Ok all you Californians.....

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Possible for the land, but I'd call bullshit on the details of that report.
Then again, had I not just seen the listing that TWN posted I would have called BS on a half-mil double wide, too.
No doubt the prices are whacked (and probably about to get a reality check correction toward equilibrium). But without the land, what are you buying? A manufactured home whose price for the carriage, framing, thinner HUD sheetrock and window glass isn't really dependent on where it's located, and can be replaced by a number of manufacturers? At best, maybe you also get a leasehold on the land it sits on?

:wackosmiley: :wackosmiley:

Well, I guess that answers my question (for some people with too much cash anyway):

Since the buyers don't own the land, most of the mobile homes are paid for in cash or with a personal property loan that usually amounts to $100,000 or less, says Clay Dickens, mortgage loan agent at Community West Bank.
Why would anyone pay seven figures for a trailer? It gets you more than the typical mobile home. The $1.4 million trailer is in a gated, guarded community with a shared tennis court and panoramic views of the Pacific Ocean. It also is on a larger-than-usual "triple-wide" lot.

Buyers are willing to pay such prices just to get into Malibu, where the average list price is $4.4 million, says Coldwell Banker broker Rick Wallace.

But, it's still a trailer with a modest kitchen and faux wood floors. Many still have trailer hitches attached.
Yikes!!!

I don't know if anyone actually read the article - here's the second paragraph:

"Two others sold in the area recently for $1.3 million and $1.1 million. Another, at $1.8 million, is in escrow. Nearby, another lists for $2.7 million."

Gee - I wonder what they'll think when that Tsunami hits .......... :blink:

I don't know if anyone actually read the article - here's the second paragraph:
"Two others sold in the area recently for $1.3 million and $1.1 million. Another, at $1.8 million, is in escrow. Nearby, another lists for $2.7 million."

Gee - I wonder what they'll think when that Tsunami hits .......... :blink:
You guys ever get Tornados?

I can only imagine writing insurance on a trailer home (with the hitch still attached) that the proud new owner wants to insure for $1.3 million. :lol:

Let's see, you pay $1.3 million in cash for the trailer, because you don't own the land. Your insurer refuses to write a policy for more than $100,000 replacement value on that trailer (assuming you have a really nice one, since it surely isn't new), you have a lease on the space that doesn't guarantee you a stay there until you decide to sell, AND you live in a trailer park!!! I bet it's real easy to get a loan secured by that $1.3 million in equity you claim to have in your home, too. :rolleyes:

NICE!!! :D

Last edited by a moderator:
where do all the illegal immigrants live in Calif ? Must be cheap stuff someplace.

Take copious amounts of notes on the above discussion. Tell all your friends, family and acquaintances, "DO NOT move to California!"

around my neck of the woods,looks like the Califernians are moving out.

... to the tune of 200,000/year. Only problem is that the illegals are coming in at a faster rate.

Er, that's political... let's amend that:

... to the tune of 200,000/year. Only problem is that the illegals are coming in at a faster rate, cuz they must be on FJR's.

:grin:

... to the tune of 200,000/year. Only problem is that the illegals are coming in at a faster rate, cuz they must be on FJR's.
You laugh, but on my ride to Big Bend this February, 2 friends riding BMWs and I got stopped by a Marshall and a Border Patrol guy out in far west Texas... first thing they told us was they needed to confirm our citizenship... :lol: Wonder how many sport touring "border jumpers" they get down there..? Turns out they were just doing a "visible presence" exercise, because they had heard a large sport touring rally was going to be in the area that weekend and wanted to keep the speeding down. They told us we were doing 75 in a 70 zone (another good laugh... I was leading and the V1 pegged them 2 miles away... we were doing the speed limit when they finally lit us up). Once they found out 2 of us were ex-military, it was all good, and we got off with a "warning"... :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
groo, I crossed Texas in April on I-10. They had a huge pavilion built along the interstate & pulled ALL traffic off the highway & thru the open pavilion looking for illagals,I guess.Never heard of it before. Felt weird,sorta like I was in a foriegn country. Didn't like it much. But if it helps,so be it.

Butt, er them reel Califernians, er R them the kinds thet call themsevs Califernians butt theys reely frum Texas er Oklyhomy er Alabamy er Tennessee er summers enyplace butt reely bein' frum (er bornded in) Califerny.

With all the crap that's wrong with California there is at least one thing we get to brag about - lane sharing!

(Of course bragging about driving through cars stopped in traffic on the freeway seems to be some kind of oxymoron :blink: )