OK, it's not a game forum

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wfooshee

O, Woe is me!!
Reaction score
I know this isn't a game forum, but . . . . .

I've been a fan of the Gran Turismo games on the Playstation and Playstation2 ever since they came out. The folks that make them did a bike game called Tourist Trophy, which although not as involved as the car games, is set on many of the same locations and has the same top-quality photo-realistic graphics, and decent physics for a game console.

Anyways, before I bought my FJR a couple of months ago I discovered the game had a 2005 FJR1300, and decided to do some test drives.

Here's a video I made of my (so far) best time on the Nurburgring on the FJR. I made the video by stacking different replays of the same lap in Premiere, and switching between them, sort of trying to simulate what you would see in live TV coverage. There's external views, on-bike views, and on-screen display of track map and speed & tach at times. This is a full lap, the video is a bit over 8 minutes. I'm working on "highlights" version I might substitute in later. Feel free to skip to the good parts, if you know where to find them in the timeline.

Keep in mind that this is by no means a "perfect" lap, and my participation in a popular world-wide forum dedicated to the Polyphony Digital games shows that I'm not the greatest player by any means, either. Nonetheless, this is a fun, totally abusive neck-wringing of an FJR around a difficult and well-modeled circuit, and it's something I could not dream of doing in real life. I'm not that good a rider, and the real track is not that tolerant of my weak abilities.

You'll see what looks like bad lines into turns, entering from the inside line instead of the outside. That's because the road is so severely crowned at times that turning in from the outside line is not even possible.

You'll also see at least 4 places where I should have been thrown dead from the bike, crossing steep curbs and whatnot. The physics seems to be a little bit forgiving in certain situations. Another fault of the physics is it doesn't really care if you brake as hard as possible at full lean. It takes it. It's not even possible to high-side in the game. And lastly, the controller simply inputs the amount of lean you want. The programming makes no account of pressing the inside bar down for countersteer to induce lean, it just tilts the bike model over, and in switchbacks it looks very unnatural.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldn't sell yourself short on how it looks. I think it looks pretty cool, & sounds even better.

It needs more cowbell FJR grunt.

Make believe is a lot of fun, but don't ignore the risks. I kept checking to make sure your visor was down. Say what you want about highsides being impossible, but one juicy bug to the face, and I guarantee you'd be NurBUGGING in the ditch. Be safe out there, even with make believe bugs.

Pretty cool. I tried that game. Turns out I can't corner any better in game format that I can in real life.

Good game and it doesn't hurt when you crash.

Are 50 year old fat guys suppose to play video games?

No, really it was for the grand kids.

Yea, right.

And the 150-mph full lean left immediately after that!
Must. Hit. Turn-in. Point. or. Die.
Hey wfooshee, that was about the wildest thing I've seen lately. I know it's not a game forum, but I appreciate the time and trouble it took you to come up with something like this. At least some of who don't ride like that can appreciate the fact it's a FJR doing the hauling. Nice work, I loved it.

Neat!

Why'd you take the sidecases off?

If it's an '05, why isn't it Blue?

If you hadn't of said it was a video game, I might not have noticed! Damn they've come a long way since Pong :dribble:

Now I'ma have to drop some coin and pick that one up

Last edited by a moderator:
Ooh, got bumped. Cool.

So, wfooshee. Which set of tires were you running? :D
Very funny, but actually, the game gives you a choice of two tire grades, "street" and "performance." I used Performance; the game doesn't measure tire wear in solo riding, only in races. :rolleyes:

Neat!
Why'd you take the sidecases off?

If it's an '05, why isn't it Blue?
Sidecases off for max top speed, of course. :yahoo: (Although they're actually not available in-game. The BMWs don't have them either!)

As for color, there are 3 FJRs in the game, listed here as the game states their color:

"Bluish Silver"

7bdbb6c5.jpg
6b68a9f3.jpg

"Dark Purplish Blue Metallic"

e76e997b.jpg
9b8d73f0.jpg

and "Metallic Silver"

bfa18ce4.jpg
308b28a2.jpg