Original Grip Buddies

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monty

Reaction score
I mishandled one of mine and ruined it. Dave replaced it free of charge. Where else can you get a warranty like that? :clapping:

I mishandled one of mine and ruined it. Dave replaced it free of charge. Where else can you get a warranty like that? :clapping:
Where is Dave from, what company and does he have a website? I tore one of mine up also this week due to my own fault also. I would Gladly buy another set if he still has them.

Another Dave

I am ordering these.

On a side note, I had my tail bag flap open in a VERY strong crosswind, and lost a few items in the couple seconds before I realized it. I stopped the bike and hiked back about a quarter mile and rescued lots of little lightweight things. One thing I lost though was my one of my Rokstraps. (actually 1/4 of the set) I emailed the distributor to buy the 1 strap (of the 4 piece set) that I lost, and was told I was SOL.. I had to buy the whole set again.

I was pretty angry so I told them in a reply email about how that was ridiculous, they don't operate in a vacuum , there are competitors with similar products. That resulted in an email from the President of of the US distributor. Guess what he said .... " you are SOL"

I LOVE my Rokstraps.. and I did buy another set. Imagine they were actually customer service oriented like Dave... I wasn't asking for anything free, I wanted to buy something.

I screwed one of mine up to so will order another set. Still love em though!

I received mine from Dave yesterday. They are definitely a step up from the grip wraps I've had on the bike for the last 3 years. I would highly recommend them.

I'll attest to Dave's customer service. I was out in Denver last week, riding for the first time with my set of Grip Buddies. Unfortunately, the adhesive failed on the throttle side the first day, and on the clutch side the next. Not cool riding up (or down) Mt. Evans with the throttle grip rotating. I sent Dave a note here on the forum, telling him of my experience, and requesting a full refund. He called an hour later, and explained the heat issue that had affected the adhesive on the first model he sold. He mentioned that he now had adhesive that was rated at 220 degrees, instead of 185, and said he would replace mine at no charge. I told him that I really just wanted my money refunded, and he said he would do that, and send me a set of the new and improved version, free of charge. I declined that offer, as I'm going to try something else on my grips, but I told him I did appreciate his efforts to make it right.

You can be assured that if you buy Dave's grips, you wil get customer service like what existed in the good old days...

I too had a set of the early production grip buddies. The adhesive had failed and the buddies were sliding around. i called Dave(after 5:00PM)and left a message, he called and left a message to call anytime. I called at 7:30PM, Dave answered, explained the production issue, immediately offered to replace the Grip Buddies at no charge and mail them on his dime also. As promised they arrived a few days later.

Great service from a great guy! By the way, I like the Grip Buddies much better than the old grip puppies.

Thanks dave!!!

I ordered and got the grip wrapper 'shark skin' last week from Original Grip Buddies. Today I rode to work and what a difference it made. Great improvement on the stock grip which did not have a good friction especially with thick gloves. Now I no longer struggle with the throttle and fully in control. Just a gentle twist on the grip I can get the bike going smoothly on demand. The installation is easy though some force is needed to pull the wrapper around the grip. The seam where two lip meets does not look great (one higher than the other) but it doesn't seem to bother when riding with gloves. I recommended it.

Just ordered a pair after reading this. The grips on the bike are thin and hard as a rock. Was shopping for new grips and decided to check the forum for possible recommendations. Looking forward to getting these wraps and going for a ride.

I ordered and got the grip wrapper 'shark skin' last week from Original Grip Buddies. Today I rode to work and what a difference it made. Great improvement on the stock grip which did not have a good friction especially with thick gloves. Now I no longer struggle with the throttle and fully in control. Just a gentle twist on the grip I can get the bike going smoothly on demand. The installation is easy though some force is needed to pull the wrapper around the grip. The seam where two lip meets does not look great (one higher than the other) but it doesn't seem to bother when riding with gloves. I recommended it.
Exactly my experience. I got my grips from Dave a few weeks ago but haven't had a chance to test them until today due to health issues. After a little 80 mile run I will add that the Grip Buddies soften vibration and provide extra leverage on the throttle. I have big hands and the extra diameter the Grip Buddies provide really helps.

I would also like to add my experience both with the grip buddies and Dave's superb costumer service.

First they are very easy to install if you just take your time and properly align them and wrap them. I came from a Suzuki M50 to the 2012 FJR and one thing that I didn't care for on the bike was the smaller diameter handle bar grips, but from what I've now seen it seems common on sport bikes then on cruisers. To fix that I first found grip puppies and although they solved the problem with increasing the grip, and decreased the vibrations, they, as others did point out, sucked up water and didn't even last 6 months before they started to rip. I then found Dave's grips and at first I wasn't sure due to the wrapping and having a line but actually it's not noticeable if you install them as Dave instructs. The much higher quality matterial that Dave uses will not suck up water and I can see them lasting much longer, plus they feel great when I'm gripping the bars and what little vibrations I had are gone.

Second part I'd like to talk about it Dave superb costumer service. When I ordered them they were only 4.5" long but for some reason my bike, and I've not modified the grips, are 4.75". I'm not sure if there was a change to the bike for 2012 since the heated grips became standard but according to Dave the correct size should have been 4.5". When I first installed them they were OK but with the gap, even though it was small, was irritating. I emailed Dave and told him about the issue and he called and emailed me back and he quickly agreed to send me at no charge, replacement grips with the size of 4.75". Now considering that the product is only around $10 plus shipping, he could have just ignored me or just said screw you, like a lot of other companies do, but he DID NOT!! Taking the time to investigate the issue, refit the grip buddies and ship them out at no charge shows someone who is very passionate about their product and willing to completely stand by it. In this day and age, that is a very rare find!!

If anyone is thinking about getting grips go with the Grip Buddies from Dave, www.originalgripbuddies.com, you will not be disappointed. The increase size fits great, prefect for long distance riding, reduced vibrations, high quality materials, easy installation and outstanding customer service. I'm letting everyone I know about them and hope you do as well!!

specool.gif

Keep riding, rubber side down!! :)

I had these on my previous bike but the FJR has heated grips - Does it affect that . i.e do the heated grips still work well or do you lose some of the heating ?

thanks

The heat works fine.

I have found that after they get a bit of wear you can pull them off and reinstall then in the opposite direction.

Last edited by a moderator:
+1 superb service. I am not sure I like the new ones as well as the old. They are spongier and apparently last longer. Hmmm. More research required.

I had these on my previous bike but the FJR has heated grips - Does it affect that . i.e do the heated grips still work well or do you lose some of the heating ?
thanks
I've not had a chance to try out the heated grips on them, with 100+ degree weather it's hard to even think about turing them on, but from what I've read they shouldn't effect it. Might take a little bit more time for them to warm up but I could deal with that. Overall I would think that they would help to make them work better since it would act like insulation keeping the heat longer.

I've been using grip puppies for a while now. Ordered a pair for the FJR and then saw this thread. So I ordered a couple pair of these too. They look great and easy to install, no doubt. And I like doing business with companies that still care about the customer.