Ohlins Rear shock Installation on a GenII

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

majicmaker

Reaction score
I was Lucky enough to win the Ohlins Shock at the EOM. I Googled the subject and have all the Procedures that have been posted up but, they are all Gen I procedures. They all have one thing in common. None of them have details on how to get easy access to the Upper Bolt. It looks like a Bear to get at. If anyone has experience with this on a Gen II, It would be most appreciated. :rolleyes: Otherwise.... It's looking like a shop visit. Any Advice? TIA. :) I have the bike half apart now and it looks like a lot of work. :unsure:

Last edited by a moderator:
Every Gen II year is different. I recently installed in a 2010 by removing the right side plastic only and moving an ABS line out of the way by removing one stubborn little bracket.

You will need long extensions and two people to hold nuts and bolts and achieve proper torque (unless you have octopus skills).

The rest is pretty much following the Gen I instructions.

Good luck.

Thanks for the reply Klunkshift, I had everything apart and when I saw what it will take to get to the upper bolt I said: F@#K This!! :lol: I went over to this Local Shop called Spider Racing,

I've known this guy for 10 years back when he was taking people's bikes and making them win races from under a shade tree. Now, this guy has a HighTech Operation and he told me that he'll install the Rear Shock and Make the Front Forks brand new with heavier springs and replacing all the bushings and seals for $500 Total OTD!

Back when he was starting out, all of us in the area had him do all the maintenance on our bikes and he never forgot it! Boy, is he cutting me a deal! :yahoo:

Sounds like you came up with a solution, just wanted to say "congratulations" on winning the shock. Cool! I'd be interested to hear your take on how much better it is than the stock one.

Sounds like you came up with a solution, just wanted to say "congratulations" on winning the shock. Cool! I'd be interested to hear your take on how much better it is than the stock one.
Thanks Phil, I'm still stunned about winning the Shock. I told Spider it was an Ohlins and even he said: Holy Crap! Coming from a Race bike guy, I guess that's a good sign. He said when he's done, it'll ride like its on Rails! I'll definitely post up what it feels like. Perfect timing too. At 58K miles, the front and rear were feeling a bit worn. But, they did just fine on the Twisties in Hendersonville!!! :lol: :clapping:

Congrats on your find!

I have 35,000 on my FJR and got a Penske rear shock and GP Front Fork Suspension kit installed by KFG Racing in Auburn Wa, at 30k miles. This the 3rd best farkle on my 09. The first being my Russell Saddle the second my Cee Bailey's windscreen. The FJR stock is very under sprung. You are going to love how your FJR handles - it truly transforms the bike. TIP: My Penske rear shock has an adjustment to increase the rear suspension height, thus making the bike easier to initiate a turn. KFG Racing are suspension experts and they set mine up about 3/4 inch higher. Love it!

Those that say the FJR is heavy have a stock suspension and stock tires, (aka Road Tec Z6's ). The stock set up on my bike made the bike feel heavy and hard to counter steer. A few hours on a twisty road left me exhausted. Road Pilot II tires made the biker easier to initiate a turn - huge difference. The suspension upgrade is the icing on the cake and at 30k miles my stock suspension was shot.

Just for kicks I am going to try a set of BT023GT cause forum member escapefjrtis recommended them. George is one smart guy and I trust him completely! At first I did not want to believe George that the FJR was under sprung. Then I road his bike. Within a month or so my bike was set up like his.

You will enjoy your transformed bike!!!

Congrats on your find!

I have 35,000 on my FJR and got a Penske rear shock and GP Front Fork Suspension kit installed by KFG Racing in Auburn Wa, at 30k miles. This the 3rd best farkle on my 09. The first being my Russell Saddle the second my Cee Bailey's windscreen. The FJR stock is very under sprung. You are going to love how your FJR handles - it truly transforms the bike. TIP: My Penske rear shock has an adjustment to increase the rear suspension height, thus making the bike easier to initiate a turn. KFG Racing are suspension experts and they set mine up about 3/4 inch higher. Love it!

Those that say the FJR is heavy have a stock suspension and stock tires, (aka Road Tec Z6's ). The stock set up on my bike made the bike feel heavy and hard to counter steer. A few hours on a twisty road left me exhausted. Road Pilot II tires made the biker easier to initiate a turn - huge difference. The suspension upgrade is the icing on the cake and at 30k miles my stock suspension was shot.

Just for kicks I am going to try a set of BT023GT cause forum member escapefjrtis recommended them. George is one smart guy and I trust him completely! At first I did not want to believe George that the FJR was under sprung. Then I road his bike. Within a month or so my bike was set up like his.

I'm looking forward to it Fontana, when I won the shock, the Ohlins Rep was at the Banquet with us and he sat with me asking me all sorts of questions on my weight, Riding style, Passengers, Heavy Crap in my bags and he set me up with the right spring for my shock and how it works and how to adjust everything. Gotta say! It was a Most Excellent experience. Can't wait to feel that thing on my bike!! :clapping:

Congrats on your find!

Nice report and thanks for the ton of hints, especially for KG Racing, didn't know they're just around the corner.... Well you got me hooked and I'll give them a call.

Can I ask you, how deep did your pockets have to be, when you did your suspension? I need that, else my change request won't pass my highness (my wife ROFL).....

Concerning the Battlax, I have had BT022 on my GSX650F and BT016 on my GSX R750, IMHO, both tires been nice to have in the dry, but never gave me the response I needed in the wet. I went wit my GIXXER on the Puget Sound Safety A.S.S class at the Pacific Northwest raceway and to be honest, that tire frightened me in the beginning, as it was raining and I had a few close encounters, almost laying her down, especially in Turns 5a and 5b, as we rode this in the beginning clockwise and not counterclockwise as it was supposed to be.... Especially the front end felt very loose.. not cool for my licking.

Congrats on your find!

Nice report and thanks for the ton of hints, especially for KG Racing, didn't know they're just around the corner.... Well you got me hooked and I'll give them a call.

Can I ask you, how deep did your pockets have to be, when you did your suspension? I need that, else my change request won't pass my highness (my wife ROFL).....

Concerning the Battlax, I have had BT022 on my GSX650F and BT016 on my GSX R750, IMHO, both tires been nice to have in the dry, but never gave me the response I needed in the wet. I went wit my GIXXER on the Puget Sound Safety A.S.S class at the Pacific Northwest raceway and to be honest, that tire frightened me in the beginning, as it was raining and I had a few close encounters, almost laying her down, especially in Turns 5a and 5b, as we rode this in the beginning clockwise and not counterclockwise as it was supposed to be.... Especially the front end felt very loose.. not cool for my licking.
New suspension is not a cheap farkle. I don't recall the exact amount, but with installation, it was about $1750 or so. It is worth it. KFG Racing is top notch and I will take my bike back with my rear shock needs servicing.

As for the Balttlax, thanks for the advice. I will try a set and if I don't like them I can sell them to my buddy who does. I have a tire changer so I can remove them and find a new owner. Some say the last few miles on a PR 2 rear tire is skitterish but I have not noticed that either.

Ride safe.

@Fontanaman,

Thanks for the info, I thought so, lately you get what you pay for, and I'm glad we have a decent shop in the neighborhood. So that's pretty plus.

Ride safe!!