Ohlins Shock for the FJR13

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

motorcycle-ed

Reaction score
At first they said no, then they said maybe, now they say YES. Ohlins has a YA707 shock for the Gen II FJR. Has anyone run the Ohlins shock? With the 10% discount, Bike Effects says I can have it for the princely sum of $1022.40. Still not too bad for a top drawer shock with remote reservoir with floating piston, compression, rebound damping AND hydraulic preload adjuster. Heck that feature alone is worth the money. I sure would lke to confirm an opinion from someone running this shock...anyone?

ADDED: Anyone with rebuild/life info comparison with Ohlins and Penske?

Ed :unsure:

Last edited by a moderator:
At first they said no, then they said maybe, now they say YES. Ohlins has a YA707 shock for the Gen II FJR. Has anyone run the Ohlins shock? With the 10% discount, Bike Effects says I can have it for the princely sum of $1022.40. Still not too bad for a top drawer shock with remote reservoir with floating piston, compression, rebound damping AND hydraulic preload adjuster. Heck that feature alone is worth the money. I sure would lke to confirm an opinion from someone running this shock...anyone?Ed :unsure:
Just to let everyone know, the annual GPSuspension.com Group Buy will be starting up in about 2 weeks. Pretty sure the Ohlins will be offered, along with Penske series, etc.

FYI.

At first they said no, then they said maybe, now they say YES. Ohlins has a YA707 shock for the Gen II FJR. Has anyone run the Ohlins shock? With the 10% discount, Bike Effects says I can have it for the princely sum of $1022.40. Still not too bad for a top drawer shock with remote reservoir with floating piston, compression, rebound damping AND hydraulic preload adjuster. Heck that feature alone is worth the money. I sure would lke to confirm an opinion from someone running this shock...anyone?Ed :unsure:
Just to let everyone know, the annual GPSuspension.com Group Buy will be starting up in about 2 weeks. Pretty sure the Ohlins will be offered, along with Penske series, etc.

FYI.
Thanks for the Heads Up, Dale, might be able to save some additional bucks? What kind of savings do you typically see on this annual event?

Ed

Even better.... it appears from my early preliminary discussions with our vendor that we *might* be able to keep the same price structure as last year.... score! :yahoo:

I am trying to determine whether to buy the Ohlins or the Penske shock. Part of the decision is the rebuild cost/wearout time. Can anyone give me some experience on this? I am trying to do this while the OEM shocks are still usable so when rebuild time comes I can put on the OEMs while the rebuild is happening.

Ed

I am trying to determine whether to buy the Ohlins or the Penske shock. Part of the decision is the rebuild cost/wearout time. Can anyone give me some experience on this? I am trying to do this while the OEM shocks are still usable so when rebuild time comes I can put on the OEMs while the rebuild is happening.Ed
Ed,

You can count on at least 2 years of street service from a quality rebuildable shock according to my folks at GMD.

Ohlins has a service center in Hendersonville, NC.

There are race shops in Charlotte, Charleston, and Atlanta that can rebuild Penske.

See, that's what happens when you go so fast; you wear the shit out. Since I had to follow you, I figure you owe me a fresh set of tires! :p

Ed,

You can count on at least 2 years of street service from a quality rebuildable shock according to my folks at GMD.

Ohlins has a service center in Hendersonville, NC.

There are race shops in Charlotte, Charleston, and Atlanta that can rebuild Penske.

See, that's what happens when you go so fast; you wear the shit out. Since I had to follow you, I figure you owe me a fresh set of tires! :p

Yeah, right :glare:

Darnit! Here I was just about ready to go drop a bunch of money on a starcom system and you go out and do a group buy on suspension! Now I gotta get both!

I would like to get my Wilbers rebuilt and have the spring replaced with a higher rate spring. Does anyone remember roughly how much this will cost? I'm pretty sure that I asked this question previously but I can't remember the answer and I couldn't find it when I searched. It may have been answered by PM last time.

I would like to get my Wilbers rebuilt and have the spring replaced with a higher rate spring. Does anyone remember roughly how much this will cost? I'm pretty sure that I asked this question previously but I can't remember the answer and I couldn't find it when I searched. It may have been answered by PM last time.
When I had mine rebuilt last year in the group buy it was $269. The ride was so much better afterwards.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just put on my Ohlins YA 707 on my 2008 FJR and I have to say it was much better than I expected . I also own a 2006 FZ1 that I put a Penske on , while it was much better than stock it in no way is as good as the Ohlins on my FJR . It raises the back of the bike a bit but that is just because the bike does not squat now as it did with stock shock . Ohlins only brought in 2 to the US about 10 days ago , I had to wait 7 weeks for mine . But it was worth it . Dan Kyle at Kyle Racing in California is where I got it and his price was the best I found . One thing though , after you install the shock you realize how bad the front end is and will have to do something about it . Send it to Dan ( as I plan to do ) or find a good shop for the forks .

P.S went for a ride with the wife this morning and could not feel her behind me at all

even she could tell how much better the bike was , but then she has to be one of the most knowledgeable women around when it comes to this stuff . When I met her she was running her 2 kids kart racing by herself .

At first they said no, then they said maybe, now they say YES. Ohlins has a YA707 shock for the Gen II FJR. Has anyone run the Ohlins shock? With the 10% discount, Bike Effects says I can have it for the princely sum of $1022.40. Still not too bad for a top drawer shock with remote reservoir with floating piston, compression, rebound damping AND hydraulic preload adjuster. Heck that feature alone is worth the money. I sure would lke to confirm an opinion from someone running this shock...anyone?
ADDED: Anyone with rebuild/life info comparison with Ohlins and Penske?

Ed :unsure:

See the reply I posted today , I just put a Ohlins on a week ago .

When I had mine rebuilt last year in the group buy it was $269. The ride was so much better afterwards.
Thanks for the info. Did you get a different spring when you had yours rebuilt?

Thanks for the info. Did you get a different spring when you had yours rebuilt?
Yes - that included a new heavier spring. It handles and rides much better now with my wife on the back.

I installed an Ohlins YA 342 and a set of 1.2 kg/mm Race Tech fork springs on my 2005 FJR 1300 w/ABS. I had the suspension sag and damping adjustments set at the last track day by the official Ohlins dealer I purchased the shock from here in Phoenix. I just rode over to California for a Precision Cornering Clinic, spent all day on the Horse Theif Mile track and rode home today. My bike was transformed from a fun bike that wallowed to a true sport tourer. I let another student ride it after he had ridden his 2006 FJR on the track all day and he was truely amazed at how well my bike handeled and felt. He wants me to hook him up so that he can do the same mods.

By the way I have Roadsmart tires and they worked great on the track and on the highway.

I'm ready for the Ohlins ya 707 shock !!!! When will the GPSuspension.com group buy begin~Thanks

Check out the group buy in the vendors section at advrider. Read all the posts especially mine regarding the MS Live discount. I effectively got my YA707 for $750 shipped. It's a little tricky though.

Even better.... it appears from my early preliminary discussions with our vendor that we *might* be able to keep the same price structure as last year.... score! :yahoo:

As for what Evolutions Suspension in San Jose, CA came up with after looking at my bike with me (I had some serious handling problems because of a 41mm rear sag compared to a 55mm front sag); we agreed that a Ohlins rear suspension would be better than Penske because Ohlins can actually be adjusted to raise the back of the bike up. That means I have 100% adjustment on my rear, which I wouldn't have with Penske.

In my particular case I will need Ohlins. I'm just looking for the best price I can get on the YA707 before I order. Hopefully by next week it should be on order. Next step is to find the best front springs to fit to me.

Just a FYI.

Cheers