Orangevale, Auburn, Colfax, Nevada City

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OrangevaleFJR

R.I.P. Our FJR Riding Friend
Reaction score
Route:

Auburn Folsom road from Orangevale to Auburn. I-80 to Colfax, 174 to Nevada City. 49 through North San Juan, Downieville, to 89 to Truckee, then I-80 over Donner and down to Sierra College road and home.

I saw two 04 FJR's. One headed West toward North San Juan on 49, the other on 89 going South toward Truckee riding with a Concours??? with a sidecar. Love seeing FJR's

Impressions...49 was a fantastic ride, and so good I'd doing it again this weekend (see ride planning for upcoming planning threads).

Pics:

Historic Colfax:

DSC01288.jpg

49 between North San Juan and Downieville:

DSC01289.jpg

49 Between Downieville and Sierraville:

DSC01292.jpg

North Yuba River:

DSC01295.jpg

DSC01300.jpg

See next post :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I've seen an FJR pictured here before:

DSC01302.jpg

The ferns were changing color, as were some aspen. This weekend should be really colorful...go ride!

DSC01306.jpg

Met some guys with nice bikes...I took a pic of them:

DSC01311.jpg

...and they took a pic of me at the overlook of the valley North of Lake Tahoe:

DSC01312.jpg

and I took a pic of the view from that pull out on 49 approaching 89

DSC01315.jpg

In Truckee, a dog was howling for his master:

DSC01317.jpg

Dogs are cool

The sun was getting down low in the West and reflected off the famous train lines:

DSC01322.jpg

...and shining on the hills in the East

DSC01326.jpg

and a pic of the street in Truckee

DSC01320.jpg

I hope you enjoyed!

That dog wasn't howling for it's owner, it was looking for a mate! Hope you had fun! :D ;)

(Nice pics, and yeah, 49 is bitchin'. I've only done a small section, but I will do the whole route someday...)

I LOVE that ride. I probably can't count how may times I've done that one since I first discovered it back in '79. One of these days, I'll have to show you how to avoid most of the slab from Truckee to Auburn (there is a part where construction of 80 took out old Hwy 40, so you are stuck on it for a while, still). I'd write it out, but honestly, the description of some of the sections just aren't a short exercise in typing (e.g., how to get from Alta to the bend at the stop sign on 174 or from 174 through old Colfax to Tokiana/Placer Hills Road through Clipper Gap, and into Auburn). When we did it in June, it was either MadMike or RogDeb or ??? who thought he could reproduce it from his GPS, but I haven't heard if that was ever done.

Nice pics.

Nice pic's, your in my backyard now. :cownoy:
Yah? My wife's parents lived just outside of North San Juan and her cousins live in Grass Valley...where are you? We're up there a lot and it isn't exactly far from Orangevale anyway :)

I noticed that my pic links were down.I was updating them when Photobucket went on their scheduled downtime...but I got most of them back in

nice pics, let me know when you come this way again, I live in Grass Valley and have an 05 ABS, Bugnator 04ABS lives here too!

FJROB

Keep watching the ride planning section. We have rides going thru your area all the time. I live just north of Marysville. :cownoy:

OrangevaleFJR

Thanks for taking and sharing all the worderful pics in this topic as well as others. Your picture composition is excellent.

What camera r you using?

Tks

OrangevaleFJR
Thanks for taking and sharing all the worderful pics in this topic as well as others. Your picture composition is excellent.

What camera r you using?

Tks
First, thanks!

In this particular ride, I was solo and took all the pics myself, however in most of my ride reports my wife is the mobile photographer :)

We use a Sony DSC H1

we bought it because of the 12x optical zoom, anti vibration features, data storage capability and various other neato tricks.

First website I could find with info on camera

OrangvaleFJR

Thanks for the info on your camera.

The anti-vibration feature on your camera makes your pictures crisp and sharp.

I am unable to get that level of crispness with the DSLR I have...I need anti vibration lens

Look forward to more pictures from you.