Opinions of MCL highway pegs

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now all I can think of is you walking over a row of 36" tall doghouses. Thanks.
weirdsmiley.gif

I got a chance to install the MCL highway pegs on Saturday and try them out yesterday on the freeway. I was concerned that it would be difficult to comfortably wrap my legs around that wide fairing enclosing the transverse Yamaha 4 cylinder engine. I am, however, hopelessly bowlegged (thanks, mom) and was able to easily make that stretch. I could easily either put the balls of my feet or hook my heels onto the pegs. The pegs were long enough to let me slide my feet laterally a couple of inches as well.

Another concern was that the corner of the fairing would press into my calf or the side of my shin. Fortunately, the fairing corner contacts my legs just below the tops of my boots and the boots provide a comfortable amount of padding in both foot placement positions.

I found it difficult to locate the pegs to unfold them with my toes without looking while in motion the first time. It was, however, simple to find them with my toes without looking to fold them back up. Once unfolded the pegs were easy to find with my feet without looking. When I wanted to shift back to the stock pegs my feet naturally went there, probably due to 5000 miles of muscle memory accumulation.

I'm looking forward to some good weather in the next couple of days to find out if these will appreciably extend the time I can spend in the saddle in comfort. This will make the difference between riding all the way to LaPine, OR, for Reuben Run 5 in comfort or gritting my teeth in misery for several hours.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've now had several stretches of over two hours in the saddle with no discomfort whatsoever. I rode to Sedro Wooley and back on Tuesday. Yesterday I did a loop that included the Edmond-Kingston Ferry and the Bainbridge-Seattle ferry. Today I was out with a group of ten riders from 9:00AM to 6:00PM riding up to Mt. Erie on Fidalgo Island and areas thereabouts. It's now easy to find the pegs and fold them up or down with my feet while riding. These pegs are a real game changer for me.

Retirement beats the hell out of working for a living.