Owners with the large garauld racks

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike P

Reaction score
Garauld contacted me to tell me he was about to start on my rack/backrest......can't wait.

Question, I've seen some pics of some bags on his racks. What are the best fitting bags for his large racks? Are there any that don't need to be modified to fit good?

Last edited by a moderator:
Just about anything will hold 7 pounds of stuff ! I sometimes use a Pelican case to haul laptop. The MotoFizz medium bag from Aerostitch is very nice...

I personally like the soft bag idea. I've been looking for the pics I've see of some good looking bags on here but been unsuccessful so far.

You mention 7 pounds, is that that max one should consider when packing a tail bag?

Garauld contacted me to tell me he was about to start on my rack/backrest......can't wait.
Question, I've seen some pics of some bags on his racks. What are the best fitting bags for his large racks? Are there any that don't need to be modified to fit good?
I'm severely disappointed.. I glanced at the subject and all I saw was 'large racks'....

I should be getting my "large rack" from Garauld very soon as well. Take a look art the cortech tail bag, do a search and you'll find a great pic on an 08. I'm planning on ordering one as soon as my rack/backrest arrives.

Mike P, That's what Yamaha says you can carry back there. A bit conservative I'd think. A few (Ignacio for one) have had the rear casting fail due to weight issues . . . .

Mike P, That's what Yamaha says you can carry back there. A bit conservative I'd think. A few (Ignacio for one) have had the rear casting fail due to weight issues . . . .
Coming from the KLR world I know all about entire rear assemblies breaking off. I'll have to keep that in mind.

I have the big rack on my '06 and I have used the Nelson Rigg CL150, and currently have a Tour Master Deluxe bag. They both fit the rack well even with the rain cover on.

The NR had one large main compartment which expanded, but was a bit of a pain to attach unless you packed the expanded pack first. (The attachment points on the bag are ABOVE the expansion joint, so it wants to compress when you attach it to the bike.) If not expanded, it was easy to pack and attach. The side pockets expanded too. Good rain cover.

I like the TM because it has a large main compartment, is a little less ridged, and has 2 side compartments that can be unzipped inside to make the main even bigger. Good rain cover. It can be compressed and placed in a side bag if you want. Easier to carry by the grip-- more like a duffel off the bike. I think you can pack a little more in this bag, especially bigger items.

Both had keeper pockets in the "lids". They both could be attached to the rear seat of the '06 via bungies on the bags (the TM has little compartments to place the bungies when not in use, so they don't hang and snag), leaving the rack for more items.

The bungie hooks on both bags easily attach to the rack. I'd recommend either one.

B)

I have on order the large rack too for my 05

I do not like the look of the bag with the Shad or Givi

I am looking at your post now to find out which is the best tail bag to roder !

Keep posting guys ! :rolleyes: