Original Grip Buddies install and brief review

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What does that mean? Give me a call to discuss? If you have a solution, or if you are offering replacements, or whatever, why not just say it here? We are giving you a thread to help sell your product and give you good reviews. We all deserve to know what you will do in this situation.

So, what's the policy? It would be nice to have it here in print for anyone who has this problem or anyone thinking of ordering.

Dave,

I got the shipping email confirmation, looking forward to giving them a try.

Thanks for your help with the order and quick turnaround!

What does that mean? Give me a call to discuss? If you have a solution, or if you are offering replacements, or whatever, why not just say it here? We are giving you a thread to help sell your product and give you good reviews. We all deserve to know what you will do in this situation.

So, what's the policy? It would be nice to have it here in print for anyone who has this problem or anyone thinking of ordering.

my guess is he wants to fully understand the issue you are having. Maybe ask a few questions to make sure what needs to be done so you get it fixed right the first time. And he probably wants to make sure he has answered all your questions.

my guess is he wants to fully understand the issue you are having. Maybe ask a few questions to make sure what needs to be done so you get it fixed right the first time. And he probably wants to make sure he has answered all your questions.
Totally agree! Just from the post in this thread Dave strikes me as a stand up guy who goes way beyond to satisfy. If he has asked you to call him to discuss the problem just call him. My guess is he will resolve any issues you may have to your satisfaction. His customer service in this thread alone has sold me on his product!

Also, LAF - thanks for the reply on the diameter comparison of the puppies and buddies!

Whoa. Take a deep breath. Then a chill pill. And call Dr. Dave in the morning. ;)

Dude, I was chill yesterday and I am chill today. Still stand by what I wrote. Past and future customers will read this thread and may have the same issues. Why not resolve it right here? In print? Not sure why anyone wouldn't want that. I didn't call Dave to give a review, I wrote it here, like he asked me to. Just looking for the same courtesy. Thanks, though.

I installed the Grip Buddies about two weeks ago. After about a week, I removed them for some adjustments and found that the adhesive had softened and some had came off of the Grip Buddies leaving a very sticky mess on the factory grips. I was able to get them reinstalled and they seem to be holding but they are a little less secure than before. Should I ever decide to remove them it will take some work to remove the adhesive from the factory grips or require installing new grips. I had Grab On grip covers on prior to installing the Grip Buddies. I was very satisfied with the Grab On covers and the main reason I purchased the Grip Buddies was the fact they would not absorb water. As far as using them, I really can't say one gives a better feel than the other. They both do a good job.

I ordered a set of grip puppies two weeks ago and they came quickly. I forgot to mention that I had heated grips instead of the skinny stock grips, so I got ones that were too small (my fault). I wanted to use them for a long ride I had coming up, so I contacted them and they sent a new set before I even got the wrong ones sent back. Very good customer service. More businesses could take a lesson from them. The new ones work great and still transfer heat through the grips.

I want to thank the original poster for the nice product review. I have been using grip puppies for years and don't like it when they soak up water.

I want to thank Dirty Hippie for allowing me to see just how great Dave will stand behind his product.

When I order a set for my bike I will make sure to confirm the correct size for my grips.

I will also make sure my grips are clean and dry before installation. In fact I may install new grips first, because oils can soak into grips as well as cleaning products. I will try to avoid anything that might keep the adhesive from sticking.

I know different materials need different types of adhesive to stick well. For me I think I will add a more permanant type adhesive to the grips and grip buddies.

I can afford to replace grips and install new grip buddies and don't need to remove and reinstall them.

Now I just need to call Dave and place my order.

Thanks to everyone posting, and helping me spend more money.

EDIT: Easier than that, I ordered online and paid with paypal.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dave - I want to say thanks for the custom order, they are working out great! Better grip and firmer as well. The most difficult part was waiting for it to stay below 80 degrees to apply the 3m adhesion promoter. Thanks for the great service, you have a terrific product.

I recently returned from a 2,400 mile ride to Nova Scotia/Cape Breton and my grip buddies started to slip badly on the trip. I thought I followed the installation instructions very closely including cleaning the grips but when the temp hit the high 80's both grips started to slip and squirm. Surprisingly, the throttle side actually held up a little better than the left grip! I'll be calling Dave to see what he recommends.

I love these things!

I was getting some wear after a couple months of use, I am very hard on grips. As I have a road trip coming up I decided to order some replacements. Much to my delight I see they have a heavy duty model. I called to order them Friday and had a nice chat with Dave, who was very helpful and just a darn nice guy. To top it off he wouldn't take my money. He sent me a more expensive product, for free because I'm hard on them. I got them today (Monday). Of course they are installed already, The weatherman may not let me try hem for a day or so. The Heavy duty model is thinner and smother surfaced than the originals. Dave said they don't absorb quite as much shock and don't do quite as well in the rain. I can live with this if they survive more of my abuse ;)

I suspect they may pass a bit more heat from the grip warmers, we shall see.

I'm very impressed with the service I received as well as the product. I highly recommend them!

Rep said:
I've just put the finishing touches on my one-piece (no stitching), Super Slim Adventure Touring Wallet that folds into itself and gives you a non-bulky solution for your valuables when you're on a longish Adventure on your FJR.
I couldn't find any info on the wallet on your site ;( Is it available yet? link?

I've taken mine off and put them back on a time or two and glue seems to be holding just fine.

I have ruined one of mine, however, using the Throttle Boss. No fault of the Buddy, the TB just mashes it down too much. :uhhuh:

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.