opening new business

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Two words: Red Cross. They offer disaster preparedness training (alongside First Aid, CPR, Defibrillator certification, etc.) to companies. It's inexpensive, and they have a lot of credibility, meaning companies don't need to spend the time and money vetting them.
Doesn't mean it couldn't work out for you as a private business, but you'll have a very formidable competitor and need to be prepared to explain why your services are superior (assuming you're not trying to beat them on price).
Good point, but, the same words don't always mean the same thing. His business is focused on how the business processes will continue to operate in the event of an unplanned interruption (doesn't have to be a flood, fire, tornado, etc where Red Cross typically gets involved).
Don't know what the Red Cross offers in other parts of the country, but the training I went through here in the Seattle area (one of the most prone to natural disasters in the nation) was pretty thorough and did include off-site back-ups, partnering with other local companies to use each other's office space in case of an emergency, building relationships with emergency responders, developing an extensive emergency response plan, etc. Now, I work for a Fortune 500 company and what we learned from the Red Cross was certainly supplemented with processes from our corporate security and IT departments, so I'm not sure my experience can be directly applied to your target audience. But I think the website has to be a lot more specific and to the point about the services you provide that go beyond what the Red Cross has to offer.

Are you an IT consulting firm, a process continuation expert, a disaster preparedness consultant? I'm not sure I get the core value proposition right away from the site as it is right now, and remember that people don't read a lot of text. When I get to your site it has to jump right out at me why I can't afford not to use your services. I'll browse around next to make sure you have the proper qualifications and experience.

Where's the link for a job application? :)

I've done consulting in the accounting and finance fields and most businesses are not prepared, at least on the accounting side, of what to do in case of an emergency. Where are the backup files? Do you have access to the accounting software offsite? Have you bookmarked the online banking links at an offsite computer? Does the bank allow verbal agreements in case of an emergency? Do you have 2 payrolls stored in savings?

Let me know how it goes. You may succeed better than expected.

Last edited by a moderator:
From experience, small businesses operate on a tight budget and generally aren't going to willingly give you an audience if you are selling something they don't think they NEED.
Good point. There may be a problem with your services and the market you're targeting. Starting a business in itself is a risky affair. Small businesses are accustomed to being exposed to many risks. Preparing for disasters (natural or other) may not be something they are ready to pay a lot of money for, it's one of the less likely risks that they face and they may feel that insurance covers this particular one. Again, your marketing materials need to address this head on.

Great feedback, folks! I appreciate the encouragement, the pushbacks, and the suggestions. This will all be helpful in fine-tuning my approach.

This is a venture that I've not entered lightly. I have nearly a decade of experience in the field, albeit with government agencies. I also have practical experience teaching, designing, testing, and implementing plans, especially with first responders. I do not have "the certification," but that will be addressed in the near term. I do have other credentials that I will mention to clients verbally, but not on the website due to prior agreements I've made. I do have a business plan, a marketing plan, a target audience of 25,000 businesses in close proximity and sufficient capital to last the first several months, potentially longer. Some prospects in 2, potentially 3 markets are already lined up to get me started. A couple potential business partners have already emerged from this as well. So, I think I have a good foundation to build on. Starting my own business is also something I've wanted to do for quite some time.

Fencer's response is a common refrain to my initial conversations. In fact, I got that from a local bike dealer. When I compare the two responses, it makes me realize that perhaps some small businesses may perceive they do not need (operative word) a plan. They will actually thrive after a disaster because of the influx of business. The dealer, on the other hand, is just playing ostrich.

Again, thanks for all the great input. I'll buy you all a round of beer at the next gathering if this works out.

Fencer's response is a common refrain to my initial conversations. In fact, I got that from a local bike dealer. When I compare the two responses, it makes me realize that perhaps some small businesses may perceive they do not need (operative word) a plan. They will actually thrive after a disaster because of the influx of business.
As a Shaolin Master, once you can snatch the pebbles from my hand, you will be ready. (make me buy)

You had best learn to walk on the rice paper first :D

As a Shaolin Master, once you can snatch the pebbles from my hand, you will be ready. (make me buy)
You had best learn to walk on the rice paper first :D
Ooh, ooh, a challenge. I love a good challenge!

Certainly, you would be a difficult one to win over because of your somewhat rare position of seemingly being able to profit in the aftermath. However, if your business doesn't survive to participate in the aftermath, then you obviously won't stand to make a profit. My first round of questions would go something like this:

How many employees do you have?

What do you do if your suppliers are knocked out by a natural or man-made disaster?

How long would it take insurance to issue a check to replace your essential tools and lost inventory?

Do you have sufficient cash reserves to meet payroll and other expenses until insurance ponies up?

Are you able to help your disaster-stricken employees and their families? I'm betting at least some of them drank their last paycheck and only have two nickels left.

How would you communicate with them if they had to evacuate or if power was knocked out?

Are you assuming the government is going to help get you back on your feet?

What about customers? Do you have data backed-up, accessible, and a system in which they can be retrieved to establish follow-on business to make their fence repairs?

What if your bank goes under and the feds close it for some reason? FDIC insures up to $100K, but ask IndyMac customers what really happens.

As you probably noticed, these questions are scenario-based... and not too far-fetched. I have others.

As for your earlier longevity question, my business does provide follow-on services. My goal is to revisit plans I write on an annual basis (perhaps quarterly or bi-annually when certain cases merit). More importantly, when a predictable "surprise" comes along, like a hurricane, I will call clients to ensure that they're up to date.