Packing List

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Defiant

Reaction score
Okay all you long trip pros, I have a question about how much you pack on at least a 7 day ride. I have an idea on the essentials. How many pants, shirts, and whatevers can you get in an FJR. I have the side bags, GIVI top case and tank bag. C'mon, give it up..

I didn't realize that I had committed a grievous board posting faux paux. I only figured that since long rides involved packing, this would be an ok place to ask. I humbly beg your forgiveness for transgressing and creating a post that will undoubtedly disrupt the entire fabric of the universe.....idiot

For your punishment for a post on the wrong board will be, hmmm............... It o.k.

Now I use three pants three shirts simple. One on two along for the ride :haha Hope this helps

Five boxers, six socks, 2 undershirts, 3 shirts, 2 pants, one polartec vest, one pair leather gloves, one medium towel, assorted personal junk in the leather shaving 'kit', riding boots, dock shoes.

We stop at a laundromat when we need a break & the clean supplies are running low. Wash, get lunch, dryer, check town, reload & go.

Works for me, of course YMMV...

A shaving kit. 1 change of underwear, 1 change of socks, the shirt and pants I have on, my riding gear, a way to hydrate while riding, a flat fix kit, a roadside assistance plan, and cash+credit card.

Pack less crap and take more money. The bike will handle better and you'll have what you need (when you need it) by stopping to pick up replacements while on your trip. Underwear, shirt and pants can be bought in any small town. Leave the dirty stuff behind.

I can report that the above list worked well for an 11 day trip that took me around the entire US.

I may pack 1 extra pair of jeans (but usually not). When packed to the hilt it's:

1 pair of gym shorts

2 pairs of socks (in addition to what I have on)

2 pairs of underwear (in addition to what I have on)

2 extra t-shirts (in addition to what I have on) (1 long sleeved)

1 pair of boat shoes or sandels

Every 3rd day make sure you pick a hotel/motel with a laundy and wash all your dirty stuff and repack it for the next 3 days. Repeat for the rest of the time you're on the road.

Because I chose my riding jacket/pants well, I don't need rain gear. The liner of the jacket and pants can be stowed or used when the weather changes enough to warrant it. In the winter I wear my Widder heated gear and (when really cold) polypro long johns for layering over it. So boots, helmet, gloves, liner/heated gear are worn and not packed (taking no room on the bike). If it gets hot, I open the vents on the pants/jacket. If it gets cold or wet I close the vents.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great advice, thanks, we really appreciate it. Wife already proclaimed the laundromat part. Best advice seems to be KISS.

Every 3rd day make sure you pick a hotel/motel with a laundy and wash all your dirty stuff and repack it for the next 3 days. Repeat for the rest of the time you're on the road.
What to do about detergent? Pack along a supply, or buy the expensive little one-use servings from the vending machine? Do hotel laundry rooms all even have the vending machines?

I took 3 of everything, My wife took 4. various other stuff for safety/fun/convenience.

I think for safety, a minimum of a good first aid kit and a tire puncture repair kit is in order. However, Iron Butt discussions in the right place for this thread (universal fabric tearing dude) have better information regarding safety gear.

Had to expand to a fairly large tank bag to accomodate it all:

DSC00114.jpg

What to do about detergent? Pack along a supply, or buy the expensive little one-use servings from the vending machine? Do hotel laundry rooms all even have the vending machines?
Buy the expensive little boxes. It's cheaper than hauling it around (space, weight, etc.). Those hotels where you make reservations, can be asked before reserving a room. Places where you stop for the night can also be asked. More than once I've had the clerk give me access to their commercial machines (and supplies) when they didn't have a guest laundry. They can't say no if you don't ask.

Last edited by a moderator: