OK you twisty hotdogs

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vacman

Reaction score
The last time I hotrodded through twisties I was on my 76 xs360 and was 18 years old, actually it was a hot curvy road in Texas and remember feeling the bike slid a little or drift, now we don't have a ton of twistys in Ohio but when I was out yesterday I was as I believe getting a little cocky in my corners [probably about 1/2 speed of most of you] but my question is this, how do you know when the limit is close, I mean how far can you lean this on good surface and be safe. When the tires were cold the first street corner I felt a little slip, I mean was I almost going down or is there some give, sorry to sound so naive but I have traveled probably 20,000 miles on street bikes but never carving up the corners.

Last edited by a moderator:
When you hear and feel the metal peg feelers dragging.....you're at the limit....which I'ver never personally been with stock pegs.....but seen. Sparks from the same feelers are OK too. :rolleyes:

Gray body tupperware touching the pavement? Not so good and it doesn't spark. :blink:

As long as you are being smooth on good surface, Its when your elbow hits...........Kidding

Work up slowly......... Find your own comfort level and stay there. it will grow by itself

The last time I hotrodded through twisties I was on my 76 xs360 and was 18 years old, actually it was a hot curvy road in Texas and remember feeling the bike slid a little or drift, now we don't have a ton of twistys in Ohio but when I was out yesterday I was as I believe getting a little cocky in my corners [probably about 1/2 speed of most of you] but my question is this, how do you know when the limit is close, I mean how far can you lean this on good surface and be safe. When the tires were cold the first street corner I felt a little slip, I mean was I almost going down or is there some give, sorry to sound so naive but I have traveled probably 20,000 miles on street bikes but never carving up the corners.

You have lots of Great Ohio roads to your south east, get out & ride!

Lots of places to spark those feelers. :yahoo:

And....... no nevermind I know you don't want to tell the guy to try something and he plants himself into the face of a Mack truck"which made me even think of this while going through the set of turns a friend did exactly that 30 years ago on a borrowed Harley" I guess I just wondered does this bike hold like rail till shit starts dragging or do you feel it start sliding a little, and that said I probably think I'm a roadracer and my pegs are still 3 inches away from dragging :exhappysmiley:

You have lots of Great Ohio roads to your south east, get out & ride!

Lots of places to spark those feelers. :yahoo:
I know buy hey the weather just broke and I just got it, my Inlaws live south of Athens and I just set up my trailer to drag the bike down on the next visit, great roads down there[and yes a trailer my wife kid and dog will not fit on the bike]

As a fairly new rider myself on this type of bike, (one year), I was turned on to two good books by one of the member's here that I am in the process or reading. They are invaluable as to riding a bike in the twisties and on the street and track in general. They are "Sport Riding Techniques" by Nick Ienatsch and the other is "Total Control" by Lee Parks. I can't see learning how to ride without them unless you are personally taught by them or someone comparable. Explained in one of the books is that the number one biggest mistake on the sport type bike by a beginer or otherwise is one goes too hot into a corner and wrecks. Ride your own pace and don't get caught up in trying to keep up with another rider. Realize and understand "your" fear factor. I bought them through Amazon.com and by purchasing the two together you get a discount. Hope this helped, take your time and ride safe. PM. <>< :good:

I know buy hey the weather just broke and I just got it, my Inlaws live south of Athens and I just set up my trailer to drag the bike down on the next visit, great roads down there[and yes a trailer my wife kid and dog will not fit on the bike]

Can your wife, kid, or dog drive? :dntknw:

The FJR will lean farther than you think it will. But don't. Proper body position and turning technique negates the need for extreme leans - especially when doing it just to prove something.

Take an advanced rider's course - like the Lee Parks TC-ARC, for instance - and step up your riding quality.

For what its worth, which isn't much, the peg feelers will touch down, then as they come up about 1-2 inches, the front edge of the mufflers will start dragging then the center stand. I wouldn't go much beyond that or you run the risk of levering the rear wheel off the ground. I actually wore the outer half of my rear brake pedal down, but I had also rotated it down one tooth so I could modulate it while my foot was on the peg. Actually all this proves is I wasn't using completely proper riding technique, although I tended to hang off a bit, I still dragged hard parts on tight twisties.

