Overheating after valve check...any ideas?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Iridium plugs can be gapped but most don't. Fine electrode is very easy to damage. I really think it doesn't matter larger gap will still work very well. Larger spark gap gives more area to ignite fuel mixture. NGK does not recommend gapping fine wire plugs. Iridium, Platinum. Unless something is damaged in shipping just install them.

Maybe it's just me but I always at least check the gap of new plugs right out of the box prior to installation. It's rare but more than once over the last 30 yrs I've found one out of spec.

I check them too but I almost never have to adjust. The iridium plugs are very easy to damage. If one was badly off (they can be damaged in shipping), I think I would return it.

As others have noted, the fine wire is fragile, welded to the center core and susceptible to damage if pried upon. Further, while NGK US does allow for adjustment, they note the max range is +-.008", otherwise the contacts may get too far out of alignment.