oil drain for water pump removal?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

faster675

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
do i actually have to drain oil before removing water pump? seems like (with bike on center stand) oil level will be below water pump - and thus, I should be able to remove the water pump without draining oil (which was just changed last week) ...

Not sure of the answer but what happened to your water pump?

Never heard of one going in the FJR before.

Canadian FJR

Last edited by a moderator:
I just took a quick look at my '05.... comparing oil-sight window height on left side vs the water pump shaft on the right. You should be OK with the bike on the center-stand and no need to drain the oil. If in doubt, just put bike on the side stand of course.

Mr. BR

Water pump is leaking (slowly) out of the hole on the back = mechanical seal has failed = needs rebuild. .... Thank you Mr BR for info on oil site window. .... Will be taking it apart this morning. ..

Same thing here, a few years ago. I did mine in conjunction with a bunch of other maintenance, so I don't remember if I needed to drain the oil.

Keep it on the sidestand and you don't have to drain the oil. I pulled and rebuilt the waterpump at a campground in Boone, NC. Not the best situation, but I had some smarter folks helping me out.