Opening TWN .GPX Files

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MCML

Not All Who Wander Are Lost
Reaction score
Edit at 18:05 PDT 02 Sept 2008

(1) Thanks to all for their input. I have received offers of help on behalf of Tim and if this can be done (an open questoin at the moment) we have the people who can do it.

(2) At the risk of further annoying the admins, I thought that I had clearly stated that nowhere else seemed logical to me as this isn't really about parts and accessories either. I viewed it as a software/computing question and we really do not have a place for that here becasue, well, it really is a software question not a motorcycle question. Further it was recognized, and stated, up front that where I originally posted may have been the wrong place to post it. A simple, "Yeah, you were right to wonder if this was the correct place. Thanks, for being aware of that. We have relocated the thread." seems more appropriate to me that what was written. But what do I know? Oh well, I guess I'll have to return my Mensa card.

End of edit.

I don't know if this is the place to start this thread but nowhere else seemed logical either and I think it may get the best exposure here. Admins, relocate this if you must.

I am almost done writing up the Ride Report for TWN's Hyder, AK trip. I know that he had his Zumo set to "capture" the route and I want to add the route map to the ride report. I have some files that Duff pulled off TWN's gps and forwarded to me. I have tried to open them with the MapSource software that came with my Street Pilot III and I have tried to open them with Google Earth. Neither has worked. Even if can get them open I suspect that I will need some instruction in how to turn them into a complete and post-able map/picture. If you can help me turn those .gpx files into a route map that I can post with the Ride Report then please send me a pm and we can take it from there.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know if this is the place to start this thread but nowhere else seemed logical either and I think it may get the best exposure here.
Don't be placing threads because you want the "best exposure". That's actually a good way to annoy an admin....especially me.

Put it in the CORRECT area.

Is a .GPX file part of the stock FJR? No....so it doesn't belong in FJR Specific Discussion.

It's a file that's related to a popular part people add to their FJR? Yes....so Parts and Accessories. You'll find almost all other GPS related questions in this area.

Another program that does read .GPX files and interchange to others is GPSU. You can get a download with much functionality here.

I made the picture in this post by opening the saved route in mapsource, then doing a screen capture.

Is this what you are trying to make?

03JUL_ride.jpg

What happens when you try to open the .gpx file in mapsource? Anything? Error?

I don't know if this is the place to start this thread but nowhere else seemed logical either and I think it may get the best exposure here.
Don't be placing threads because you want the "best exposure". That's actually a good way to annoy an admin....especially me.

Is a .GPX file part of the stock FJR? No....so it doesn't belong in FJR Specific Discussion.

It's a file that's related to a popular part people add to their FJR? Yes....so Parts and Accessories. You'll find almost all other GPS related questions in this area.

Another program that does read .GPX files and interchange to others is GPSU. You can get a download with much functionality here.

Thats is one of the rudest posts I've seen !! :angry: WTF ..

Which is exactly why I have been a lurker since I ordered my '05 in April of '04... Love the info but really cant get with the criticism that follows from uppities that are super pro forum function. Google works for most stuff and now that my bike (which is sport farkeled to extreme, the way I like it) most of the new stuff doesn't apply annyway... Still I am on the site almost every evening.

I know...Offf Topppiicccc.. No one will read this anyway

WTF? Is right Highlander....

In the spirit of the man this post is all about :fuk:

iggy, stop yer gash whinnin, an help a brother out.

Oh, guess ya did..

done here

:jester:

Thats is one of the rudest posts I've seen !! :angry: WTF ..

+1

As you can see over in the Ride Reports section, we were able to solve the problem and include Tim's (recorded, partially reconstructed, and with a segment or two added in "post production") route map.

Many thanks to all for their help and support.