Organizing the Space in the Hard Bags

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frayne

Reaction score
Being one that is not too original I have yet to find a way to organize and effeciently use the sapce in my hard bags. I carry a raincoat, extra helmut, jacket, tire repair kit, bassball cap, bottled water and usually a camera. I have heard some say that they have used cargo netting to help keep from having stuff fall out when opening the case, but I have yet to find where I can buy any.

So the question is, who has the best organized hard case/bags, and pictures would be nice.

All ideas, suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Being one that is not too original I have yet to find a way to organize and effeciently use the sapce in my hard bags. I carry a raincoat, extra helmut, jacket, tire repair kit, bassball cap, bottled water and usually a camera. I have heard some say that they have used cargo netting to help keep from having stuff fall out when opening the case, but I have yet to find where I can buy any.
So the question is, who has the best organized hard case/bags, and pictures would be nice.

All ideas, suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
You might try something like the nets found in late model car trunks. My mom has a Nissan Maxima (06 I think) with two small nets on the sides. You should be able to get the mounting hooks and nets at a salvage yard if you don't want to go to the stealership. Might have to search around some used car lots to find some nets the right size though. Just tell them you need to be able to organize the body parts efficiently. :unsure:

David

My side bags are very neat and orderly. Kinda hard to mess up empty space :p

If you're worried about stuff falling out, use the soft bag liners and retaining straps. Nothing will fall out that way B)

482792480_6a2bb1c8d4.jpg

I found a couple of zippered pouches. Velcroed one on the side inside front cover on the left side of left bag. The other one on the left side inside the case body. They hold gloves, shield cleaner, cloth, earplugs, whatever small stuff I want to stay put when I open the case. Leaves enough room for my helmut. The right side case I leave the Yamaha liner in to help cushion such things as liquor and whatver else I'm might be buying along the way. It's been a work in progress. That's where I'm at so far. Always looking for better ideas.

Jay

This is one question that is begging to be asked. Why the extra helmet ? How do you know what size ?

:rolleyes:

Mac

HAHAHA...good one Jim. Also, those bungee nets can be found in large abundance on Fleabay (Ebay)... but it seems to me that Walmart or Kmart should have nets, too.

Last edited by a moderator:
HAHAHA...good one Jim. Also, those bungee nets can be found in large abundance on Fleabay (Ebay)... but it seems to me that Walmart or Kmart should have nets, too.
You might also want to check into bag liners instead of bungee nets. Little stuff doesn't fall out of them, you can just pick them up by the handle and bring the whole shebang into your motel room or tent. I'm not sure if anybody makes one for the FJR. I'm a BMW guy.

As far as what goes where: I carry all my mechanical stuff in one side bag, all my personal stuff in the other, and all the stuff I might need to get to quickly (spare gloves, heated gear, etc) in the top case.

Try a bag to put your gear in.Put some velcro on the bottom and side of the bag ,then matching velcro on the inside of the cases.Real old trick but worked on Krause cases years ago.

To try and keep loose stuff from sliding around, I put 1/8' cork in one bag - the bottom and bottom half of the sides. Easy to do - adhesive on the back. I also carry a first aid kit, air pump, tire repair stuff, and reading glasses. I have them in one of the OEM bags, but I'm just going to find a small nylon/canvas bag to stick them in to gain some room back in my right side bag. I like jcrouch's idea of the small bags velcroed in.

for the tank bag and the saddle bags (even when using the liners) i've found that the Eagle Creek Cubes work the best of anything I've tried.

I can pack a day's change of clothes into a full cube (blue jeans, shirt, socks, shorts). 2 Cubes, and 1 Half cube will fit in a liner. (or 2 cubes and 2 quarter cubes, etc.). Mix and match to taste (shirts in a half cube, socks and shorts in a half cube, etc.). I use a quarter cube to keep all the power cords in my tank bag under control (no more rats nest of wires in the bottom of the tank bag). I'm using a Half Cube to hold all my tire repair stuff (including a 12v pump, mushroom and sticky string plugs (and tools) and CO2 gun and 12 carts). Using the Cube system I can pack more into a liner and removing some items (while using them on the road) doesn't cause the rest of the stuff to tumble into the gap like digging a hole in sand.

Last edited by a moderator:
for the tank bag and the saddle bags (even when using the liners) i've found that the Eagle Creek Cubes work the best of anything I've tried.
I can pack a day's change of clothes into a full cube (blue jeans, shirt, socks, shorts). 2 Cubes, and 1 Half cube will fit in a liner. (or 2 cubes and 2 quarter cubes, etc.). Mix and match to taste (shirts in a half cube, socks and shorts in a half cube, etc.). I use a quarter cube to keep all the power cords in my tank bag under control (no more rats nest of wires in the bottom of the tank bag). I'm using a Half Cube to hold all my tire repair stuff (including a 12v pump, mushroom and sticky string plugs (and tools) and CO2 gun and 12 carts). Using the Cube system I can pack more into a liner and removing some items (while using them on the road) doesn't cause the rest of the stuff to tumble into the gap like digging a hole in sand.
I'll have to try that. I have some other stuff Eagle Creek makes and it is good quality. Thanks.

I have found the liners that came with my '06 FJR to be substandard. The only good thing about them is that they have nice embroidery. My wife just did some sewing to put a strap back on and keep one zipper on. They sould last another trip or 2. I see new ones on ebay for $50 + shipping :cry:

I like those Eagle Creek Cubes! Any other ideas out there besides OEM "fallapart" bag liners?

I have found the liners that came with my '06 FJR to be substandard. The only good thing about them is that they have nice embroidery. My wife just did some sewing to put a strap back on and keep one zipper on. They sould last another trip or 2. I see new ones on ebay for $50 + shipping :cry: I like those Eagle Creek Cubes! Any other ideas out there besides OEM "fallapart" bag liners?
One strap on one of my bag liners came off the first time I used it. The dealer replaced it under warranty.

I also removed the OEM straps holding the bag liners in. At each of the 4 corners, I installed a dime-sized circular key ring. Then put 3 mini-bungees in an "X" configuration. I also pinched closed the hooks on one end of each bungee so I wouldn't lose them.

My left saddlebag is usually empty and that's where I store my helmet when away from the bike. The right saddlebag has the OEM liner in it and that's where I put my tools, compressor, tire plugger, rain jacket, flashlight, etc.

I put my baseball cap in my left saddlebag while riding and thread one bungee thru the rear strap of the cap. I thread 2 bungees thru the strap on the right side bag liner. This way, if I get careless, and don't close the saddlebag securely, the door may come open but, hopefully, the bungees will keep things inside the saddlebags until my dumba$$ attack subsides.

If the above description is not clear, I can take some pics and post.

I bought some 4"x20" foam from the fabric/craft place, Then traced the outline of the hardbag (when open) then with the electric carving knife (Shhhhh!) cut out that shape (like some did with the seat foamectomy) then cut tight spaces for your item's. The foam will hold them in place. Velcro foam to inside of either inside half or outside half, or both! Just like a professional photog's camera case! (YES that's where I got the Idea) Can be removed for Lg item's