Pants for the short & fat

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevec677

Reaction score
I'm looking to step up from jeans and a get real pair of riding pants for 50-75 degree weather. I already have a pair of Tourmaster Tracker Air Pants for 75+ days. My problem is a 30" inseam and a 38" waist (picture a refrigerator with a head). Any suggestions?

I'm looking to step up from jeans and a get real pair of riding pants for 50-75 degree weather. I already have a pair of Tourmaster Tracker Air Pants for 75+ days. My problem is a 30" inseam and a 38" waist (picture a refrigerator with a head). Any suggestions?
Well... maybe...

one thing to keep in mind Steve, if you don't already know, but motorcycle pants yer gonna want to add maybe 2 inches to the length because when yer seated on the bike you don't want the legs length to ride up to your shins.

I was lucky when I bought some used Cortech jeans (with leather in seat and knees), they were 32 but I normally wear 30. Guess what? they are the perfect size for riding.

I'd suggest looking at the Cortech jeans or Draggin Jeans. They can still keep you comfortable in the summer and have some protection in case of a crash.

good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
Joe Rocket makes sizes that should fit you, and you can also look at the Tourmaster Air Venture pants. You are definately not looking hard enough.

Olympia makes all kinds of sizes, Fieldsheer, you name it.

I'm also a 30" inseam but with a svelte 36" waist (37 after a full meal). I bought Olympia Airglide 3 pants https://olympiamotosports.com/catalog/mesh-tech/mens-airglide-3-mesh-tech-overpant/ .

One reason was that they can be easily hemmed, up to 6". A local seamstress took them up to 33" after measuring me on the bike - worked out great. They have a waterproof liner which gives great insulation, as I discovered last week when the temp dropped to around 0 C (?? F) and it snowed. Tried them out yesterday without the liner, lots of air flow - in fact I came back shorter, if you know what I mean ;)

One of the problems I ran into 29" inseam was the placement of the knee armor. If I bought a regular length say a large regular

yes the length was ok when on the bike but the armor was to low on the knee. And I did have the armor as high as possible.

Now this may vary from brand to brand but it was true of the two I tried. Rev'it Tornado has a short and this is what I wear in

warm weather. I do wish they were longer but the armor placement is a higher priority for me. They look great off the bike.

I also wear Diamond Gusset Defender jeans. They have Kevlar panels. They come in most sizes.

+1 on the 32" inseam, you don't want to look like the cruiser guys with their pants up around their knees. I am a 29" inseam and I have a pair of Joe Rocket pants with a 32" inseam, they are perfect for the bike. And NO I'm not a gnome I just have a longer torso area. lol

Thanks for the suggestion of the longer leg to prevent exposed ankles or higher. I think I am going to go with the Tourmaster Flex pant. I wish I had seen them before I bought the air pants. It looks like the Flex can serve both warm and cold weather. Does anyone have an opinion on the Tourmaster Flex pants?

I don't know if would be an appropriate option to the Tourmaster, but I have to say the Joe Rocket I have, and I believe they are the older 3.0, have served me very well. They are waterproof, and they are that so far, 2 2500km round trip runs to Laconia New Hampshire from Nova Scotia Canada in the last 2 years in down pours and I didn't get wet. When it's dry and warmer you can unzip the legs from the hip down to the knee and that lets a lot of air in. My 2 cents worth.