Ohlins spring rate for fjr

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fjr doc

Reaction score
From my past exp there was always some confusion when it comes to picking the ideal springs for a weight for a bike, esp so for ohlins complicated numbering. Is there any specific quirks when it comes to fjr and ohlins springs that any one aware of?

For eg in vfr they used to say go one lower or higher than chart recommended , forgot which was it. This was from collective exp from previous adopters of that after market suspension.

There's not a "one size fits all" spring rate. Assuming you're referring to the shock, then intended use, rider weight, luggage, pillion and more items all come into play when choosing a spring.

More info needed ...

--G

sorry, should have provided more info upfront - lazy when typing on the small screen phone haha

Ok now on desk top - information explosion,

bike: 2006 FJR

rider weight: 152lb // with gear 165 lb // carry an avg weight of 20lbs in the rear panniers

Almost always solo riding / aggressive street riding more exit speed less aggressive brake and corner entry / 90% time good pavement / most day rides are 500+ miles hence slight preference for comfort over razor sharp stiff handling

Race tech calculator was saying .87kg/mm (stock 80) for front and 17.9kg/mm (stock 9-11) for rear

an ohlins guy was recommending 90nm front and 130 nm rear /

from internet -came up with ohlins numbers this corresponded with 90 nm = 9.17 kg/mm and rear 13.25 kg/mm (i might be wrong on this )

please advice if these numbers will be good for my intended use ?

first time spending money on after market suspension :( with immense guilt that comes with spending money you develop paranoia that u will mess up the numbers and end up spending even more later
help.gif

There is a GP suspension group buy you might want to look at, they seem to do a pretty good job matching people up with appropriate spring rates. I am very happy with my setup with a Penske.

Great advice to check out the current GP Suspension group buy. In addition to good prices, you'll get great advice too!

Based on experience with the local PNW gang, your numbers look right in the ball park. With your weight and luggage, I would have guessed using a 750 - 800 lb/in spring on the shock and 0.90 kg/mm fork springs.

New suspenders will transform the FJR...you definitely won't be disappointed!

--G

Edit: Don't stress if you miss the spring rate on the shock. A replacement spring is less than $100 online and is a snap to change. I have a couple each for the Penske's on my FJR and Tenere...(it's an illness)!
weirdsmiley.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Ty guys, I just came across a good deal it was hard to pass, I always bother them guys with my100s of question bits( as you see above) so kinda felt I should buy from them.

Escape: thx for that real world comparison, that's what I was looking for. Now it's waiting game for new few days.. then weeks .... then months before we can ride :(