Opinions on First test ride on FJR's

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lacofdfireman

Reaction score
Finally I was able to get to test ride a C14. I have been waiting for this Cycleworld International Motorcycle so I could have the ability to test ride the bikes I have been considering. C14, FJR, and BMW 1200RT. Kawasaki had about 8 C14's available for test rides, Yamaha had 1 AE model and one Clutch model and BMW had 4 1200RT's available. We showed up about an hour early and signed up for all our test rides of each bike.

First ride was the C14. Wow what an engine this bike has. Hands down the most powerful engine of the 3 by far. As far as the heat is concerned I felt it a non issue. We rode a course approximately 15 miles of both freeway and side streets. No annoying heat issues that I felt. The bike to me felt heavier than the others in both slow turning and at speed. I felt the bike was to top heavy and didn't really enjoy it as well as the others in the turns. Probably doesn't help that I am 6'4 either adding to the top heavyness. Windshield to me was worthless as it was on the FJR also especially for my height. Overall I would rate the bike as a good bike but probably not for me. This bike is definately more on the Sport side of Sport Touring than it is on the Touring side.

Next ride was the BMW R 1200RT. This bike was plush. Underpowered compared to the C14 and FJR but good enough for what I am wanting to do. Also the Heated seats and grips got so hot that I had to turn them off. Nice feature though. BMW was smooth as silk and if it wasn't so much more expensive and if the service was so expensive I would probably own this bike. I think it is the best looking bike also of the three.

Last ride was the FJR AE model and the Clutch model. I had a chance to ride these back to back. I must say having never ridden the AE model I was a little skeptical about having a bike with an Auto Shift but after riding it I am 100% sold. Although this bike didn't have the power of the C14 or the plushness of the BMW I felt it handled the best of all and fit me the best. I really was impressed with the feel and stability of the bike. Did I mention that I just LOVED the AE. This bike felt to me to be more of a Touring bike than a Sport bike and this is exactly what I was looking for. There will be an 08 FJR AE model in my garage sometime in the near future.

All these bikes were great and I am glad I had the oppertunity to ride each. One really could go either way on each of these bikes.. All of them have there own personalities so it will come down to personal preference on each. You cant go wrong on any of them I believe....

Thanks for the comments. As you said, it does boil down to personal prefrences. One note here, to be exact , the AE is not an Auto Shift , but an Auto Clutch...you still have to shift manualy...even though you can use the "paddle shifters" on the handlebars simular to many cars, or use the traditional left foot shifter.

I think the C14 is kinda ugly, and the BMW a bit plain looking, but hey, that's me. Am guessing you had no intrest in riding the Honda ST..or considering it for your future bike?

KM

I essentially did the same thing, but I didn't ride the FJR's since I have an AE already. I know there's a lot of fans of the new black A model, but in person, the AE's the better looking bike IMHO. The charcoal gray looks even better than the Cerulean Silver which surprised me. More masculine looking. The throttle is hugely different feeling, like night and day in doing the quick twisting on the show floor.

The C14 is a powerful bike, but I didn't like the riding position much off the bat, and there's something that feels vaguely cheap about it physically, strange. In any case, I like the way the C14 looks off the bike, but not as much on it. The FJR still wins there.

The BMW has that refined German quality in spades, and I liked it a lot. The gadgetry is fun, although I didn't really get a chance to fiddle as much as I would like. Nice machine, but the price/reliability factors always give me pause with these bikes. Better than the FJR? No, just different.

Other show favs in no particular order that I would own in a second

Triumph Speed Triple

Buell 1125R

Aprilla Tuono

I just bought my FJR two days ago, but it was after significant consideration of the C14, the FJR and the ST1300. I ride with guys who own dealerships, so I got to ride each. I've come from a history of hard core sport bikes, and recently made changes to bikes with more comfort (just had two v-stroms). My other bike is an Aprilia Tuono and it's awesome, but a completely different machine with compeltely different intent in mind to the FJR. It's my hooligan bike.

