexford
I just used a light oil probably some thing like wd40. Wipe off the excess. You should check the torque on these occasionally as they may loosen

up as mine have.

"These sliders have

high impact strength and use 6061T6

aluminum inserts which are pressed in.

Without the inserts, the engine mount

screws would need to be tightened on a

regular basis."

You are not supposed to have to retorque these. Now you are going to make me check. :)

I think about any light oil will work.

On initial install, I used blue Loctite. Within 5k. Miles they were backing out and I was getting vibration from it. I don't think the blue Loctite can withstand the heat cycles.

Anyway, I loosened them and retorqued them with a better torque wrench. No Loctite that time, and they have been tight for the last 34k.

Well,......heck, now I am really confused. I appreciate all of the responses but dad gum, Note says to lubricate, some people say do not, some say to use locktite and some put it in dry............? If I knew how to do a survey this could have been fun! I will hold off and gather more data from you guys then run an analysis on retrieved data and go from there.

Rexford....confused in Dallas.

Just happen to check mine the other day and noticed the bolt on the right side has rusted badly. Apparently it isn't stainless or galvanized. I removed it and soaked in ACF-50 and retorqued. Going to have to keep an eye on it from now on. :angry:

I have some OES sliders and I don't remember having to lube the bolts. I did put some blue locktite on them. I really don't think you can go wrong as long as you torque them to the right torque and you check them on a regular basis (every oil change or so). just put em on and go ride...