Okay, I had a slap to the forehead moment...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"wore out" my two fiber retention silver vests over the years...
bought One Of These for the report of crystal technology holds water for days, not hours...

rode with it Wed 200 miles - thermometer was triple digits all afternoon on the road
Mike,

I tried out a fiber retention silver vest on my trip to Pheonix last summer. It kept me cool in 110 heat but dried out within an hour. I didn't mind stopping to add more water, but the thing gave me wet shorts. I hate that.

How well did the TuffRhino perform in comparison to the fiber retention silver vests you had in the past?

Brodie

Lotsa time to type these days, RH?
Yep...or nope, depending on the POV. Here it is 8pm on a Saturday night, just gettin' set to head to Casa Del Howie after a 13 hour "shift" in 120 degree "feels like" heat....in other words -- working. Wish I'd had one of them lacey gurly vests today to keep me cool. Got so hot around 3pm I was on my knees puking my guts out from salt loss. Damn near heat-stroked. :angry:

Lotsa time to type these days, RH?
Yep...or nope, depending on the POV. Here it is 8pm on a Saturday night, just gettin' set to head to Casa Del Howie after a 13 hour "shift" in 120 degree "feels like" heat....in other words -- working. Wish I'd had one of them lacey gurly vests today to keep me cool. Got so hot around 3pm I was on my knees puking my guts out from salt loss. Damn near heat-stroked. :angry:

Working!!????

Yer killin' me ya simp! Try rubbin off for eight hours! Thats work! Ask me I know..

:jester:

^^^^ You could always get someone to Dutch rudder you. (Had to Google that when it came up in the thread about Patriot's dogs. Actually it started out about ice, but it got hijacked.) :p Anyway, ask whoever helps you shave. . . .

Last edited by a moderator:
"wore out" my two fiber retention silver vests over the years...
bought One Of These for the report of crystal technology holds water for days, not hours...

rode with it Wed 200 miles - thermometer was triple digits all afternoon on the road
Mike,

I tried out a fiber retention silver vest on my trip to Pheonix last summer. It kept me cool in 110 heat but dried out within an hour. I didn't mind stopping to add more water, but the thing gave me wet shorts. I hate that.

How well did the TuffRhino perform in comparison to the fiber retention silver vests you had in the past?

Brodie
better IMHO

even soaking in a bucket for 30 minutes, it sheds water itself and I put it on...my LDComfort shorts stay dry and my mesh pants aren't affectec...my cotton long sleeve t shirt gets only slightly damp, but not wet so when I take it off, no problems

I'm very happy with it, but I was also with the fiber vests, but this one lasts much longer

I agree the pulling over the head and clipping the two straps is less convenient then the vest with zipper in front style of putting on, but the "tubes" of moisture water retention run across the front all the way, and I think it might cool better that way. So the pulling over the head on and off is OK, and I tend to just wear it all the time, pretty much, when on the road.

Mine's beige, so doesn't attact attention so much <course I can't read minds and assume they make fun of me anyway!>

now the water does "warm" up in the vest the longer you wear it, but the evaporation still works and you can cool it off in a rest room at a stop by running cold water on it or

<or sneak a dip in the iced down beer barrel at the truck stop>

in fact, a rant: I hate those new motion sensor faucets in the men's room that have no temp control...most of them run half hot and half cold equals warm water...holy moly, in July, run iced water out of those faucets, please.

Geeze, I was told new direction control replacements added to my Hobie Cat made out of teak are Dutch Rudders?

Last edited by a moderator:
better IMHOeven soaking in a bucket for 30 minutes, it sheds water itself and I put it on...my LDComfort shorts stay dry and my mesh pants aren't affectec...my cotton long sleeve t shirt gets only slightly damp, but not wet so when I take it off, no problems

I'm very happy with it, but I was also with the fiber vests, but this one lasts much longer
Thanks Mike,

I just ordered a MiraCool full vest tonight. It should be here in about a week.

Next hot trip I'll try it out under the Darien.

Brodie