Paint on a helmet

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TRYP

Reaction score
My son just bought a scooter to commute to & from work to save on gas. He's interested in painting or applying some graphics to his new helmet. One of my brothers (the know-it-all one) claims that nothing should ever be placed on a motorcycle helmet as this will compromise it's integrity. I find this hard to believe, considering the fact that Valentino Rossi always has great looking graphics on his helmets when racing. I'm pretty sure he he wouldn't do that if paint or graphics would weaken the helmet.

Anyone know if Mr. know-it-all is talking out of the nether regions of his anatomy?

Most helmets say this that nothing should be applied in the way of paint or chemicals. The reason is; the manufacturer can not control what one uses for paint or chemicals. Some coatings and cleaners could damage or eat the helmet coating, being maybe thermoplastic etc. Most fiberglass helmets should be ok; however, that's at your own risk. I've painted numerous helmets of mine using hardened acrylic enamel. That was 20 years back too.

I have no clue what modern paints are maid of, and anything out of a spray can may have who knows what in it.

I'd consult the manufacturers recommendations and a professional painter if the mfgr is silent.

Good luck.

I've understood the reason for the "no painting" rule is so you couldn't cover up flaws, and that would only be an issue if you were buying somebody's used, painted helmet. When I was in the Air Force we had this reflective material that could be "painted" on equipment that was going to be on the flight line. It came out real thick and rough-textured, kind of like that non-slip paint for concrete steps--almost like a "Rhino Lining" roughness. I painted it all over my old 3/4 helmet at the time. That thing glowed in the dark like crazy--reflected light, that is. Didn't really glow. It was kind of cool, actually. But it didn't melt or fall apart. I think it has to be completely safe to paint some graphics or whatever on your own helmet, myself.

There's a guy in the Nashville area that paints helmets, among other things, for a living. He does a pretty nice job of it too. I think the theory put forward by Sacramento is pretty reasonable.

A professional painter who does that type of work can get it painted for you, however there's more to the processes than meets the eye. Especially like mentioned earlier, the wrong chemicals are used they can compromise the materials on the helmet in ways that will not be visible to the naked eye. Unfortunately you won't find out until the helmet does not work appropriately (or maybe not even then as crashes hide that type of damage). Bottom line is use a professional, or better (and cheaper) just order a helmet with the scheme you want on it from someplace like helmetcity.com etc

All high end helmets are actually painted, even if it's just clear as a finish over decals, and most low to middle priced ones are painted as well.

The point especially for high end helmets is to use the right paint as to avoid delamination of the glass layers...

I don't exactly know what paint to use, but it should be a low VOC, low solvent contents type. I know there are lot's of stickers out there meant for better visibility - might be a good alternative to painting.

Last edited by a moderator: