Overkilling your seat's comfort

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Auron

FJRForums' Red-headed stepchild
Reaction score
A few weeks ago I came across the magic ass board thread and started having ideas. My butt is really, really sensitive and just 2 hours into a ride my awesome seat from Rich wasn't exactly comfortable or pain0free. I really like the idea of supporting the thighs but didn't want to deal with a board under me, mostly because I like to sit up close to the tank. I also didn't want to be able to lose it, or forget about it. So I came up with these things made from steel rods, cutting board, a heavy duty hinge and cover it in black vinyl. These are a prototype and I'll proabably make something more asthetically appealing this winter after I see how they hold up. I also need to get them upholstered but you get the idea.

Both sides flip up independently and the hinges will fail if I forget about 'em and need to put my foot down, although telling myself they are a "5th gear only thing" will probably keep me from forgetting. Flipping them down is easy if you are comfortable standing up half way on the pegs and reaching back to put them up or down.

I was going to do a full write up and take pics along they way but I was making it up as I went along and didn't think many others would bother. Until I I tried them... absolutely retarded. Overkill to say the least but if you have butt pain like me or even close to it, and like to spend weeks on your bike pain-free, I'm telling you this is the shit. It's made to work with my custom seat and I'm not sure how it woould work with other types of seats but I sure am happy with them.

IMG_3266_zps141e11c6.jpg

IMG_3265_zps33c5c222.jpg

IMG_3267_zpsff4ed315.jpg

IMG_3268_zpsa3b32c90.jpg

IMG_3254_zps3c3303a5.jpg

Can you post a pic of you using it? I'm not picturing it right I'm sure.

Something like these? I heard Craig talk about this concept in the 80's when he got bought out by Bell.

2010-SeatWings-detail.jpg

So basically, we're talking entire lower body coverage here. It's amazing how much each one of your legs weigh and the pressure they pull down on your butt, your ishium bones in particular. You can see here how the foam conforms and just wraps around my thigh.

IMG_3277_zps53aa862f.jpg

Yup, same idea except it's attatched to the bike so installing and removing is a snap, and relatively no danger involved. They swing down into place perfectly every time.

Yup, same idea except it's attatched to the bike so installing and removing is a snap, and relatively no danger involved. They swing down into place perfectly every time.
Cool! From the time I got to listen to and talk with Craig Vetter--I think he'd be proud and supportive of your efforts. :)

^ LOL totally, I was thinking of naming it something to do with a toilet.