Glenn

Can your wife, kid, or dog drive? :dntknw:
Ya I'll get right on that or better yet you tell my wife that shes driving the 4 hours and I'm takin the bike, let me know how she feels about it :D

For what its worth, which isn't much, the peg feelers will touch down, then as they come up about 1-2 inches, the front edge of the mufflers will start dragging then the center stand. I wouldn't go much beyond that or you run the risk of levering the rear wheel off the ground. I actually wore the outer half of my rear brake pedal down, but I had also rotated it down one tooth so I could modulate it while my foot was on the peg. Actually all this proves is I wasn't using completely proper riding technique, although I tended to hang off a bit, I still dragged hard parts on tight twisties.
Glenn

Glenn,

If this is on public roads?

You need to SLOW DOWN!

Glenn
I prolly be in good shape then, don't think I'll be pushing it that far :dribble:

The FJR will lean farther than you think it will. But don't. Proper body position and turning technique negates the need for extreme leans - especially when doing it just to prove something.
+1

In many cases the term "chicken strips" would be appropriately renamed to "stupid strips". Bad posture and poor riding technique will teach you just how far the FJR will lean much too early. Practice keeping the bike upright and maintaining as much tire contact patch as possible.

Let it come to you, don't force yourself.

Glenn
I prolly be in good shape then, don't think I'll be pushing it that far :dribble:
Vacman: If you feel like your tires are sliding when cold: 1. Maybe they are - take it easy for the first 20 miles or so and be sure you've warmed them up thoroughly, and/or 2. Is it perhaps also in the presence of (the typical in Canada) road sand/grit left over in Spring from Winter road sanding and salting? - if so watch your lines carefully to avoid this stuff (think ball bearings on ice, and you're not far off the coefficient of traction), and wait for wind/rain/highways crews to clean this stuff off, and/or 3. Don't do that!!! Rear wheel slides are sometimes easy to gather up for a skilled rider, but if they're overcorrected can result in horrific high-sides which cause damage to rider and machine disproportionate to your speed (please don't ask me how I know this - unfortunately it isn't just from reading excellent references like the books mentioned above, plus "Twist of the Wrist" by Keith Code) And front wheel slides are almost never corrected by amateur riders. Even the best roadracers in the world, on the stickiest tires, regularly throw away their bikes when they lose the front end.

One last tip: check your tire pressures religiously (i.e., at least every Sunday). Lots of us here have bikes which can lose 5 psi in a week, and you can't believe the difference that makes in cornering traction and safety in general, not to mention tire wear. Enjoy your Spring!

Wow lose pressure that fast, will check tonight, and yes I did notice a little debris on road surfaces which in a few weeks will be gone, with age I am much more carefull, I mean I barley touch the century mark upon merging onto the highway!

The FJR will lean a lot farther than I ask it to, while I get through turns on public roads at plenty of speed to have mega fun.

IMHO, if you're scrapin', you're either doing it wrong or going too fast, and an unscheduled soil sample lurks in your future.

When you hear and feel the metal peg feelers dragging.....you're at the limit....
Which can be increased with modifications to the suspension and/or more aggressive technique.

+2

Rear wheel slides are sometimes easy to gather up for a skilled rider, but if they're overcorrected can result in horrific high-sides which cause damage to rider and machine disproportionate to your speed (please don't ask me how I know this
+1 :dribble:

IMHO, if you're scrapin', you're either doing it wrong or going too fast, and an unscheduled soil sample lurks in your future.
Probably true, but does that mean TC speed is the right speed and any faster irresponsible?

On second thought, you are right. When I am riding right and dragging pegs on my FJR, I'm going too damn fast on public roads. :eek:

Some great responses and my 2 cents; If you are anywhere near what you feel is the limit, minimal brake/throttle input will get you through. A big dose of either will land you on your ass. ;)

Some great responses and my 2 cents; If you are anywhere near what you feel is the limit, minimal brake/throttle input will get you through. A big dose of either will land you on your ass.
Its great to see you haven't lost your "touch" or sense of humor while recuperating from the dirt bike incident. Great weather coming up...I'm going to miss you, Brad!