Oil filter/ highway peg clearance

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jack

Reaction score
Just got an '05 and it has highway pegs that are attached to brackets that mount to the engine cases. Do I have to loosen or remove the one by the oil filter to remove the filter?

Thanks,

Jack.

For most filters, no. The stock Yammi filter, definite no. Use a large adjustable pliers to loosen the old, hand tighten as much as possible the new.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just got an '05 and it has highway pegs that are attached to brackets that mount to the engine cases. Do I have to loosen or remove the one by the oil filter to remove the filter?Thanks,

Jack.
Jack I don't know if the 04 is different but I don't have to remove them to remove the filter.

gypsy

For most filters, no. The stock Yammi filter, definite no. Use a large adjustable pliers to loosen the old, hand tighten as much as possible the new.
Whut hee sed! Nevver haid no prollums whit mye '04 nor knot mye '05 neither. Eye bin yousin them OEM wuns, en Eye getchum frum University Motors.

Last edited by a moderator:
Whut hee sed! Nevver haid no prollums whit mye '04 nor knot mye '05 neither. Eye bin yousin them OEM wuns, en Eye getchum frum University Motors.
Don't know what brand of pegs are on myne, but I did have to remove the drivers side to change the oil filter ...

Don't know what brand of pegs are on myne, but I did have to remove the drivers side to change the oil filter ...
I have the Wild Bill travel pegs and have had no clearance problems. You'd have to do a Google search using: Wild Bill's travel pegs site:fjrforum.com

Or: travel pegs site:fjrforum.com

Maybe that would take you to a picture to see if that's what brand you have. IIRC, he's the only one making them, but I could be wrong.

I have this setup on my '07. There is a slim, flat oil filter wrench made for the Honda Goldwings that fits perfect on the FJR filter. It will slip in behind the bracket for the peg and take off the filter without disturbing the bracket. A lot slicker than squeezing the filter with a big pliers.