My impressions were

C14 - powerful. great motor. riding position was excellent (I'm 5'8"). great seat. I felt i could ride it all day. down sides were that the seat has a bit of a sport bike angle to it, and when i tested it with my significant other, she was unimpressed. passenger seat pegs were high, and she kept sliding into me. the stock windscreen sucks, but the brakes are first rate. turn in was lacking though, you feel the weight of the bike and it detracts from the overall experience. i rode it fast down country rodes but had to think about scrubbing off speed going into turns. overall a good bike, but those two points killed it for me.

ST - Comfort for me and the passenger was excellent, but the chassis just wasnt up to par and nowhere inthe league of the FJR. It had a vagueness at high speeds that was not confidence inspiring. it also lacked a bit of personality. but the chassis was the bad point in my book.

The FJR was the winner, although I will buy risers for it b/c it is my touring bike and i feel the position is slightly sporty. but everything else rocks. it handles very well, turns in fine, has an excellent motor and the passenger loves it. it also looks the best in my book. It's well thought out, looks great with or without the bags, and has a confidence inspiring and natural feel on the road.

I considered the BMW RT and the GT, and didnt ride them. I had ridden an 1150 RT and just didnt like that motor vibe. The cost was considerable, and when I went to test the GT it wouldnt go cause the engine cutoff on the stand was malfunctioning. nuff said.

Finally I was able to get to test ride a C14. I have been waiting for this Cycleworld International Motorcycle so I could have the ability to test ride the bikes I have been considering. C14, FJR, and BMW 1200RT. Kawasaki had about 8 C14's available for test rides, Yamaha had 1 AE model and one Clutch model and BMW had 4 1200RT's available. We showed up about an hour early and signed up for all our test rides of each bike
Last ride was the FJR AE model and the Clutch model. I had a chance to ride these back to back. I must say having never ridden the AE model I was a little skeptical about having a bike with an Auto Shift but after riding it I am 100% sold. Although this bike didn't have the power of the C14 or the plushness of the BMW I felt it handled the best of all and fit me the best. I really was impressed with the feel and stability of the bike. Did I mention that I just LOVED the AE. There will be an 08 FJR AE model in my garage sometime in the near future.
Once you go AE, you'll never go back! What a gem of a bike. If more riders would try one objectively and be open to change, rather than with the "macho" attitude, there would be a lot higher percentage sold and consequently many more locked into the Yammy fold. After all there is nowhere to go after an AE. It's not for everyone but I bet there are a lot of riders out there who would prefer it given half a chance.

PaulyG wrote:

C14 - powerful. great motor. riding position was excellent (I'm 5'8"). great seat. I felt i could ride it all day. down sides were that the seat has a bit of a sport bike angle to it, and when i tested it with my significant other, she was unimpressed. passenger seat pegs were high, and she kept sliding into me. the stock windscreen sucks, but the brakes are first rate. turn in was lacking though, you feel the weight of the bike and it detracts from the overall experience. i rode it fast down country rodes but had to think about scrubbing off speed going into turns.

That's the first time I have heard that characteristic expressed but you are exactly right. The same long stroke that gives the FJR it's abundant torque also serves to create strong engine braking, even with the 10.7:1 compression. The C14 lost the engine braking that the ZX14 had with it's high compression when they lowered it to 10.7-1.

My wife (5'7") found the riding position on the FJR "ok" when she first got on it and better with time on the bike. After a backrest was installed she even came to like it. She had been spoiled with a lot of Wing miles. She said the C14 was "out of the question!" Too high, too cramped and too exposed. Her sister (5'5") was less adament but still much preferred the FJR.

I am glad I am not alone with the passenger having her input when it comes to the C-14. My wife (5'9") said absolutely not. She didn't say I couldn't buy it, just she wouldn't be riding on it. She doesn't do alot of miles on the back (maybe 1 to 2 thousand miles a year) but I would miss those times together. I had my heart set on the Connie, but it wasn't till we both got on it that the FJR came onto the radar screen. After riding the AE (which is now in my garage) I had to wonder what I saw in the Connie to start with. If it wasn't for the HP, there is nothing that I prefer about the C-14 over my AE.

