Ohlins Shock Model?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am going to replace the rear shock on my 2008 FJR and wondering what model I should buy. I know that the stock spring is under sprung for my weight (255) so that will help. I don't ride two up and I ride mostly with the same amount of gear in the side bags so I will not be adjusting the rider height. Do I need all three adjustment to get the best ride and feel safe while hitting the twisties..

Last edited by a moderator:
When I saw the title of the post I thought the question was going to be "How do you spell Ohlins?"

From what you describe about always having about the same weight while riding, it sounds like you can use the YA036 model. They will put a spring in it that matches your load and it will do the trick. I have one. That shock is amazing. :)

Majicmaker is in the ballpark (amazing, right?) For the Gen II, Ohlins has the YA-036 and YA-707. The primary difference is that the -707 offers a remote hydraulic preload adjustment - this is convenient if you frequently change the load on your bike - i.e. solo no bags to loaded, bags + top box + passenger. It offers easy adjustment. The -036, iirc, has the locking collars on the shock shaft to adjust the preload, which requires a bit more work to get to and tools.

I have the YA-707; I needed the bike to be able to adjust from the fully loaded 2-up, 3-bag configuration to empty play mode, many times during the same trip. It does that with a couple twists of the pre-load knob.

Yep, the -036 is pretty much the same shock without the remote adjuster. The spanner wrench comes with the shock and it's pretty easy to adjust if you absolutely have to. IIRC it's cheaper too.

Majicmaker is in the ballpark (amazing, right?) For the Gen II, Ohlins has the YA-036 and YA-707. The primary difference is that the -707 offers a remote hydraulic preload adjustment - this is convenient if you frequently change the load on your bike - i.e. solo no bags to loaded, bags + top box + passenger. It offers easy adjustment. The -036, iirc, has the locking collars on the shock shaft to adjust the preload, which requires a bit more work to get to and tools.
I have the YA-707; I needed the bike to be able to adjust from the fully loaded 2-up, 3-bag configuration to empty play mode, many times during the same trip. It does that with a couple twists of the pre-load knob.
Did you have this done at a shop in SE Michigan or did you do the install yourself? Been looking around for some place to do this….

In my case I won the shock as the grand prize in the raffle at the 2012 EOM. YEP! Lightning struck me that day. :D The rep from OHLINS was there and he asked me all sorts of questions about my usual load. I answered all the questions and he went to the trunk of his car and swapped in the right spring for me. Then I got home and had my local bike shop install it along with putting stiffer springs into my forks and I could not believe the difference. I've been a happy camper ever since.

I'm pretty sure you can call them up, give them some info and they'll set one up for you and send it to you and you can do the same thing. I'm right at 25K on mine and I called them up and told them I'll be in the area for this EOM and would like to get it serviced like I was told I could. But, the guy on the phone told me that they don't remove and replace them. They can just service it if you bring the shock (removed from the bike) in. That bummed me out but, I can get that done later I guess. I'll just have to be without a bike for a while.

You can buy the YA 707 from JC Motors rather cheap and order whatever spring rate you wish.

Ohlins have a crazy way to identify the rates, should have a chart somewhere if you want it.

UPDATE, they may not be selling them anymore ????