Oh no, I have a ticker

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roadrider

Reaction score
I was looking to improve my AVCC installation (add a check valve and vacuum tank) and I was noticing some increased vibration in the bars so I thought I'd tackle the engine bolts re-torque and TBS to smooth things out. I was all finished with the engine bolts and cruise and started the motor to warm it up to do the TBS. I was reviewing the service manual instructions when I heard some noise. I thought maybe it was my neighbor doing something in his driveway but thought that was weird since it was about 9 PM. I passed it off and went about the TBS when I noticed the noise about every 10 seconds, off and on. It was a scraping or rattling noise. I started listening closer and sure enough, it was coming from the left side of the motor near the exhaust header.

I HAVE THE START OF THE DREADED TICK!!!

If it wasn't for the fact I was in my garage and had the fairing sides off I might not have even heard it. It sounds like a small metallic piece of something inside a much larger piece of metal. Imagine rattling a screwdriver tip inside of an engine cylinder, something like that. It just rolled over 26,000 miles so a valve check is in order. I’d normally check the valves myself but I'm thinking about having my local stealer check the valves and mention the noise to him and see what he says. It may be too early to do much because it can almost be written off at this point as "normal valvetrain noise". I've read all about the infamous FJR ticking issue on this and other boards (thanks Warchild) but I don't remember hearing anyone with this many miles getting the problem.

Does anyone here know if many owners have had this fixed gratis by Yamaha out of warranty? I thought I was in the clear. I'm very sad now. :(

btw: I rode it into work today and the bars are much smoother and the AVCC works perfectly. :)

I would suggest workiing with a dealer you trust to go to bat, and focus on how you think emissions are affected by this. You don't want to do something like spew oil out the tailpipe and harm the environment.

I've read all about the infamous FJR ticking issue on this and other boards (thanks Warchild) but I don't remember hearing anyone with this many miles getting the problem.
My 04 started about 26K also, and was repaired at 36K under the Yes warranty. Yammie been fixing them out of warranty to in the US. Good luck bro, find a GOOD dealer to work with. I drove to a dealer almost 3 hours away because of their reputation, and they were great !!

Roseville Yamaha rocks !!

Noticed my '03 ticking at 28,000. Fixed by Yamaha for free, out of warrantee. Just find yourself a good dealer who will take care of it all (contacting Yamaha and dealing with them.) for you. Good luck.

I would suggest workiing with a dealer you trust to go to bat, and focus on how you think emissions are affected by this. You don't want to do something like spew oil out the tailpipe and harm the environment.
Ditto!

Noticed my '03 ticking at 28,000. Fixed by Yamaha for free, out of warrantee. Just find yourself a good dealer who will take care of it all (contacting Yamaha and dealing with them.) for you. Good luck.

Ditto!
I finally got my local dealer to recognize my tick. Bought the bike used and was not schooled on 03' tick problems and thought the noise i heard was normal. I came off a 87' concours which was rough around the edges and thought the fjr was a world of improvement. I was brushed off as an "internet hypocondriac" and told that "all R1 based motors made this valvetrain noise". I took it in last week because of a TPS reacall and mentioned to them that if they called their Yamaha rep he/she should be aware of the valve guide metal problem and the ticking noise. A day later my mechanic called me and said they were aware of this problem and will fix the problem gratis! So they (yamaha) are still covering the problem if you have the valve clearance checked first at your expense. This is as of 06/11/07. My bike is an 03' with 18000k. The tick is noticeable at idle but much more at constant throttle at approx 40 mph at 2900-3500 rpm.

Good luck. I might bring easy to read printouts of this problem to the dealer if they are not used to working on FJR's. My dealer is med sized and they have sold very few FJR's. A mechanic saw mine and said "yea, we don't see many of these." so they may need some written proof. Taking mind in Tues for the big job. Hope it does not eat up most of the summer!!

Mine was repaired at 22,000, and it's starting to make noise again at 33,000. Next time I'm going to YOC for the repair. No worries....I'd rather have a repaired one than one that hasn't been yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is what you do.... at the first sign of ticking just trade it off and be done with it.That is what Iam going to do the dealers don't care just get rid of it.

Mine showed up at about 26k as well. Repaired under the YES warranty by Roseville Yamaha and saved me at least $400.00 for the 27,000 mile valve adjustment. Think of it as a free top overhaul and a $400.00 savings. It has been running strong ever since. There is no reason to trade and run.

Take it to a shop that already has experience with the "tick" repair.

But if the new ones don't tick ,and the dealers don't know about tickers anyway ,and if it is repaired it may tick again do yourself a favor and get rid of it as it is tainted and get a knew one.

But if the new ones don't tick ,and the dealers don't know about tickers anyway ,and if it is repaired it may tick again do yourself a favor and get rid of it as it is tainted and get a knew one.
It would seem to make sense that if Yamaha is footing the bill and you already have the bike including farkles, It certainly makes sense to keep the one you have. Mine has been unticked once but was done early on before updated parts were available and I wouldn't mind a valve job at 60k on thier nickle. Besides that it is one of the quicker silver ones :yahoo:

"Take it to a shop that already has experience with the "tick" repair. "

My '05 ex-ticker was repaired at 18.5k miles and now at 44.5k miles it runs STRONG.

And mine was the first repair the shop had done.

Good luck on yours.