Open Passes

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well it surely looks like everyone had really really good time and lots of fun and meeting new people.

I guess I will have to wait another year to go on one of them there three pass rides.

\

And the pics are great what scenery to look at.

I had to go to Oregon for a wedding, even in a cage it was pretty scenic cranking those miles out to get to Cottage Grove. A nice little town set in the hills with lots of forested back ground.

A high tempt. of 90' And a whole lot of motorcycles traveling on I-5 in Oregon heading north

And, while waiting for JoyfulGirl's wonderful photos, here are a few that I put on the web for your entertainment!

Cheers!
This is great picture. Anyone who possesses the skills to prevent BOTH MM2 and Bluesteek from speaking and snaps the picture to prove it, gets a big thumbs up from me. :D

Forum members, please feel free to insert a guess as to what it being discussed here, I'm at a loss of words for the time being. :lol:

06242006(003).jpg

J/K - Looks like I missed another great time with the good folks from this forum. :(
I think she was saying " Now boys... about these cute little yellow shirts your wearing.... do you always call each other the night before to color coordinate your matching wardrobe ? " :p
Actuallyl I know the topic was one of three options:

1) About the stinking Highlanders missing another ride......

2) Gee, I sure miss Eve being on the ride (Oh yeah, Toecutter, too)...

3) Sherri explaining the arts and crafts style glass techniques she's learning...

OR , all of the above! :p

I guess I will have to wait another year to go on one of them there three pass rides.
Er yew kud try'en mek wunna them Bigg Dawg rydeouts et WFO. Theys gunna be a'ridin' summa thuh saym rodes, en moor!

If you're not working on Saturday, maybe you could ride to Reno and join in the fun. Just watch out for fjrchik, I hear she's one mean enforcer to those who try to join late.

Last edited by a moderator:
I knew that it was a matter of time before Bluestreek got back at me for a photo I took in Volcano! LOL

I'll try to get pics soon.

Andrew

I just heard that there was a serious motorcycle accident on Ebbetts Saturday. Could not have been the rider who low sided on the gravel covered corner 3 or 4 miles west of the junction with Monitor. GF is an Alpine County Health Dept. RN, and when she got home from work today, she reported that one of her coworkers (whose family owns and operates the Woodfords Towing Service) said they had a tough time extricating the bike and rider, and that the rider was in pretty bad condition -- didn't know if he (or she?) was going to make it. That's all the details I know -- she'll ask tomorrow. I didn't see anything on the way back over -- maybe it happened after 4 or 5 pm??? Hate to hear that kind of thing, but it's the reason we keep warning everybody about paying attention and being safe on the Big Dog rides in the area -- IF you F#@$ up, where you stop can be unforgiving terrain and the consequences can be serious.

The great thing about having a lot of storage space on memory sticks for the camera is that we get a lot of pictures. The hard part is uploading them all to our storage site on the web. I need to find someone to write me a script so that we can upload all the hundreds of shots we take at one time.

That said, I've uploaded the first 30 shots. and I can begin this thing.

Mike, thank you, thank you, thank you. I got so many wide grins that day I lost count of them. Getting rained on felt so good after the hot day and I don't think I grinned any bigger than when the occaisional hail stone hit the inside of my elbow and I yelled, "Ow!"

I couldn't help but smile as I saw the buel and harley riders going by in their tank tops as marble sized hail pelted them. That's gotta hurt!

I had a lot of fun meeting new to me faces and seeing friends from past rides as well. I haven't seen Gary since our adventures into and home from Yosemite last year! Mike, you put on a great ride with a great bumch of people. I was honored to be a part of such a nice group.

2x the speed limit? I guess I wouldn't know. I didn't think 49 had a speed limit :)

Hair. You know I thought I had my fill of high and tight while I was in the USAF. Riding my bike as my primary vehicle might just change my mind :rolleyes:

Milling around the Southernmost gas station in Plymouth and talking to everyone was one of my favorite parts of the day. The riding is great and so are the people that come out to these rides. I just love the way we seem to get along instantly and have a good time. It was nice to see a nice combination of solo, and 2up bikes on this ride. We got to swap stories, share farkle opinions laugh and tell stories about how fast we can go.

DSC04820.jpg

Then we got serious for a spell. Safety is important on these rides and Mike's warnings were well received. Another safe ride under the belts! Thanks for caring enough to remind us about those important safety tips Mike!

DSC04822.jpg

I guess how much you enjoy the first gathering of the day depends on how you look at it.

DSC04821.jpg

Getting on down the road...it's time to go ride! I don't know if I'm the only one, but when a group ride first sets off, I'm always excited and happy about being part of a group. I remember that as a kid I used to longingly watch groups of bikes go by and I wished I was on one of them. Now I am. :yahoo:

Mike led us out:

DSC04823.jpg

Sherri and I started in second, and Sherri got a bunch of fun photos of these guys:

DSC04825.jpg

A lot more to come (in subsequent posts) oops...posted as Sherri again...lol

The foothills of the Sierra are now brown due to the summer sun. The grasses grew tall this year due to a very wet winter. I was astounded at one time during the Winter to hear that Mammoth Ski Resort had over 55 feet of snow. The think growth as a result will dry and doubtless we'll have many grass fires kick off in the area this summer.

DSC04829.jpg

oh sheesh...I have to go for now...it's 1am and I have to be awake by 5:45 for my flight...more later!

A pillion's view of Mad Mike in the lead:

DSC04846.jpg

Per Mike's warning, there are a lot of bicyclists in the hills. Watch out for cars going around them!

DSC04853.jpg

Mike takes an S with a ample amount of fun!

DSC04856.jpg

One good S brings us to another...woohoo!

