Oil Leak and throttle cable issues

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yamafitter

Reigning NERDS Granite Lane Gold Medalist
Reaction score
After doing the last valve clearance adjustment the bike developed a small oil leak. Originally I thought it ws the timing chain cover and we replaced that gasket but after a good ride there would be smoke off the bike and the stink of burning oil. I have now found the issue.....

valve%20cover%204-L.jpg

The valve cover gasket shifted during the install and some oil is finding its way to the outside. Nothing is getting pumped out since there is no pressure in this area but it is making a mess of things. I thought this might be the issue but didn't feel inclined due to the leg cast to get out in the garage and take things apart to find the main problem.

I had noticed that the throttle did not seem normal to me. I have a McCruise Throttle Control unit on the bike so it has a custom cable that runs from the CIU (Cable Interface Unit) to the throttle body. A visual inspection should signs of fraying on the cable so after much farting around I manged to fish the cable out and found this.....

cable%201-L.jpg

cable%202-L.jpg

Needless to say I was lucky to make it home from NERDS. The problem now is to find a shop that can make me a custom cable. McCruise are in Australia and I have an e-mail in to see if they have a US distributor with parts but there are none listed on the internet. The local motorcycle shops can't help because making up throttle and brake cables has become a lost art. We used to make our own cables all the time when I rode Bultacos which should tell you how old I am.

I tried the local bicycle shop and they could not help but I have a few other options to try so I'm not giving up just yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, even if the McCruise cable finished breaking (the final 1 or two strands that were left) you would still have full throttle control on the bike's actual throttle cables. right? Or an I misunderstanding you?

I mean, I know that you are a gimp and all with the automatic clutcher, but you can still operate the throttle control can't you?
rolleyes.gif

If that particular cable breaks it would be the same a breaking the main throttle cable on a bike without cruise and you are dead in the water since the bike would just sit there and idle. The return throttle cable only pulls on the throttle body linkage when you roll off the throttle and is a safety device to ensure the throttle plates get closed rather than just relying on the spring return.

When rolling the throttle on the main cable pulls the throttle linkage open and the return cable has no tension on it at that point.

With the McCruise system the cable from the throttle on the handlebars runs to the CIU along with the cable from the cruise servo. The pulley arrangement inside the CIU then sends the throttle input to the throttle bodies along the cable in question.

If you can't find one contact Motion-Pro and they will make you one if you send them the old one for a sample. I've had them make cables for vintage stuff in the past.

MC Cruise are real helpful, I'm sure they would send you one ASAP.

Great after sales service.

Performed a few valve checks now.

Before I reinstall the cam cover, I normally Silastic the gasket into place first.

It's a bugger trying to do it otherwise.

I have had motion pro make several cables for me. Great work, reasonable prices.

The local motorcycle shops can't help because making up throttle and brake cables has become a lost art. We used to make our own cables all the time when I rode Bultacos which should tell you how old I am.I tried the local bicycle shop and they could not help but I have a few other options to try so I'm not giving up just yet.
Look into some of the American V-Twin/aftermarket Harley shops in your area. When I was working in these shops every one had the Custom Chrome Inc. kit for making custom cables on the spot. I made cables 6-10 times a week, mostly for the owners of older Japanese and British bikes who were at our door as a last resort.

As mentioned both Motion Pro and Barnett will both make a replacement cable for you if you send ours in to them. They will either reuse your fittings(adjuster, fittings on the ends of the outer sheath) or replace them if they are a stock item. You may need to know the free length of the inner cable or they may use their best judgement from the broken one you supplied.

I too have dealt with McCruise in the 5 years after installing their cruise control. They will happily and promptly send you a replacement cable, so other than a few extra bucks for shipping I really don't see the need to mess around trying to get one made...

MC Cruise are real helpful, I'm sure they would send you one ASAP.Great after sales service.

Before I reinstall the cam cover, I normally Silastic the gasket into place first.

I know what you mean Ken, I too use a little RTV on the gasket to secure it to the rocker cover before reinstalling, makes things much easier. I also check right around the perimeter of the gasket with one of those little mirrors on a telescopic arm to make sure I can see the gasket sitting correctly everywhere, save a lot messing around later having to redo things...

MC Cruise are real helpful, I'm sure they would send you one ASAP.Great after sales service.

I know what you mean Ken, I too use a little RTV on the gasket to secure it to the rocker cover before reinstalling, makes things much easier. I also check right around the perimeter of the gasket with one of those little mirrors on a telescopic arm to make sure I can see the gasket sitting correctly everywhere, save a lot messing around later having to redo things...
I use the yamabond works great

I too have dealt with McCruise in the 5 years after installing their cruise control. They will happily and promptly send you a replacement cable, so other than a few extra bucks for shipping I really don't see the need to mess around trying to get one made...
Just got off the phone to McCruise in Australia and found out that Spoiled Biker in North Carolina is a dealer and should have the cable I need in stock. I will call in the morning and get the order placed for the new cable.

As far as the valve cover gasket goes I was reusing the old gasket that appeared to be well attached to the valve cover. When we replaced the valve cover I had the inspection mirror to make sure the "half moons" were positioned correctly since this is the normal problem area but never thought to check the area that was right in front of me.
fool.gif

Good news, Spoiled Biker in North Carolina had the cable in stock and will ship it out this afternoon.

Down time should be minimal. I now need to order up some tires and install them before EOM. The oil leak issue should be fixed this afternoon if I don't go over to the Senior Center and play cards with the old ladies. However I do need to pay for these parts so maybe I should go over and clean the old ladies out of their Bingo money.

I'd be real interested how the cable buggered up, another item to check when the tank is up.
All I can surmise is that the cable has a fairly sharp bend where it mounts onto the throttle body. The alignment was not perfect and the cable rubbed on the edge of the adjuster since this is the area that showed all the wear on the cable. I'll take some photos when I get the new cable and install it. Getting the cables back onto the spool on the throttle body assembly is not a task that I am looking forward to.

Getting the cables back onto the spool on the throttle body assembly is not a task that I am looking forward to.
Do you have the separate little write up for the interface unit ???

If not it's on my hard drive somewhere and I'm sure they would have it on their site also.

When I bought the 07 it had the MCC installed but the combination of the poor throttle response, throttle springs etc etc and the poor installation on the cruise control, it was a real bugger to ride home, some 1600 kms. Ended up stripping and re-installing most of it.

The 3rd party installer even had one of 2 vacuum valves on backwards, caused an ECU error ??? maybe a 14 ???

The guys at MC Cruise were great, sent me off all the info I needed.

I still have all three pdf files that Tony sent me on the install, setup and troubleshooting for the cruise control on my hard drive. Like you & others have said the McCruise customer service is one of the best. I did the install myself and with the instructions it went pretty well.