Okay, I had a slap to the forehead moment...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bungie

FrostBack #2 - IBA # 44620
Reaction score
So I go for a ride today, just a couple of hundred Km's. Nothing major. Temps when I left at 10 this morning were about 79F. I ride and ride and ride and ride. Stop for a break around 2ish cuz I was feeling warm. I have a gen 1 so no thermometer, but if I was to hazard a guess, with the humidex probably closing in on the mid 80's.

I take a couple of swigs of water and contemplate riding alone on a fine day. Life is good. But jeebuz its warm!

I remember I bought a Techniche cooling vest and its in my top box. What the hell, might as well give it a try.

I pour in about 2 quarts. Uh.... the vest sucked it all in.. I pour in another 2 quarts. I look in the bag.. what the hell! I pour water in it until I can see the level rise in the bag. Wait a few minutes and pour out maybe a couple of cups of excess. Then I roll the vest, still in the bag, and maybe get out another cup of water.

Put the vest on, hey, this thing absorbed a lot of water.. its heavy!

Back on the bike and ... and... OH MY! YES! It felt like I was wearing an air conditioner stuck on high! HEAVEN! I actually thought I might get too cool for a bit.

Got into town, stop and go traffic. Buddy pulls up beside me on an FZ1. Shorts, tank top, work boots, visor up. Me, visor down, jeans, Tourmaster Intake (no liners, full mesh mode) zipped up. "Aren't you hot dude?!"

"No.... HAHAHAAH!"

He looked at me like i was NUTS!

I know, I know, they've been mentioned here lots, but dammit, sometimes you have to beat us poor dumbasses in the head to get the message through okay. This Techniche Vest is the best damn $35 I ever spent on gear!

Do it. Its not a mistake!

They is the shit ain't they Bungie.

Matter of fact I just loaned mine for the day to a buddy who's off playing on his hardley... He stopped by and was cryin' about being too hot in his fancy leathers.

Wonder when I'll see it again :huh:

:jester:

+100

"wore out" my two fiber retention silver vests over the years

bought One Of These for the report of crystal technology holds water for days, not hours

Code Item Qty Price Total

HS1045 MiraCool Poncho Cooling Vest

[Color:Beige] 1 $19.34 $19.34

rode with it Wed 200 miles - thermometer was triple digits all afternoon on the road

My meds and high heat DO NOT mix well

vest allowed me to have a good ride; alittle warm at times, but no heat stroke like before

I'm pumped as last summer, I stayed inside in the A/C June through August

not this year; I'm confident I can ride if wearing the vest under my mesh jacket

let's ride safe and be careful out there,

Mike in Nawlins'

OK I'll agree bungie, you are a dumbass. :p

I've used mine for years love it! Nothing like it, and some people look at me funny when I tell them how I use it. I get home and I'm almost too cold. My body core feels real cool, I have to bundle up to get warm again.

BTW - You are supposed to ring out the excess water. Just sayin' ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, they're great. I know a lot of gals who use them. :D

Real men would rather roast like a sausage burrito.

;)
Michael's ideal of "Real Men"...

village_people.jpg

:jester:

Put me on the dumbass list also. I completely forgot I had bought one of those suckers. Thank God its been raining around here every day for the last 3 1/2 months or I might have even had to look for it. :glare:

He stopped by and was cryin' about being too hot in his fancy leathers.Wonder when I'll see it again :huh:
Probably right around the time your done with his leathers would be my guess.

Thank God its been raining around here every day for the last 3 1/2 months or I might have even had to look for it. :glare:
Sudbury and Sag Harbour must share weather systems.

I'm wondering how bulky the Miramax poncho style vest is. Will it fit under a decently fitting m/c jacket OK? Also, how tightly can it be rolled to stuff in the side case?

That looks like a hell of good buy for under $20! Planning a ride down to Redding, Ca through the gut of Oregon in early - mid September, and it can be one hot bugger.

Might be an excellent addition to the gear.

Thanks for any additional input.

Don

I'm wondering how bulky the Miramax MiraCool poncho style vest is. Will it fit under a decently fitting m/c jacket OK? Also, how tightly can it be rolled to stuff in the side case?
That looks like a hell of good buy for under $20! Planning a ride down to Redding, Ca through the gut of Oregon in early - mid September, and it can be one hot bugger.

Might be an excellent addition to the gear.

Thanks for any additional input.

Don
I assume you mean MiraCool vest like I recently bought and tried out this week.

I wear a cotton long sleeve shirt, then the vest, then my First Gear Mesh Tex Jacket...no problems

The vest bulks up quite a bit after soaking for 30 minutes, but nothing outragious (crystal technology bulks up much more than the fiber technology vests which I've had 2 over the years, but they don't hold water anymore)

I do think, if needed, you can squeeze down the vest to shed some water, and while fully soaked, fit it into a Gallon Zip Lock Bag, if desired.

I wear it all the time, even at stops with jacket off, unless I'm sitting down for a meal at a real restaurant (I'll wear it still for fast food). I took it off on Wednesday only to go into a sporting goods store that had the A/C roaring and I was cold when I walked in. But I'm hot all the time in the summer down here in south Louisiana.

If on an extended trip I use two vests. The night before the ride next day, put both vests in seperate ziplock bags half full of water and place in the fridge. In the morning, empty the water from the bags and leave the one on the bike you're not using. I alternate the vests and when you're on the road, place a few ice cubes in the one bag so it will be nice and cool when you swap the other one out. Wring out before each use, depending on how hot it is. Cool uh? PM. <>< :D

Thanks for the answer (and the correction on the name!).

I think I'm going to have to give that a try...

Don

Lotsa time to type these days, RH?

I haven't tried one of these pansy-vests because I'd seen on here that they don't work well in southeastern humid climes, and that's what I live and ride in. Now Mike (Patriot) chimes in how he likes his so much and stuff, and Lousy-anna qualifies as humid climes, too, so now I'm thinking I've gotta shell out the cash and get one. OTOH, I've met Mike and know what his word is worth . . . . .

Lotsa time to type these days, RH?
I haven't tried one of these pansy-vests because I'd seen on here that they don't work well in southeastern humid climes, and that's what I live and ride in. Now Mike (Patriot) chimes in how he likes his so much and stuff, and Lousy-anna qualifies as humid climes, too, so now I'm thinking I've gotta shell out the cash and get one. OTOH, I've met Mike and know what his word is worth . . . . .
I resemble that remark

Well, Walter is joining me in the ungentlemen club...

I was told what happens at the Fooshee estate stays at the Fooshee estate, but damn... :blink: