Ohlins upgrades front/rear worth it?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2Bull

Reaction score
Did you participate in the group buy last fall with Cogent? What are your thoughts now that the work has been done? Lets hear it. Thanks.

Did you participate in the group buy last fall with Cogent? What are your thoughts now that the work has been done? Lets hear it. Thanks.
I did not participate in that buy, but do have Ohlins suspension. There is no comparison to the stock at all. Absolutely worth the money. The level of comfort, handling, and confidence is several magnitudes better. I had mine done by GP engineering in Portland, OR, and recommend them highly.

I did not participate in that buy, but do have Ohlins suspension. There is no comparison to the stock at all. Absolutely worth the money. The level of comfort, handling, and confidence is several magnitudes better.
I had mine done with Penske's at 35k miles and the above is true. Instead of Wallowing in corners, now it plants like a Rail.

I did participate in the group buy. I have the YA-707 and Mr. Ashe massaged forks. However, I have very limited mileage (less than 200 miles) on the new setup due to the winter weather.

Background. Why did I do this? I explored the limits of the OEM setup during our fall tour last year. We spent 7 days on the road, fully loaded, 2-up, landing at a new hotel each night. We were traveling fully loaded each day. The rear shock just could not keep pace. By the end of the trip, it was beating us to death. My goal was set the bike up to handle these 2-up excursions better. I have yet to confirm this yet, time and weather permitting; we’ll get some 2-up miles on it soon.

I can say that solo, the bike has been transformed handling wise. It has been noted that Cogent’s setup on the rear Ohlins comes with an increased ride height. This translates into a much quicker turn in. My first thought was that it now feels what I remember a friend’s GSXR600 felt like; light and nimble. Turn in takes a much lighter press on the handlebar now to initiate lean, and steering more telepathic (i.e. think left, bike goes left).

The Ohlins also does a much better job (compares to OEM) at keeping the rear end planted. Many intersections here have ripples from the cross traffic; which would give the OEM shock fits under hard acceleration, allowing wheel spin in the lower gears. Now, it stays planted.

I’ll have a much better assessment in a couple of weeks as I hope to make a run south of the MI / OH border, so more to follow. At this point, I say it’s the best money someone else has spent for me…

Wayne

[/beginshamelessplug]

I am currently working another possible group purchase on some Ohlins YA-036 rear shocks (without remote preload), and my own front fork package is ready for prime-time. If you're interested, shoot me a PM.

[/endshamelessplug]