Oxford Heated grip controller mounting.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kelvininin

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
I am getting ready to install the oxford heated grips on my 010 FJR, I am not thrilled with the mounting bracket and location it came with. I have google the crap out of this topic and little has shown up.

Where did you all who have oxford grips put the controller?

I have the Garauld radar detector plate mounted on the throttle side reservoir. I took the plate off and sandwiched the heat troller plate between the RD plate and the reservoir. I used a little piece of rubber to keep it from slipping (rotating really) I did capture one of the holes in the bracket. This means the bracket comes toward me and down. Adjustments aren't all that frequent. I have to take my hand off the grip to punch a button. PM your email and I will send a picture.

I glued it to the square plate behind the glove compartment where the factory controller is supposed to mount. I was not 100% happy with what I had to do with the wires but Pop and I felt that the handlebars were becoming a bit too cluttered.

Here is Pop holding it in place while the glue cures:

+1 on the 3M double sided tape. It works good and if you won't it off, you can peel it off pretty easy.

I do have the MCL triple Tree top clamp that is drilled and tapped for Ram Balls, I may utilize one of those to mount the controller. Interestingly it is a similar size as the stock controller. I wish the wire exited the back of the controller, and I would just mount in place of the Yamaha controller... In fact I may take the thing apart to see if I can reorient the wires.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mine is similar to yours. I made up a plate out some scrap aluminum about 1/16th thick. I bent it at about a 45 degree angle as you can see in the picture. I drilled a couple holes, and mounted it flush to the top of the brake reservoir with a couple slightly longer stainless steel button head allen screws. After painting it black, I used 3M double stick tape to mount my controller's flat back to the new aluminum plate. Never had an issue with it in the four years since it was mounted.

IMG_0222_1.jpg

I was dinking around in the shop last night, I had picked up a ram ball for the clutch level mirror mount socket, I think I will mount the controller there using my college of ram mount stuff from my last three bikes.

The GPS will be mounted to the triple tree clamp when the ram balls for those sockets arrive.

Slowly coming along.

Having a heated shop in MN is heaven. We moved into our place 1.5 years ago but didn't get around to firing the shop heater until last week... Very nice.

I installed mine on the triangular dash area beside the tach with foam tape. I tried it on the knockout panel where Redfish Hunter had it but couldn't see the LED's. My location is easier to see but it is a longer reach to operate the switches.

Having a heated shop in MN is heaven. We moved into our place 1.5 years ago but didn't get around to firing the shop heater until last week... Very nice.
Jealous and now back to your regular scheduled program.
Don't be too Jealous, we moved from Seattle. I now have real winter to deal with, and the riding isn't as good, neither is the scuba diving. The Camping is ok, the housing is affordable, and the public schools are better, the traffic isn't bad... It's a trade off.

Just came in from the garage and used the search function to find this thread.

Have considered most of the options discussed here but have not settled on one yet.

Considering making a bracket that bolts directly to the threaded clutch side hole.

If I come up with anything I like, I'll post here.

Just came in from the garage and used the search function to find this thread.Have considered most of the options discussed here but have not settled on one yet.

Considering making a bracket that bolts directly to the threaded clutch side hole.

NO! Why did you use the search function when you could have started a thread of your very own!
smile.png

Very well done. Well done indeed.

After I posted the pic in this thread and read what others had to say, I asked Dad what he thought about his mounting location. I had to laugh at him, he is just happy to have heated grips. He loves these things.

Just came in from the garage and used the search function to find this thread.Have considered most of the options discussed here but have not settled on one yet.

NO! Why did you use the search function when you could have started a thread of your very own!
smile.png

Very well done. Well done indeed.

After I posted the pic in this thread and read what others had to say, I asked Dad what he thought about his mounting location. I had to laugh at him, he is just happy to have heated grips. He loves these things.
I'll probably be the same way. I can put up with a little ugly for a lot of comfort.

When my Yamaha heated grips (Gen I) crapped out 3 times I used the Yamaha heat controller for heat tapes. When those quit I replaced the whole thing with an Oxford system. I simply popped off the Yamaha heat controller and stuck the Oxford controller on the same bracket. The brackets were re-purposed joist hanger brackets which were cut up, shaped and a bit of black paint, with the byproducts of lots of metal filings and unidentifiable metal skeletons. There was little bending to be done, the brackets I chose from on hand collection offered portions that were almost the correct shape and just needed the extra metal removed. The spacer can be found at most hardware stores and I used a couple of washers to meet the 'critical spacing' ;)

pad3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I installed mine on the triangular dash area beside the tach with foam tape. I tried it on the knockout panel where Redfish Hunter had it but couldn't see the LED's. My location is easier to see but it is a longer reach to operate the switches.
After much experimenting I made a similar choice. Except I put mine on the right side next to the LCD display. On the gen 2 the flat side of the display and the flat edge of the controller make a nice line. I reach to that area to toggle the odo's and temp/gas mileage functions anyway so i figured it wasn't too bad of a reach.

Not totally happy with my cable routing but every option was some sort of compromise.

They certainly do give you enough cable! I guess that's so the guys with ape hangers can use the product.

In hindsight I would be tempted to cut their cables and make my own wiring harness next time. Especially if I were installing them on a new bike.