Painting mirrors; what's the best way?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thx for the kudos. After taping the glass, I suggest wet sanding with 400 grit then a coat of black primer, wet sand lightly and a top coat of Duplicolor to match. Clear top if more gloss needed. You cannot remove the glass and reassemble.

MadGerman, I know it's been said, but sell them here on the Forum, and buy a set of GenI FZ1 mirrors. Once you try them, you'll wonder why you waited so long. And they're black. Black goes with everything!

You cannot remove the glass and reassemble.
Good to know. I've tried with my broken one and couldn't figure out how. Nice to know my failure wasn't due to technique.
I still find it hilarious how the FZ1 guys hate their mirrors and the FJR guys think they are the bees knees. I've never had a problem with my FJR mirrors, and when I did break one, I couldn't find any of these FZ1 mirror users to sell me their old mirrors that they deem so useless.

I saw a write up, can't remember exactly where, but the guy actually removed the glass from the mirror body. He heated the mirror up a bit and then pried it off with a putty knife. If I see the link again, I'll post it up.

I saw a write up, can't remember exactly where, but the guy actually removed the glass from the mirror body. He heated the mirror up a bit and then pried it off with a putty knife. If I see the link again, I'll post it up.
Ignacio, installing a volt meter in the mirror so it displays out the glass.

Ignacio, installing a volt meter in the mirror so it displays out the glass.
Haven't a few people done that? I know I've seen it more than once.

They are painted. Acetone won't affect the OEM paint if applied lightly. It may if a soaked towelette is rubbed on the paint for more than a minute. It will affect unpainted ABS plastic immediately.