Painting Bike - Color Opinons

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Found in another area of the forum:

DSC00600.JPG
DSC00601.JPG

DSC00602.JPG

DSC00603.JPG

DSC00604.JPG

I like the white better when the side panels under the seat are also white. I've found that to be the case with all the custom colors I've seen. People leave the side pieces silver, when (to me) they should be the body color.

I do like the white as a base, but to me it just looks like it needs something. The cool part about the white is that with modern vinyl from a sign shop you could make the bike look totally different whenever the mood suits.

But then, it's your bike so I'll shut up now...

Bob

Yeah, gotta agree about white. Too dull for my tastes. The red looks awesome, though. I've mulled doing something to the paint scheme on my '05, but it's not at the top of the list. Has anyone done paint as a DIY project? I've got to get an airbrush for a home improvement project and when Warchild's suspension group buy comes through I'll probably participate, which means the bike is down (1) and I have time to do something like that if it's something one can DIY.

Speaking of painting the bikes, btw, is the flat black "interior half" of the saddlebags unpaintable? I didn't see where anyone painted the whole bag, just the outer cover.

Rancho

(1) "Down" for values of "not rideable but not wrecked." :rolleyes:

Okay, I'm heading off to the paint shop today, I have decided on Lambo Pearl Yellow... if it looks half as good as I think it will I will be very pleased. In the end I decided to go with a pearl to hide the dirt, scratches, dead bugs, stone chips, etc. Yellow - well it's always been a color I like, had a few cars that were yellow and a bike or two as well. Once I get everything back I will attempt to post the pictures! Thanks to everyone for your help!!!

Okay, I'm heading off to the paint shop today, I have decided on Lambo Pearl Yellow... if it looks half as good as I think it will I will be very pleased. In the end I decided to go with a pearl to hide the dirt, scratches, dead bugs, stone chips, etc. Yellow - well it's always been a color I like, had a few cars that were yellow and a bike or two as well. Once I get everything back I will attempt to post the pictures! Thanks to everyone for your help!!!
How much is the shop quoting you on the full respray? Are they doing all the prep as well, or have you already pulled the plastic and done the prep work?

It looks good here

Plus is should go well with the trim on your helmet (assuming that is you in your avatar) :)

Sorry, but to me that white Feejer is just wrong. It looks like a police bike that hasn't yet gotten the rest of the paint job.
Wasn't my intent when I painted it, BUT I do have days where people just move out of my way.

There were alot of ST coppers around here this summer, so I do think some people mistake

me as such. I just need a white helmet... ah, I'd probably get shot.

Nothing quite like coming down a road and having people pull over and let you by....

The bike almost got painted candy lime gold, but the test panels just didn't look good.

The pics do not show the pearl, it just doesn't really show up in the pics, but it glows gold

in the sun.

The main point of the paint job was to get a color that didn't already exist in the fjr world.

Besides that, I live in Texas, where you want to stay away from the dark colors.
I had the blinky headlights on mine... it was amazing how many peeps got out of my way on the freeway...

but I never got to ride it in Texas...<G>

Mary

Well, I just dropped off the plastics & tank, I have no idea what they are going to charge me, the place I work at sends them lots and lots of business so I hope that counts for something when the bill comes.

Yes, I did do a lot of prep work, I took every piece off the bike, cleaned and removed all the stickers - I hope it turns out as great as I think it will - once done I will post lots of pictures!!!!

That is if I can get it back together again! lots of bolts....