Ohlins YA 707

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Queensland Ken

Reaction score
Hi,

Just about to take the plunge and buy a set of Ohlins YA 707.

It's quoted that the standard spring rate is for a 85 kg rider, 190 lbs.

I've been looking on the forum and have found a few posts re spring rates, https://www.fjrforum.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=127816

I'm about 110kg, 240 lbs, and tour with the bike loaded up with all the gear for a week or two.

Has any member had any experience with the spring rates ??

It seems that a 150 or 160nm spring may be the choice ???

Need to know within a day or two.

Reason being is that the Ohlin YA 707 is on special until the end of this month, and have to make a decision in the next day or two.

Thanks

Ken

I did a little digging around and found the application chart from Ohlins ...

ohlin-application-chart-L.jpg

The spring they call for is a 1092-49 which as you stated was for the standard rider of 190 lbs. What we need to figure out now is the required Spring Rate. I found this chart which explains the numbers used by Ohlins for their springs ...

Ohlins-Spring-Chart-L.jpg

The first part of the number is the shock spring length. In the case of the 1092-49 the spring length is 170mm and you do not want to change the length of the spring since this is determined more by the stroke length and build of the shock. The last two numbers specify spring rate. The "-49" is a spring rate of 742 lbs/in.

GP Suspensions recommended for my bike a spring rate of 850 lbs/in and I weigh about the same as you. Therefore if I understand the chart correctly you should be ordering a 1092-59 spring to get the correct spring length with a spring rate of 857 lbs/in. I would highly recommend you check with your Ohlins dealer when you order to confirm this.

I'm about 110kg, 240 lbs, and tour with the bike loaded up with all the gear for a week or two.

Has any member had any experience with the spring rates ??

It seems that a 150 or 160nm spring may be the choice ???
I am about 215 lbs and a 140nm spring works very well for me when the bike (2008) is loaded up with gear....so I would think that a 150nm spring would be the best spring for you...at least if you are riding solo.