Oil Light Help!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It currently appears at this point it that the oil level sensor is defective. If you check the service manual on Page 5-78 it shows the oil level sensor located on the bottom of the oil pan (red arrow).....

oil%20level%20sensor-L.png

Changing it should just require you to pull the bottom halves of the fairings, drain the oil and replace the sensor and its o-ring.

Last edited by a moderator:
Edit: Omit reply

I was going to ask whether the check was made on the center-stand or sidestand but I already did awhile ago. Nevermind!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Have any of you replaced this sending unit before? Do you know if it is very difficult? Do you really have to tear very far into the bike to replace it, or is it easy to get at? Any thoughts?
I replaced the oil level sending unit on my '11, as it was misbehaving pretty much as yours -- not quite as badly, but irritating. Mine was replaced under warranty, but the dealer let me do the job.

iirc the job is not difficult, and does not require a lot of tupperware removal. The unit itself is hidden in a recess just aft of the oil drain plug. You can examine it using a mirror & flashlight, or lay on your back and use a flashlight. The most difficult thing is accessing the switch coupler wire, (# 1 in the illustration).

That wire is fairly deeply buried, and is the sole reason for removing the left lower fairing. I could just manage to pull it out far enough with a pair of long needlenose. Take care to not stress/stretch the wire.

I think the replacement 'kit' comes with a new o-ring.

The replacement unit is still sensitive to oil level, but not absurdly so.