Oily substance

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJR Pilot

Reaction score
Guys 'n gals,

I've asked this before, but didn't get no satisfaction!

(No offense to those that replied honestly before)

Anywho, I've got an "oily-type substance" under where the left fork is. The bike is on the

side-stand, and it appears to be "leaking" under the left side of the left fork, or, according

to my wife anyway, 'behind' the fork.

Could I have been leaking fork oil, or some kind of "fluid" from the front brake? Is the bike

safe to drive? (Haven't shown my baby much love recently...been really busy, but I digress).

I'll listen to any honest replies/comments, and thanks in advance for any help,

Jim

*UPDATE*

Well, I talked to my service guy on Saturday, and he said that it was probably

bad fork seals (most probable) or front brake issue (probably not) but suggested

I tow it in (in case it's the brakes).

$350.00 to fix forks (plus seal prices).

Jim

Last edited by a moderator:
My best guess: leaking fork seal.

Brake fluid would smell like...well...brake fluid. A fork seal will leak small amounts that "spread" as they run down from the rubber boot.

And this fluid was dripping from exactly where?

The tops of your fork seals are dry or wet?

The bottoms of the calipers are...?

The bottom of the fairing is...?

There's a limit to trusting internet advice. This sounds like one where two minutes of looking with a good bright light would be worthwhile. If just to better describe your problem.

From your description, it sounds like fork seal is leaking fluid. Have you checked brake reservoir for change in amount of brake fluid? Wipe the forks legs dry after a ride & then check them as that's probably the source.

Engine oil leak migrating forward due to xtreme stoppieZ. Cured by running engine 3 1/2 quarts low. Squid forums everywhere agree. :p

I do all my own plumbing and I have found that there is nothing better than tissue(toilet) paper to verify a good joint. After I have dried the new joint, I take a single sheet of tissue in my hand and grab the connection. If there is any moisture at all the tissue shows the evidence. This is the easiest way I have found to spot a tiny leak where I may not otherwise be able to see. You may feel this is silly, but wrap a layer of toilet tissue around the fork seals and let it sit over night. Next day, if there is a fork seal leak, you will see exactly where it is.

And this fluid was dripping from exactly where?The tops of your fork seals are dry or wet?

The bottoms of the calipers are...?

The bottom of the fairing is...?

There's a limit to trusting internet advice. This sounds like one where two minutes of looking with a good bright light would be worthwhile. If just to better describe your problem.
Ding! Ding! Ding! Winner!!!!

If you B leakin' brake fluid, you'd be havin' like no brakes real soon, or spongy brakes that go all the way to the bar at least. Make sure; 1) It's not brake fluid, that would be real bad. 2) Check mid fork near the seal to see if it's coming from there, most likely. 3) Check drain bolt area of forks. 4) Fix it, what ever it is.

If it's coming from the rear end pumpkin, and showing up on the front forks (as apposed to the rear forks), you are driving in reverse too much. :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
I do all my own rolling and I have found that there is nothing better than tissue(toilet) paper to verify a good joint. After I have dried the new joint, I smoke it, then take tissue in my hand and grab my connection.
Yer one sick dude Kirby :blink: All this prep just to rub one off! :huh:

:jester:

Watch out for the oil getting down on the brake pads too. I noticed considerable lack of front brake efficiency when my seals went south. Pads were quite wet with oil.

The seal change is an easy job really. just remember to read the book, not just look at the pics.

Don't ask how I know.

I do all my own rolling and I have found that there is nothing better than tissue(toilet) paper to verify a good joint. After I have dried the new joint, I smoke it, then take tissue in my hand and grab my connection.
Yer one sick dude Kirby :blink: All this prep just to rub one off! :huh:

Damn Busta! I was going to try something witty, but just KNEW you'd be all over this!

:yahoo: