Organizing the Space in the Hard Bags

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Being one that is not too original I have yet to find a way to organize and effeciently use the sapce in my hard bags. I carry a raincoat, extra helmut, jacket, tire repair kit, bassball cap, bottled water and usually a camera. I have heard some say that they have used cargo netting to help keep from having stuff fall out when opening the case, but I have yet to find where I can buy any.
So the question is, who has the best organized hard case/bags, and pictures would be nice.

All ideas, suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
2006 FJR - I didn't like all the stuff falling out of the saddle bags. I got a Corbin Smuggler trunk to take the place of the back seat for the stuff I use most often, gloves wallet hat, maps, etc. and just keep the stuff I don't often use in the saddle bags. I use an old soft helmet bag to hold misc. items and just use the cords that came in the bags, works well for me.

If the above description is not clear, I can take some pics and post.
Geez, you have to ask? Pics, man!
OK, Scabbie. You asked for it...you got it!

Helmet stowed when parked...

BagBungees.jpg

Baseball cap stowed when riding...

BagBungeesII.jpg

Nice looking Shoei! What model is that?

I like the mini bungee set up. I think I may try that over the factory straps.

Since I run without bags 90% of the time (have them on for overnights only) I carry the misc in a tank bag and under the seat. I have some Eagle Creek cubes on the way to see if they will help space management of the factory luggage.

Last edited by a moderator:
If the above description is not clear, I can take some pics and post.
Geez, you have to ask? Pics, man!
OK, Scabbie. You asked for it...you got it!

Helmet stowed when parked...

BagBungees.jpg

Baseball cap stowed when riding...

BagBungeesII.jpg
I really like what you've done here, but i want to do this on the "lid" side of the bag. does anyone know of a way to install small attachment points to the lid side of the bag, then use this key ring / small bungee idea?

GreyGoose

Wow, I never thought saddlebag technology would go this far.

I kept it simple. I can pack 5 days worth of clothes, small hair dryer, a pair of sneakers and my valet bag in these

You can squeeze two sweatshirts together down to nothing. All it takes is a little "creative folding". ;)

They don't work well on helmets though... :rolleyes:

Corbin should give one of these free with every smuggler purchase.

:blink: I went ahead and bit the bullet and got a Corbin Smuggler for the '06 and it has all the wearable flashlights, both string and mushroom plug tire repair kits, inflation system, security lock and cable, first aid kit, rubber bands, plastic ties, plastic ziplock bags, magnifying glass and rain gear that's all easily accessible.

The left hand compartment has the tire gauge, garage door opener, GPS cover, gas receipt logs.

On my extended road trips such as the one I will be taking next month (Albuquerque, Grand Canyon, San Simeon, Hearst Castle, Big Sur, Carmel, 17 mile Drive, Monterey, San Francisco, Sausilito, Yosemite, Moab, Million Dollar Highway, Durango, Sante Fe) I find the liners in the saddle bags invaluable.

Am able to pack six longsleeve shirts, six pairs sox, six pairs skivies, three pairs pants, one longsleeve thermal shirt, longsleeve cotton T-shirt, pair of shorts, shoes, extra pair of gloves, computer, camera, tripod, light meter, I-pod, manuals, ac adaptors, rechargers, manuals, road atlas, maps, printed itineraries, toiletries etc., etc.. I know what hotels have laundry facilities and when I will need to do that.

Stuff I may need to get to on the road stays at the top of the liners (i.e. camera, tripod and light meter)

GPS has all daily routes, gas stops, lunch stops logged in.

Riding gear includes: Cycleport Air Mesh Kevlar jacket with waterproof liner, Cycleport Kevlar Police pants, Arai with light smoke visor, Sidi boots, Rev'it gloves, Camelback with 100 fl oz. bladder.

Extra ignition and smuggler key squirreled away.

System has evolved and seems to work.

Wow!!! Fancy stuff. We don't get the case liners here, I just stuff two garbage bags full of gear and take the cases into the room at night, no one ever sees the garbage bags.

This isn't a solution to organizing the entire saddlebag, but I put liner in the lid to keep small stuff like maps, zip-locs and my security cable. It's just some fabric I had lying about with velcro sewn around the perimeter. I used self-adhesive velcro on the lid. A square of velcro in the middle of the top divides the liner into two parts. The padlock for the cable is velcro'd in place as well.

101_0109.jpg

Craig

I keep it simple - I use those bags that come with new helmets. I have 3 of my own and I try to blag them off mates too. They're simple, effective and easy to carry if need be.