Oil Filter (alternatives to OEM)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luvtoride

My Indian name is "Pants On Fire"
Reaction score
I KNOW I've seen this information on this board b4. With the wonderful search that won't take less than 4 characters it's hard to search for "oil". Should I type in "oils filter alternative"? Nahhh, just kidding I know that won't work. I've been over on FJRTech & cannot find the info there, either. Can anyone direct me to the correct web page that contains this information?

Thanks in advance, Heidi

Thanks Rad!, there are others, aren't there? I just don't want to give the stealer $12.00 for a filter again. I'm intending to do fluid swap this weekend.

The link that you provided looks like it's for a GASP... ST1300.

Thats one of H Marc Lewis's pages, a long time contributor to the IBA group, Micapeak, etc etc, and an owner of an 03 FJR. All the info applies to the Feej.

MicaPeak

FJR SuperSport

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Rad!, there are others, aren't there? I just don't want to give the stealer $12.00 for a filter again. I'm intending to do fluid swap this weekend.

I'm happy with the Fram PH-7317. If its good enough for a chevy small block, its good enough for my bike, cheap and no frills.

I'm happy with the Fram PH-7317. If its good enough for a chevy small block, its good enough for my bike, cheap and no frills.
Somebody obviously missed this one:

All about filters

-BD

Thanks guys... Radman... that link you provided... looks like good information there! Thanks everyone.

[SIZE=36pt] I'm going to say this again. Search with quotation marks people! "oil filter". The search has a little help button for how to do various types of searchs.[/SIZE]

I need my glasses to read that last post. ^^^^^ B)

Aftermarket oil filter fitment is an issue with some bikes. Mine happens to be one of them. Most aftermarket filters I've tried have bottomed out on the nut on the filter's threaded shaft before the o-ring seal was snug. I went through about 3 different brands before I found one that fits. So far the only aftermarket filter that fits correctly on my 03 is the Wal-Mart filter. Fram, Puralator and WIX don't seal on my bike.

Has anybody else experianced that?

[SIZE=36pt] I'm going to say this again. Search with quotation marks people! "oil filter". The search has a little help button for how to do various types of searchs.[/SIZE]

Ok, Ok Mr. Pop,

Easy mister! I've never seen that tip. You better be nice to me... I know the person I can sic on you!!! Hahaha!!! just kidding! Will see you next month when IT'S TIME TO RIDE!

Your friend, Heidi

Aftermarket oil filter fitment is an issue with some bikes. Mine happens to be one of them. Most aftermarket filters I've tried have bottomed out on the nut on the filter's threaded shaft before the o-ring seal was snug. I went through about 3 different brands before I found one that fits. So far the only aftermarket filter that fits correctly on my 03 is the Wal-Mart filter. Fram, Puralator and WIX don't seal on my bike.Has anybody else experianced that?
I have yet to hear of any problem like this with the Mobil1 M110 or the Purolater PL14610 on the FJR. Ever. Fram and Wix,however, have had issues, the Fram's being that it's junk, and the Wix leaking at the o'ring seal.

I need my glasses to read that last post. ^^^^^ B)
Aftermarket oil filter fitment is an issue with some bikes. Mine happens to be one of them. Most aftermarket filters I've tried have bottomed out on the nut on the filter's threaded shaft before the o-ring seal was snug. I went through about 3 different brands before I found one that fits. So far the only aftermarket filter that fits correctly on my 03 is the Wal-Mart filter. Fram, Puralator and WIX don't seal on my bike.

Has anybody else experianced that?
Dang! I hope that isn't an issue on my bike. I picked up a Mobil 1 filter yesterday... which happened to be only about 2 bucks less than buying OEM. Besides being readily available at the auto store I was at, it's black. That was the final selling point. And besides... I was shopping at Auto Zone that has a deal going on right now... spend $20.00 5 times & get a free $20.00 gift card. 5 quarts of Mobil 1 gold cap & a filter got me 2 stamps on my "buying" card. 2 more stamps to go b4 November somethingorother. I may be able to oblige.

Mobil1 M110, Purolator PL14610 (my fav).
Too Much Info

Yes, but enlightening!

Finally, there are new chemicals emerging which are made from liquefied natural gas called GTL (gas to liquid) base oils. These will perhaps be called Group VI, and many people think they will become an important part of the oils you buy within a few years. Natural gas is primarily made up of only one type of molecule, so the refining is already done for you. Most oil wells throw off a lot of natural gas. In many cases, it's more expensive to transport this gas to a large city than the gas is worth, so it's just burned off. For example, Iran burns off enough natural gas each day to power their entire country, electricity, cars, ships, airplanes, the whole thing. So the next time you hear Iran's nuclear reactors are purely for peaceful production of energy, you can wonder like the rest of us why a country that burns off more than their entire energy needs must spend tens of billions of dollars developing alternative energy sources. Well, anyway, natural gas is a chemical looking for a use. All you have to do is chemically attach these molecules to each other to turn them into quite pure oil stocks.

LC