Once you go AE, you'll never go back! What a gem of a bike. If more riders would try one objectively and be open to change, rather than with the "macho" attitude, there would be a lot higher percentage sold and consequently many more locked into the Yammy fold. After all there is nowhere to go after an AE. It's not for everyone but I bet there are a lot of riders out there who would prefer it given half a chance.
I am not sure it is a "Macho" thing. Alot of people like myself for instance love to manipulate a clutch. It is just fun, like some people prefer stick shifts over automatics in cars. In a sports car such as a Mustang a stick is funner than an automatic tranny IMO.

I am not sure it is a "Macho" thing. Alot of people like myself for instance love to manipulate a clutch. It is just fun, like some people prefer stick shifts over automatics in cars. In a sports car such as a Mustang a stick is funner than an automatic tranny IMO.

Yeah, it's like you see a "middle-aged" lady or guy driving a brand new Vette, and it's automatic...

What fun is that?

All they do is drive back and forth to work in rush hour traffic anyway, and out to the lake once or twice in the summer....

There's not even much room to put a few groceries and a couple cases of beer.... ok, they' pbly have a couple bottles of wine, anyway...

Oh well, if it makes them feel young again...

But.... that' why we have bikes, right? <G>

I could see an auto clutch bike would help some folks, especially those that ride in heavy traffic every day.

Mary

Yeah, it's like you see a "middle-aged" lady or guy driving a brand new Vette, and it's automatic...

What fun is that?

All they do is drive back and forth to work in rush hour traffic anyway, and out to the lake once or twice in the summer....

There's not even much room to put a few groceries and a couple cases of beer.... ok, they' pbly have a couple bottles of wine, anyway...

Oh well, if it makes them feel young again...

But.... that' why we have bikes, right? <G>

I could see an auto clutch bike would help some folks, especially those that ride in heavy traffic every day.

Mary
Greb - I like clutches too. In Many cars I prefer them. My NSX would have been terrible with a clutch as would the Miata I had or the SER or a dozen others. I even have a clutch on my old Maxima SE - very rare!

krashdragon - You're right! I have had all clutch cars because auto's are just boring most times. Your "middle aged comment" was insensitive, cruel and er, TRUE! <_< .

I have a manual shift option on my Passat SW and given the car, it is probably the best compromise. I just think it could have been done better - as it was in the AE. While a clutch helps keep my attention in a car, it is unnecessary for that purpose on the FJR. On a bike you participate so much more in the whole experience that a clutch is not necessary (preferred by some but not necessary) to hold your attention. As formula 1 drivers have learned, it is an advantage to be able to leave your hand fully on the wheel/grip at all times. It also allows the rider more flexibility on body position as he is not concerned with left foot shift access. Now I realize that these are theoretical arguments as the average FJR owner dosen't scrape knee pads but they are condusive to better riding.

If sales trends continue, clutches slowly will be phased out over time on both cars. Technology is the enemy of the clutch. As more elegant solutions are brought to the market place, more and more drivers choose to delete the 3rd pedal. Bikes sales have demographics more like sports cars so they will be one of the last holdouts, but they will eventually succomb to advanced gear selection systems. I predict you will see a clutchless bike in motoGP in the next 3 years. They will make inroads into drag racing as well. You may see them banned from bracket racing as having an unfair advantage.

Yamaha's method of introducing the technology by essentially doing nothing was woefully inadequate and did the AE a disservice. By not responding to the naysayers with improved capability and multiple maping choices they have further shown a incredibile lack of understanding of the MC populace. Irrespective of Yamaha's continued missteps with the AE the technology will inevitably take root. Might be with Honda or Suzuki if they don't get their act together, but it will gain acceptance and eventually preference. Of course this is all IMHO. What do YOU think?