DSC04858.jpg

Here's a sequence of 6 shots around a curve from over Sherri's shoulder:

DSC04859.jpg

DSC04860.jpg

DSC04861.jpg

DSC04863.jpg

DSC04864.jpg

DSC04865.jpg

And then an exciting shot over the shoulder of a sharp turn that these two FJRs handled quite well

DSC04874.jpg

Mike pointed over to these Bears. I can't remember if they welcomed us Volcano, or to Pioneer. Either way, it was somewhere before Kit Carson Pass.

DSC04888.jpg

Aha! Something tells me that they welcomed us to Voclano

DSC04891.jpg

I must have got on the throttle a little too much...not my usual 2 second gap here :)

DSC04893.jpg

Sherri knows I like barns

DSC04897.jpg

Out of Volcano we forked left to go to Pioneer

DSC04898.jpg

Along the way, the trees started to change from these:

DSC04900.jpg

to these

DSC04902.jpg

We were getting higher into the Sierra

Fast sweepers

DSC04910.jpg

and nice views

DSC04912.jpg

yep

DSC04913.jpg

and just a few traffic situations

DSC04923.jpg

Nice clear sky...that thankfully didn't last the whole day

DSC04927.jpg

Plenty of snow in the hills, that we'll see a bit closer up later in the day

DSC04930.jpg

You want some photos of you riding? Get in front, or behind us sometime ;)

DSC04932.jpg

Ever find youself wishing you had your fishing pole? I do!

DSC04934.jpg

Ahh..the familiar Sierra granite

DSC04939.jpg

Trees that tell of hard winters

DSC04941.jpg

Green valleys showing the result of late run-off from winter's deep snow

DSC04948.jpg

The lakes are all full and the streams and rivers are cold and fast

DSC04949.jpg

Sherri likes trees

DSC04953.jpg

DSC04955.jpg

A break on Kit Carson Pass

DSC04956.jpg

Sherri took a short walk and found some nice things, and views

DSC04959.jpg

DSC04964.jpg

DSC04966.jpg

DSC04968.jpg

On the road again with a few more bikes ahead of us

DSC04974.jpg

and a couple behind

DSC04976.jpg

Not even half way through the day yet...this is still early

It didn't take long to get to Markleeville. Can you get cell signal here to call the kid Sherri?

DSC04981.jpg

In Markleeville, there seemed to be places for some types of bikes

DSC04978.jpg

and then places for other types

DSC04980.jpg

Hi Sam and Aaron! It was nice to meet you and we look forward to more rides.

DSC04987.jpg

One pass down, enjoying a small mountain town that must appreciate the business if not the straight pipes. I also enjoyed walking around enjoying the conversations and the expressive people in the group.

DSC04988.jpg

DSC04990.jpg

and as we were leaving lunch, I looked down and saw this:

DSC04992.jpg

Hi George! We missed you! Thanks for the mail by the way, nice stuff! It must be nearly time for us to visit Morro bay and do some fishing!

I taped it on Mike's bike

DSC04993.jpg

Then I handed it to Mike

DSC04994.jpg

And caught this guy taking a pic...and he posted his pic of me taking a pic earlier in this thread

DSC04995.jpg

getting ready to roll...comon Sherri!

DSC04997.jpg

Assembling to leave town

DSC04998.jpg

Okay...then we went to check off Monitor Pass. Fun pass to ride. Past Marlkleeville you follow the Carson River for a bit and then take a left to go over the pass. We went over it and came back. What a great road!

We took a break at the fantastic lookout on the way back up, then Uberkewlness took over and lead us back over, then over Ebbit's pass to Alpine Lake. What an awesome ride! I hae to say that the grin factor this day had my face muscles sore for days after the ride.

Here are some pics.

BlueStreek and a Goldwing on the other side

DSC05020.jpg

I just love these pics

DSC05021.jpg

Riding into the sky!

DSC05023.jpg

DSC05026.jpg

Look at the view over the shoulder! NO Look through the turn!!! ;)

DSC05031.jpg

Break time

DSC05033.jpg

View from the break

DSC05034.jpg

Then a few before Ebbit's pass and before the rain...after the rain, the camera didn't come back out...sorry!

DSC05038.jpg

DSC05039.jpg

DSC05043.jpg

Notice the falls

DSC05046.jpg

DSC05053.jpg

DSC05057.jpg

DSC05058.jpg

The snow

DSC05061.jpg

Very cool...whatta team of photo-journalists!

I think that "peak" that Sherri got a picture of (from Hwy 88) is Pyramid Peak, Elev. 9,983'. Just for some scale, that mountain is about 8-10 miles North of Hwy 88 @ Kirkwood.

If anyone wants to know, the people in the picture at the break @ Monitor Pass, L-R:

Uberkul [brad], BBIII [bill], fjrvtx1300s [Mike] (the only '03 in the group), rocknfjr [Gary], the Nightshines [Aaron & Sam], exskibum [Rich], Painman [Del], the Bluestreeks [Cyndi & Steve], Orangevalefjr [Andrew], and madmike2 (Is that rub your head and pat your belly...or pat your head and rub your belly?)

Great pictures and great memories. What a terrific day to be riding....No pictures of the rain and hail?!?!? :huh:

Very, very nice! But, it's a sad day when one doesn't see at least one 'bird'. Sniff. Wish I coulda rode witchy'all.

'Fraid so, Orangie. I'm humpin' at work tryin' to stave off any potential threat to my appearance in Reno. Ditto the Nuttress. Got your VM. I'll try and catch you up tomorrow. Woof. Swimin' in shit, bro. Word!

Yeah, baby, that's what I'm talkin' about!

Nice flat, wide roads in the rain. It looks like the pictures are on the East side of the mountain.....only 10 miles to go to the market for a break and some shelter... :dribble: ....and get me summa that hot chocolate :rolleyes: .