OSRAM - Night Breaker H4 lamp

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you take just a little bit of food grade silicon grease and spread it over the inner surfaces of those rubber boots, they become much easier to put back in place. Non-food grade would probably work just fine. It's just what I had for working on Scuba gear.

If you take just a little bit of food grade silicon grease and spread it over the inner surfaces of those rubber boots, they become much easier to put back in place. Non-food grade would probably work just fine. It's just what I had for working on Scuba gear.
BkrK12,

Good tip! Thanks!

SilverBullet,

Thanks for the updated website. I think this is the link about the bulb reviews:

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/products/prod..._of_winter.html

WW

Last edited by a moderator:
After hearing the installation troubles, I sprayed my boots with silicone.

They went on easy.

Night Breakers are better, but still don't understand the +90 B.S. ??

Just a note on longevity of the increased output H4 bulbs. The extra performance ain't free. I just replaced the two Philips +50 bulbs I installed last year (about 10,000 miles). The OEM ones were 3 years old.(about 24,000 miles) FYI. The Philips did put out more light.

Interesting that they both went within a half hour of each other yesterday. I guess that supports the common "replace bulbs in pairs" advice. Which I did after stopping at the nearby NAPA which had only one option for me, something called H4BL 'bright lite" (something like that). Wagner brand I think. At least they were cheap, maybe $12 each.

I'll be calling Murph to get some silver stars or more Philips. I don't want to be caught out in the boonies with both headlights going away on me. Another good reason for auxilliary lighting- glad I have some Hella 550s out front.

Still a PITA to change those bulbs, especially the right one. Yikes.

As a data point on bulb life of the OSRAM Night Breakers. Both of my low beam filaments just burned out within 2 days of each other with approx 7K on them. I will still get them again as I found them far superior to stock.

I just rubbed on a little silicone grease on the boots and wiped off the residue, they went on rather slick. BUT, to make it easier, take the dash covers off to give you more room, especially on the right side. Worked like a charm, no issue after I figured that out. Still no picnic.

Thought I'd bump this ancient thread with a lifespan report on the Osram Nightbreakers....

Heading out of the neighborhood this morning I flipped the high-beams on and the left lit, then went dark, all in a brief moment.

Low beam still intact. I've had the Nightbreakers in about a year.

In the past I've used Osram Silverstars +50, Philips Vision Plus +50, and Narva Rangepower....and never had one die on the job yet.

A year is a bit less than I expected just from past history with other Osram bulbs, but probably on par with what is usually expected from a high output bulb.

The good part was that it was the left bulb....I still remember wishing I had midget hands getting the right bulb R&R'd.

**edit**

Found a pair of new Osram Nightbreakers on ebay from a UK seller (highly rated powerbulbs.com) for $21.11 shipped ($15.76 for the pair of bulbs and <$5 shipping from the UK). Not bad at all

Last edited by a moderator:
The boots generally havent been the issue for me. It's the daggone bulb holder. I learned after the time to use some dielectric grease on the pins to make the next excahnge easier.

I thought about starting a new thread, but decided to drag this old one kicking and screaming into today.

Almost exactly 7 months and 9000 miles ago I replaced the stock bulbs with OSRAM Night Breaker bulbs. The stock bulbs were still working fine after 32,000 miles but I wanted to try the Night Breakers. I really liked the extra light and whiter color. But as has been mentioned many times before, you pay a price in longevity with higher output bulbs. My left low beam just died. I reinstalled a stock bulb that I saved. I'm gonna keep the right OSRAM bulb in to see how much longer it lasts. I could easily run with just one low beam (some bikes come that way) but knowing the propensity of bulbs to burn out in pairs, I don't want to get stuck with both out.

I should also mention how easy it was to change this bulb because I had used dielectric grease on the connector and boot when I changed the bulbs. I really had to tug to get the boot off 7months ago and this was while the whole nose fairing was laying on my bench as I accomplished the dreaded spider repair.

I have used the PIAA Xtreme white bulbs and have been very pleased with the whiter, more intense light. I've been running the PIAA bulbs (I think they claim 80/100 watts of light with current draw consistent with 55/60) and they do seem to work as advertised and I haven't had one burn out yet.