Out of state Performance Awards (Speeding Ticket)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Whatever happens, just be glad you didn't get a ticket in VA as an out-of-stater. You get to make a return personal appearance with a schister in tow (unless of course you would prefer to have a criminal record plus a report to your state's DMV). Don't ask how I know.
Let's get the spelling straight: it's "SHYSTER". Damn useless spell checkers! :D

Montana reports to California. Damn insurance rates went up from my last indescretion :angry:

I'm from Ontario Canada. If I'm riding in the USA, the only states that share such traffic infractions with our motor vehicle license bureau are Michigan and New York. That's why I like to tour down through Penn, WV, Virginia and North Carolina. Not only are the roads WAY better than back home, speeding tickets don't follow me back. However...if you get one on the Blue Ridge Parkway then you'd better pay it! Otherwise you don't get back into the U.S. again. Federal Park....federal offense! Trust me there. I found that lesson out the hard way. :blink:

It would be oh so nice to find the definitive list of what state and province reports to which. Anybody seen a link?

Some time ago I made a favorite of this link that one of the members posted: www.mit.edu that discusses the different state's speed laws. If you scroll down to the bottom there are other links.

I found this one: Guide to Traffic Laws to be very informative. Particularly the "Drivers Licence Compact" that lists the different states, and "The Non-Resident Violators Compact".

I didn't want to cut & paste copyrighted material.

"Kansas, Wyoming, Minnesota, Arizona, Iowa, and South Dakota will not put a speeding ticket on record unless it is 10 or more mph over the limit. Georgia will not enter speeding tickets unless they are more than 14 mph over the limit."

Hell, if you're within 10 or 14 miles of the limit, is that even speeding?

granted 6 months probation automatically because I had never had a ticket in TX.
deferred adjudication!

one of the best things TX does to promote/encourage safe driving instead of feeding the leo/insurance complex.

keep your nose clean (absolutely no tickets during the indicated time) and it drops off your record. get another ticket and the BOTH go on your record. encourages people to mind their manners.

Hell, if you're within 10 or 14 miles of the limit, is that even speeding?
not as long as that "within" is "under". technically +1 is speeding. and i can assure you that there's no certainty of a pass if keeping it to only +8 as i got stopped for +3 on an interstate once.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just read this thread for the first time and found it somewhat interesting. For most folks that get traffic tickets in Colorado, it is all about revenue. I did not see a follow-up on what actually happened with this ticket, but normally if you send in the fine the points (in Colorado) are automatically reduced but you pay the full fine. Often the best way to go. If one wants to go to court, they can normally meet just before court time with the prosecutor for traffic offenses, work out a plea, and get the points reduced. It is rare, however, for them to reduce the fine as they do like that revenue!!!

59 in a 40 and only $70 -- if this was correct you were lucky to be in a jurisdiction where the fine was so small. Also should be glad that he kept it below the 20 over figure, as that changes the points to six and increases the fine significantly also.

I've gotten a ticket here and now over the years here in Colorado, but it has never affected my insurance premiums. I try to keep them several years apart at a minimum!